what motherboard to go for

Hi there.

I want to know what motherboard to go for. I want to go crossfire. Already have the other GPU My old pc will be going to my brother and he will just add a GPU to it. Anyway I will be installing a 4790K when it launches in about 3-4 weeks here.

This ranges from cheap to expensive. I'm looking for reliability.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z97_GA...#hero-overview

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z97GD6...#hero-overview

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z97_MP...#hero-overview

I'm thinking of going with the Z97-gd65 or Z97 gaming cause looking at the pictures it features their SFC chokes across the board.

The rest of the specs will be as follows.

corsair air540

AMD r9-280x crossfire (already have them both)

Corsair h100i

Sound Blaster Z

16GB 1600mhz RAM

2560x1440 @ 110Hz monitor

So all i need to know is what motherboard is better and why. Thanks for the info. Oh and where I stay and the supplier i use I can only get MSi boards. Not going to explain myself just give me an answer

Gaming 9 ac of course :D . I hate the yellow on that motherboard, even worse than the asus gold *yuck*

The Z97-GD65 looks hard. MSi makes good motherboards, I'd go with that one.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

any specific reasons why

As i mentionned in the other thread...i would pick the Gaming 5 and call it a day, that's all you need.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

As i mentionned in the other thread...i would pick the Gaming 5 and call it a day, that's all you need.

Yeah. what I can find out is that the 4790k still has integrated VRM so again regardless of what board you run your overclocking will be about the same. i'm not looking for every last mhz I can push. Heck i don't even know if I will overclock it for now cause it's already running 4GHz. I will most probably use the enhanced turbo to make it o 4.4GHz on all four cores at the same time and not like 1 core 4.4GHz and some slower. 

Looking at the gaming 5 it looks like a solid board. it actually has everything I need by the looks of it. thanks for the info man.

Yeah. what I can find out is that the 4790k still has integrated VRM so again regardless of what board you run your overclocking will be about the same. i'm not looking for every last mhz I can push. Heck i don't even know if I will overclock it for now cause it's already running 4GHz. I will most probably use the enhanced turbo to make it o 4.4GHz on all four cores at the same time and not like 1 core 4.4GHz and some slower. 

Looking at the gaming 5 it looks like a solid board. it actually has everything I need by the looks of it. thanks for the info man.

no problem, it is indeed an amazing motherboard that will suit 99% of the users out there very well...it has everything one might want from a good quality gaming motherboard. And yes you are right the FIVR (wich is Fully Integrated Voltage Regulator) does makes overclocking about the same on every motherboards now, and this board as OCgenie so if you don't like messing with the settings and stuff you can just hit that and call it a day...it will probably run your chip at 4.2 or 4.4ghz...but most of the time it will apply to much voltage for what is really needed this is why i would suggest a manual overclock but OCgenie will give you a good idea of where to begin with your overclocking process...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

no problem, it is indeed an amazing motherboard that will suit 99% of the users out there very well...it has everything one might want from a good quality gaming motherboard. And yes you are right the FIVR (wich is Fully Integrated Voltage Regulator) does makes overclocking about the same on every motherboards now, and this board as OCgenie so if you don't like messing with the settings and stuff you can just hit that and call it a day...it will probably run your chip at 4.2 or 4.4ghz...but most of the time it will apply to much voltage for what is really needed this is why i would suggest a manual overclock but OCgenie will give you a good idea of where to begin with your overclocking process...

Thanks for that one and I'm sure i will be saving money

why did msi even launched the Z97 G45 gaming and the GD65 gaming? wenn they also have the gaming 5/7/9.

i still dont understand anything about that. lol

its rediculous annoying, in my opinnion, same with all those diffrent gigabyte models..

Gaming 7 looks nice to me.

why did msi even launched the Z97 G45 gaming and the GD65 gaming? wenn they also have the gaming 5/7/9.

i still dont understand anything about that. lol

its rediculous annoying, in my opinnion, same with all those diffrent gigabyte models..

