Starting programming

i-ongei

Hi.

I haven't done any actual programming stuff before but I want to start learning it. Where should I start?

I want to do stuff, maybe make a 2D game or anything like that. Again, where should I start? Help would be appreciated.

IF you want to make games, start with GameMaker, it will teach you the basics of what coding is like, without the code. Then from there you can move on to something like C# that is used by unity where you can make your own game. But I have to warn, it takes a long time to get good enough at a programming language in order to make a game 

Well, you know - its summer and I have almost nothing to do.

Thanks for the answer - more details would be helpful :)

Hi.

I haven't done any actual programming stuff before but I want to start learning it. Where should I start?

I want to do stuff, maybe make a 2D game or anything like that. Again, where should I start? Help would be appreciated.

Learn Python ~ you can make awesome 2D and 2.5D(isometric) with Pygame. Its very easy to learn and there is tons of help and resource available for free.

Hi.

I am in the process of learning Javascript at school and in my spare time using codecademy and I am finding it quite easy to transfer my skills used from Javascript into Unityscript which is near identical to Javascript except specifically designed for Unity.

I recommend you get atleast 30+% into the codecademy course before you start with Unity, it will definitally pay off.

Codecedemy

Website for great Unity tutorials with Javascript

If you need any help feel free to PM me and good luck :)

My Current Rig: CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.8Ghz CPU Cooler: H100i MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X SOC GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 Tahiti pro (Died 6/07/2014 RIP) & PowerColour HD7950  GPU Cooler: NZXT G10 W/ Corsair H55 HDD&SSD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB + Corsair GS 128GB + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2.  

great idea!

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

Ok, as a fellow game designer, i recommend learn C++, why C++? Because if you learn c++ you knwo Java scrips, java, C#, really you can easily transist to almost everylanguage there is, PRO TIPP: If you know how to do C++, learn C# then you can use Unity 3D to make games, preaty easy i must add, if you have the logic in your head, then if you know C# you can start doing ASP.NET and make Web sites, Web Apps, that run better then PHP!!

Trust me C++ and C# are a bit differente but when you get the hold of it you will be happy you know it, its the fundaments of programming!