Back on my quest for a silent PC

A few months back I posted a topic trying to better optimize my PC for silence, and I acted upon it, but I'm still not satisfied. I kitted my PC with noctua fans, replacing my Bitfenix Spectre Pro 230mm & 120mm intake/exhaust fans with Noctua NF-A14 as well as replacing my CPU cooler fan with an NF-F12. All are using Low-noise adaptors running off my P8Z77-I Deluxe's PWM fan headers with a fan curve that keeps those fans running at reasonably low RPMs when there is a low load. I tried using EVGA PrecisionX and MSI afterburner to set up a  reasonable fan curve for my EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX, but the fans will hardly go under 50%, which is like 1350 RPM (and is pretty freaking annoying, expecially when I want to leave my computer on overnight to download a game). I've run my PC without the GPU and it was magnificent, but taking my GPU out every time I'm not gaming is not really feasable.

So, now I have a budget of ~$100 to neutralize this GPU noise. It is worth noting I live in CANADA. I have been contemplating a kraken G10 but I wouldn't know which AIO to grab that is compatible with the bracket, will keep the total under $100 and is 140mm (already have a NF-A14 and I don't want it to go to waste).

Also, a new chassis is not an option as I use the prodigy for LAN.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

Sound deadening material/acoustic panelling.

My Silencio 650 is completely lined on the inside and it is in a soundproof pit that I have created next to my sofa using convoluted stuidio foam, the machine is barely audible and it's all running on air with Noctua NF-F12s and P12s.

Sound deadening material/acoustic panelling.

My Silencio 650 is completely lined on the inside and it is in a sounproof pit that I have created next to my sofa using convoluted stuidio foam, the machine is barely audible and it's all running on air with Noctua NF-F12s and P12s.

Any recommendations of foam kits or good peices of foam for inside a prodigy? Every site I find is a UK website.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

Any recommendations of foam kits or good peices of foam for inside a prodigy? Every site I find is a UK website.

Oh damn I didn't realise it was one of those.

A few months back I posted a topic trying to better optimize my PC for silence, and I acted upon it, but I'm still not satisfied. I kitted my PC with noctua fans, replacing my Bitfenix Spectre Pro 230mm & 120mm intake/exhaust fans with Noctua NF-A14 as well as replacing my CPU cooler fan with an NF-F12. All are using Low-noise adaptors running off my P8Z77-I Deluxe's PWM fan headers with a fan curve that keeps those fans running at reasonably low RPMs when there is a low load. I tried using EVGA PrecisionX and MSI afterburner to set up a reasonable fan curve for my EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX, but the fans will hardly go under 50%, which is like 1350 RPM (and is pretty freaking annoying, expecially when I want to leave my computer on overnight to download a game). I've run my PC without the GPU and it was magnificent, but taking my GPU out every time I'm not gaming is not really feasable.

So, now I have a budget of ~$100 canadian to neutralize this GPU noise. I have been contemplating a kraken G10 but I wouldn't know which AIO to grab that is compatible with the bracket, will keep the total under $100 and is 140mm (already have a NF-A14 and I don't want it to go to waste).

Also, a new chassis is not an option as I use the prodigy for LAN.

If you use the G10 the AIO will be the loudest component :P, as for foam just go to the DIY or craft shop and get some foam that feels like it would do the job.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

If you use the G10 the AIO will be the loudest component :P, as for foam just go to the DIY or craft shop and get some foam that feels like it would do the job.

Well, the GPU runs at something like 50 decibels under load and 37 at idle while every other part in my PC is under 25 decibels under load. I assume AIO units aren't that loud (at least the pumps) as there are lots of people who buy them for silence. I do plan on eventually making sure my build is powered exclusively by noctua fans (including the 92mm on the G10) so noise from crap fans isnt an issue. Only problem is that I don't know of any 140mm AIOs that would work with my budget as I'd rather not have my NF-A14 go unused.

I'll have to get the internal dimensions of my case and areas I'd be able to cover with foam but does the foam Michaels or another craft store carry  have there differ from the acoustic insulation that they have at quietpc.ca?

xoxo samantha <3

Well, the GPU runs at something like 50 decibels under load and 37 at idle while every other part in my PC is under 25 decibels under load. I assume AIO units aren't that loud (at least the pumps) as there are lots of people who buy them for silence. I do plan on eventually making sure my build is powered exclusively by noctua fans (including the 92mm on the G10) so noise from crap fans isnt an issue. Only problem is that I don't know of any 140mm AIOs that would work with my budget as I'd rather not have my NF-A14 go unused.

I'll have to get the internal dimensions of my case and areas I'd be able to cover with foam but does the foam Michaels or another craft store carry  have there differ from the acoustic insulation that they have at quietpc.ca?