Gaming 7 looks nice to me.

the Z87-G45 and Z87-GD45 are the chipset Z87 board...

the Z97 Gaming 3, gaming 5 and gaming 7 and 9 are the Z97 board...they now changed the naming scheme...exactly to be less annoying...i find gaming 3,5,7,9 to be much better than strange ''code letters'' naming scheme.

i think the Z97-G45 is an exception and came out BEFORE they actually adopted the new naming scheme..from now on it should be gaming 3,5,7 and 9...

the Z87-G45 and Z87-GD45 are the chipset Z87 board...

the Z97 Gaming 3, gaming 5 and gaming 7 and 9 are the Z97 board...they now changed the naming scheme...exactly to be less annoying...i find gaming 3,5,7,9 to be much better than strange ''code letters'' naming scheme.

i think the Z97-G45 is an exception and came out BEFORE they actually adopted the new naming scheme..from now on it should be gaming 3,5,7 and 9...

yeah indeed, i realy did not understand why they released a Z97 G45 gaming, but probably like you said, this board maybe was made before the name chancing, anyway, i agree that i do like 3,5,7,9 naming more.

The only thing that still sucks at msi webside, they are not realy detailed in theire power delivery specs. only on the Mpower series

yeah indeed, i realy did not understand why they released a Z97 G45 gaming, but probably like you said, this board maybe was made before the name chancing, anyway, i agree that i do like 3,5,7,9 naming more.

The only thing that still sucks at msi webside, they are not realy detailed in theire power delivery specs. only on the Mpower series

power delivery specs are non relevant with intel haswell...it's not like AMD where you need beefy VRM's heatsinks and digital 8+2 power phase...intel haswell chips has FIVR (Fully Integrated Voltage Regulator) so basicaly the CPU is regulating the voltage on it's own...making overclocking results pretty much the same with every motherboard from the Z87 or Z97 chipset...all you get with higher end motherboard is more features (more Picexpress lanes...more sata port and USB ports etc..) and different color scheme...this is why in most case the super high-end intel 1150 boards are non relevant, the gaming 5 will fit 99% of the users very well...if not looking for dual GPu i would even recommand the Gaming 3.

power delivery specs are non relevant with intel haswell...it's not like AMD where you need beefy VRM's heatsinks and digital 8+2 power phase...intel haswell chips has FIVR (Fully Integrated Voltage Regulator) so basicaly the CPU is regulating the voltage on it's own...making overclocking results pretty much the same with every motherboard from the Z87 or Z97 chipset...all you get with higher end motherboard is more features (more Picexpress lanes...more sata port and USB ports etc..) and different color scheme...this is why in most case the super high-end intel 1150 boards are non relevant, the gaming 5 will fit 99% of the users very well...if not looking for dual GPu i would even recommand the Gaming 3.

i know but i personaly still prefer "decent" power delivery components.

Msi gaming 7 looks like the sweet spot to me, price to performance.

i know but i personaly still prefer "decent" power delivery components.

Msi gaming 7 looks like the sweet spot to me, price to performance.

gaming 5 has the 8 phase VRM's and 3x pcie3.0 16x lanes operating a 8x/8x on SLI setups (wich is equivalent to X16/X16 PCIe2.0) or 3way crossfire (X8/x4/x4) so it is the sweet sport for anybody looking for best performance (highest overclocks possible) and dual GPU support. The gaming 7 and gaming 9 are the same. (X8/X8 and 8 phase or X8/X4/X4)

gaming 5 has the 8 phase VRM's and 2x pcie3.0 16x lanes operating a 8x/8x on SLI setups (wich is equivalent to X16/X16 PCIe2.0) so it is the sweet sport for anybody looking for best performance (highest overclocks possible) and dual GPU support. The gaming 7 is the same. (X8/X8 and 8 phase)

Ah cool.

i thought that the gaming 5 was the G43 gaming replacement, and the Gaming 7, the G45 replacement. and the gaming 9 the GD65 replacement...

i guess i need to get deeper into the specs of the new msi gaming series thanks :D

Knowing haswell you not going to overclock much better with a more advanced motherboard. the gaming 5 looks like the best solution for me. I'm going to go crossfire and only a few hdd so nothing really too much except for the crossfire. I was running a z77a-g45 thunderbolt board until the pci-e went faulty. I'm just waiting for 4790 to come out then I will buy everything I need.

Ah cool.

i thought that the gaming 5 was the G43 gaming replacement, and the Gaming 7, the G45 replacement. and the gaming 9 the GD65 replacement...

i guess i need to get deeper into the specs of the new msi gaming series thanks :D

nahh the gaming 5 is the z87-g45 replacement, the gaming 3 is lower it wont support sli, like the g43..

nahh the gaming 5 is the z87-g45 replacement, the gaming 3 is lower it wont support sli, like the g43..

yeah i know the G43 did not support sli, But i thought that the gaming 5 was the G43 replacement, lol.

But i was wrong on that. cause its the G45 replacement lol. :D