GTX 770 or R9-280x?

wefty
Go to solution Solved by SymphonyX7,

they seem to be similar,

if you run the 770 you will need less power,

although it will probably be more expensive depending on where you live.

source:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/05/26/watch-dogs-pc-benchmark-results-multiple-amd-and-nvidia-cards-tested/

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-280X-vs-GeForce-GTX-770

Nah. They're pretty equivalent power wise. It's the R9 290 and 290X that consumes noticeably more power than its competitors, the GTX 780 and 780 Ti. I run my R9 280X on a decent 500W PSU, though my CPU is running at stock clocks. It's completely stable, even if run my R9 280X overclocked a bit when running on 3 monitors.

In Battlefield 4, the R9 280X is faster. In Watch Dogs, they're practically equal.

Ultra_02.png

Hi!

Which is better?

Games im gonna play

Watch Dogs

BattleField 4

and 

Battlefield Hardline soon!

and please if you vote for the GTX 770 or R9-280x and what kind of Power supply needed

Thanks advance and God bless!

280x

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

just a heads up, watch dogs isnt gpu limited as far as i know

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

280x with 600w psu

hellooooooooo

280x

any good 550W can handle it.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

they seem to be similar,

source:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/05/26/watch-dogs-pc-benchmark-results-multiple-amd-and-nvidia-cards-tested/

they seem to be similar,

source:

Nah. They're pretty equivalent power wise. It's the R9 290 and 290X that consumes noticeably more power than its competitors, the GTX 780 and 780 Ti. I run my R9 280X on a decent 500W PSU, though my CPU is running at stock clocks. It's completely stable, even if run my R9 280X overclocked a bit when running on 3 monitors.

In Battlefield 4, the R9 280X is faster. In Watch Dogs, they're practically equal.

Ultra_02.png

Rig: Intel Core i7-2600 / Sapphire R9 280X Dual-X / 2 x 8 GB DDR3-1600 / Seagate Hybrid SSHD 2 TB / FSP500-60APN 500W / 3x 20" 1600x900 LED / 51" Samsung F5000 plasma / Acer K330 LED projector
15.6" Clevo W650SJ: Intel Core i7-4810MQ / Geforce GTX 850M / 1 x 8 GB DDR3-1600 / Hitachi 1 TB 7200 rpm
14" Lenovo Y460: Intel Core i5-520M / Mobility Radeon HD 5650 / 2 x 4 GB DDR3-1333 / Hitachi 500 GB 5400 rpm

I lean towards Nvidia myself, but I don't understand people singling out the Radeon card when it comes to more power. According tomshardware, http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-280x-r9-270x-r7-260x,3635-18.html , the 770 and the 280x are within 14 watt differential when it comes to full load benchmarks.  
So, maybe people should start talking realistically about what the numbers really are, and not make them up in their minds.

The 770 is apparently marginally better than the 280x, so I'd go with that personally. Up to you depends on AMD/ nVidia preference I guess because those cards are very similiar in performance or price difference.

280x --> mantle, 3gb vram,       rebranded, no trueaudio, no support for freesync features, possibly lack of support soon (u know how amd is...)

gtx770 --> better software support, easy streaming/capturing, gsync (basicly out now)       low vram, higher price then 280x (specially the 4gb ver), 

Hi!

Which is better?

Games im gonna play

Watch Dogs

BattleField 4

and 

Battlefield Hardline soon!

and please if you vote for the GTX 770 or R9-280x and what kind of Power supply needed

Thanks advance and God bless!

they are both close to each other in terms of performance but i wouldn't sugget getting the 770 for the gsync unless you're looking to buy a overpriced monitor

neither for physx if you're playing a fps since it adds to much useless stuff on the screen :D

so now idd suggest go for the lowest price and the best looking one

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

they are both close to each other in terms of performance but i wouldn't sugget getting the 770 for the gsync unless you're looking to buy a overpriced monitor

neither for physx if you're playing a fps since it adds to much useless stuff on the screen :D

so now idd suggest go for the lowest price and the best looking one

that is funny. You do realise that freesync only works on DP1.2 (?) and only rly expensive monitors come with it?  Not to mention that are other restrictions also. People talk as if freesync is like a thing you can use on a simple monitor...