You could try the X40, replace the stock fan with your NF-A14 + a G10. Don't know what prices you can get them for in your area but I came to $120 in my search, just slightly over your budget. NZXT AIO's have some of the quietest pumps on the market, as far as AIO pumps go. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

I'll have to get the internal dimensions of my case and areas I'd be able to cover with foam but does the foam Michaels or another craft store carry have there differ from the acoustic insulation that they have at quietpc.ca?

People don't buy AIO's for silence they buy them for looks, however if your GPU is really that loud I guess a AIO would be quieter but I wouldn't say it's worth the money, why not take the stock fans off the GPU and cable tie some noctua's onto it (better temps and quieter performance).

Also I'm not a foam expert, but I expect if it's "squashy" open cell foam like this http://www.westernrubber.com/wp-content/uploads/mat_WesLastomer-Grade-4700-Partially-Open-Cell-Sponge_2012-07.jpg

It will do the job

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

I have a GTX760 personally and there is a bios update for it at the EVGA site. If one is not listed, you can email them requesting one, which I did. Default it comes with 41% the lowest iirc, but now 30% is the lowest which is a huge reduction in noise.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Will a G10 even fit into a Prodigy?

It has a dual slot and then some so I assume it would fit.

Also:

USznvS4.png

QLQNErQ.jpg

I have a GTX760 personally and there is a bios update for it at the EVGA site. If one is not listed, you can email them requesting one, which I did. Default it comes with 41% the lowest iirc, but now 30% is the lowest which is a huge reduction in noise.

From what I see the bios update is only for the Dual Bios GTX 760. I have a 02G-P4-2765-KR GTX 760 which (from reading about 15 threads on the EVGA forums) does not have the bios update available to it and EVGA does not plan on releasing an update giving real control of the fans.

You could try the X40, replace the stock fan with your NF-A14 + a G10. Don't know what prices you can get them for in your area but I came to $120 in my search, just slightly over your budget. NZXT AIO's have some of the quietest pumps on the market, as far as AIO pumps go. 

I just saw on nzxt's website there's a kraken x41, would it be worth waiting for that? Would it be compatible with the G10? Also, I am in canada so prices are inherently more expensive. The cheapest I could find is $36 for the G10 bracket and $99 for the Kraken X40. 

xoxo samantha <3

I just saw on nzxt's website there's a kraken x41, would it be worth waiting for that? Would it be compatible with the G10? Also, I am in canada so prices are inherently more expensive. The cheapest I could find is $36 for the G10 bracket and $99 for the Kraken X40. 

I doubt NZXT would make an AIO that isn't compatible with their other products, so yeah it'll work. The X41 is the new model of the X40, quoting NZXT the changes from the X40 are that it's 40% thicker (=more surface area for better performance), has a variable speed pump and integration with they're CAM fan and temp monitor/control software suite, kind of like Corsair Link that Corsair has for it's products. Both the X40 and the X41 would be good, the X40 if you can get it cheaper than the X41. As for the price it's only $30 over your budget but yeah that's up to you. I don't see any other 140mm AIO's in the compatibility list that I would recommend. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

There is a new bios to allow lower fan speeds for the ACX cards, check the EVGA forums for it.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

There is a new bios to allow lower fan speeds for the ACX cards, check the EVGA forums for it.

Please link me as I fail to find any official bios releases for the 02G-P4-2765-KR GTX 760.

xoxo samantha <3

Please link me as I fail to find any official bios releases for the 02G-P4-2765-KR GTX 760.

I misremembered what versions it worked with, unfortunately yours is not one of them.

Here is the link anyways

http://forums.evga.com/DOWNLOAD-Official-Reduced-Fan-Noise-BIOS-Update-for-EVGA-GTX-760-2GB-SC-2762-m2152478.aspx

and here's a link to an unofficial bios if you're feeling brave.

http://forums.evga.com/Unofficial-BIOS-update-for-GTX760-SC-ACX-modding-02GP42765KR-02GP43765KR-m2126173.aspx

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

q

If you want it to be truly silent, stay away from NF-F12's, they're audible @ 5 volts (600 RPM)  In my personal experience, the only time they were "Truly silent" was @ ~400 RPM, which just doesn't move much air at all.

Controlling them with PWM at 600 RPM didn't make a big difference, they were still clearly audible.

I think using a bios to tone-down the GPU noise would be good, such as @Lord Pantaloons suggested.

Flashing bios is actually quite simple, if you brick it & have another card laying around, you can use that as your display and re-flash the original bios back on.

I recommend trying to see if anyones done it to the card you have first, just to double check.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Sell your gtx 760 and buy another one. I'm p surprised your 760 runs at such a high RPM, I've read they're uber quiet. Boom problem solved :P.

Sell your gtx 760 and buy another one. I'm p surprised your 760 runs at such a high RPM, I've read they're uber quiet. Boom problem solved :P.