280x --> mantle, 3gb vram,       rebranded, no trueaudio, no support for freesync features, possibly lack of support soon (u know how amd is...)

gtx770 --> better software support, easy streaming/capturing, gsync (basicly out now)       low vram, higher price then 280x (specially the 4gb ver), 

Since when will it have lack of support? There catalyst drivers still support up to the HD5XXX series.

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

just a heads up, watch dogs isnt gpu limited as far as i know

Its limited by poor coding and a memory leak. Even my system (sig) has issues maxing it out

Go for team red i think r9 is better although they are both great cards i have faced the same dillema

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

Since when will it have lack of support? There catalyst drivers still support up to the HD5XXX series.

just because a driver works for a certain gpu doesn't really mean they support it. Im glad you talked about the 5xxx because i don't have video aceleration since 13.2 on my 5650. Got a friend with a similar card that can't have drivers after 13.4 because his screen goes perma black.

That is what i mean about support. An no, it's not a bad installation or an OS problem, it's rly a mess up from AMD (u can even goodle it); and these are only the cases i personally know. I can only immagine how many fuk ups more amd did and still didn't solve

Before you call me nvidia fan, know that i own a 280x.

R9 280x and depending on the rest of the rig a 550-600 watt psu

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

just because a driver works for a certain gpu doesn't really mean they support it. Im glad you talked about the 5xxx because i don't have video aceleration since 13.2 on my 5650. Got a friend with a similar card that can't have drivers after 13.4 because his screen goes perma black.

That is what i mean about support. An no, it's not a bad installation or an OS problem, it's rly a mess up from AMD (u can even goodle it); and these are only the cases i personally know. I can only immagine how many fuk ups more amd did and still didn't solve

Before you call me nvidia fan, know that i own a 280x.

Nah, I don't call people a fanboy, don't work like that, anyways it must be something with the GPU core or architecture that causes those issues, since it tends to lack certain things. 

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Both are pretty close in performance, there are some cases where the GTX 770 is faster than the 280x and vice versa. So get the cheapest one, you will get awesome performance in 1080 with both. If you are interested in Shadowplay (it's very good) go with Nvidia, you will not regret, the same case with the R9 280x. If I were you I would choose the cheapest one

You got 2 games that make probs 770 better for dogs and 280x better for bf4

Nah, I don't call people a fanboy, don't work like that, anyways it must be something with the GPU core or architecture that causes those issues, since it tends to lack certain things.

The cores don't lack anything, lol. They just broke their drivers past certain point and didn't care to fix them anymore even after tons of fcking reports.

Want video on gpu? install old drivers.  Wanna play games? install new drivers

\AMD/

Whichever is cheaper. 

Ryzen 7600X | MSI Trio X 3080 | 3440x1440p asus vg34vql1b | Antec HCG 850 | 1TB WD Blue SSD | 500GB Aorus Elite | Asus B650 Strix A

that is funny. You do realise that freesync only works on DP1.2 (?) and only rly expensive monitors come with it?  Not to mention that are other restrictions also. People talk as if freesync is like a thing you can use on a simple monitor...

144 Hz http://www.amazon.com/VG248QE-24-Inch-Screen-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_text_y%C2'> , 249$ ; slap 10$ to get a display port cable and you're done

now let's see how much g-sync costs :

NVIDIA G-SYNC: G-SYNC Module + Install Service 1 $299.00  

g-sync might look awesome and all that but it's not worth the price atm

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

144 Hz , 249$ ; slap 10$ to get a display port cable and you're done

now let's see how much g-sync costs :

NVIDIA G-SYNC: G-SYNC Module + Install Service 1 $299.00  

g-sync might look awesome and all that but it's not worth the price atm

thats the module price. Monitors that come with it from factory won't have that price for sure. At least it will work on most gpu's that exist and not only 260 + 290 and newest architecture. And no, it's not any dp. Must me 1.2a or newer