I'll end up taking a ~$100 hit and I'd rather get some sort of setup that will be usable when I upgrade my GPU rather than lose money for no real upgrade that won't be usable in the future.

Also, I think half the noise is coming from how close my 760 is to my side panel (it seems to be quieter when the side panel is off than when it's on).

If you want it to be truly silent, stay away from NF-F12's, they're audible @ 5 volts (600 RPM)  In my personal experience, the only time they were "Truly silent" was @ ~400 RPM, which just doesn't move much air at all.

Controlling them with PWM at 600 RPM didn't make a big difference, they were still clearly audible.

I think using a bios to tone-down the GPU noise would be good, such as @Lord Pantaloons suggested.

Flashing bios is actually quite simple, if you brick it & have another card laying around, you can use that as your display and re-flash the original bios back on.

I recommend trying to see if anyones done it to the card you have first, just to double check.

I find the level of the F12s to be perfect. My goal is to get my pc to run around 20db idle. I'm not that much of a quiet freak but my PC (in it's current state) is too loud to be ignored.

I'm too paranoid from having bricked a few devices to try installing a custom bios on my 760. Also, I'm not sure how I'd be able to re-flash the original bios on if I only have one PCI slot (meaning I can only have 1 GPU).

xoxo samantha <3

I'll end up taking a ~$100 hit and I'd rather get some sort of setup that will be usable when I upgrade my GPU rather than lose money for no real upgrade that won't be usable in the future.

Also, I think half the noise is coming from how close my 760 is to my side panel (it seems to be quieter when the side panel is off than when it's on).

I find the level of the F12s to be perfect. My goal is to get my pc to run around 20db idle. I'm not that much of a quiet freak but my PC (in it's current state) is too loud to be ignored.

I'm too paranoid from having bricked a few devices to try installing a custom bios on my 760. Also, I'm not sure how I'd be able to re-flash the original bios on if I only have one PCI slot (meaning I can only have 1 GPU).

Once you dial everything down, you'll start noticing the f12's probably, after I finished my custom loop, the only thing audible was the F12's and my HDD, so I sold them and switched to GT AP-14 instead, much better in terms of noise, the only thing left is that pesky HDD. (Which I plan to scrap when I re-do my build soon)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Once you dial everything down, you'll start noticing the f12's probably, after I finished my custom loop, the only thing audible was the F12's and my HDD, so I sold them and switched to GT AP-14 instead, much better in terms of noise, the only thing left is that pesky HDD. (Which I plan to scrap when I re-do my build soon)

My original plan was to get gentle typhoons but I couldn't seem to find them anywhere in Canada and got my Noctua fans at a (relatively) good price.

xoxo samantha <3

If the fan hitting of the side panel is the issue then a new case might be a good idea. For $100 you can't afford WC the GPU apart from a g10 and possibly the corsair hg210 when it comes out but that's more loud. 

Can you measure the noise that is produced?

If the fan hitting of the side panel is the issue then a new case might be a good idea. For $100 you can't afford WC the GPU apart from a g10 and possibly the corsair hg210 when it comes out but that's more loud. 

Can you measure the noise that is produced?

The fan isn't hitting the side panel but it is quite close (~1.5cm gap).

I downloaded a sound measuring app onto my phone (best I can do with what' I've got) and it came up with 35 decibels (at idle). I do use the Xperia Z1 and everything the mic on it generally sounds a bit quieter than other phones (I assume because of it's waterproofing). My budget is subjective and I'm prepared to spend a bit more knowing that I will be able to use it when I upgrade to the GTX 880/R9 390x. Are AIO pumps really that loud?

xoxo samantha <3

The fan isn't hitting the side panel but it is quite close (~1.5cm gap).

I downloaded a sound measuring app onto my phone (best I can do with what' I've got) and it came up with 35 decibels (at idle). I do use the Xperia Z1 and everything the mic on it generally sounds a bit quieter than other phones (I assume because of it's waterproofing). My budget is subjective and I'm prepared to spend a bit more knowing that I will be able to use it when I upgrade to the GTX 880/R9 390x. Are AIO pumps really that loud?

What's the temp on max load? 35 db isn't too bad, it should be 35 max on load though which is odd. You tried making a custom fan profile?

What's the temp on max load? 35 db isn't too bad, it should be 35 max on load though which is odd. You tried making a custom fan profile?

9kriNVf.png

It gets around 70-75 celcius under load.

xoxo samantha <3

9kriNVf.png

It gets around 70-75 celcius under load.

Make the fan curve less aggressive so it actually reaches that 80 c. Can you lower it below 50%? If not you can use Kepler Bios Tweaker. Obviously their is a risk when modifying the BIOS so if you do be careful and in the event of a mistake apparently EVGA has a good customer care thing. Check with your warranty prior to doing this though. Another option would be to flash another bios onto it but modifying the bios is prob a better way to go.