GTX 770 or R9-280x?

wefty
Go to solution Solved by SymphonyX7,

they seem to be similar,

if you run the 770 you will need less power,

although it will probably be more expensive depending on where you live.

source:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/05/26/watch-dogs-pc-benchmark-results-multiple-amd-and-nvidia-cards-tested/

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-280X-vs-GeForce-GTX-770

Nah. They're pretty equivalent power wise. It's the R9 290 and 290X that consumes noticeably more power than its competitors, the GTX 780 and 780 Ti. I run my R9 280X on a decent 500W PSU, though my CPU is running at stock clocks. It's completely stable, even if run my R9 280X overclocked a bit when running on 3 monitors.

In Battlefield 4, the R9 280X is faster. In Watch Dogs, they're practically equal.

Ultra_02.png

Hi!

Which is better?

Games im gonna play

Watch Dogs

BattleField 4

and 

Battlefield Hardline soon!

and please if you vote for the GTX 770 or R9-280x and what kind of Power supply needed

Thanks advance and God bless!

Im in the same situation, but I think GTX 770 for me, because of Shadowplay. 1080p performance is almost exactly the same, and I can get my hands on it at the same price as 280x.

thats the module price. Monitors that come with it from factory won't have that price for sure. At least it will work on most gpu's that exist and not only 260 + 290 and newest architecture. And no, it's not any dp. Must me 1.2a or newer

still i wouldn't pay more than 50$ for it; let's say 50+10$ (10 for the components and 50 for the tech) , when freesync is gonna be released that's how much you will pay, it's a cool tech but not for a rig that goes for 60 fps

the same way 780 price went down when amd released 290

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

I thought you can an R9 290 for around the same price?

EDIT: It's around $30 more expensive (In New Zealand.)

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

still i wouldn't pay more than 50$ for it; let's say 50+10$ (10 for the components and 50 for the tech) , when freesync is gonna be released that's how much you will pay, it's a cool tech but not for a rig that goes for 60 fps

the same way 780 price went down when amd released 290

i completly feel you, trust me, i do (i own amd xD

The point i was trying to make is that most monitors equiped with any of those features is like a premium monitor. You don't simply buy a random monitor waiting to have it, not in the near future anyways. I would pay an extra for that kind of premium. I play alot of ping-depedant games and i cannot turn vsync on or it will mess up timming between visual animation and real casting of the spell/skill on the server, making me go "wtf happened".

I would pay the extra 50$, be it for nvidia or amd.

• 4 weeks later...

Nah. They're pretty equivalent power wise. It's the R9 290 and 290X that consumes noticeably more power than its competitors, the GTX 780 and 780 Ti. I run my R9 280X on a decent 500W PSU, though my CPU is running at stock clocks. It's completely stable, even if run my R9 280X overclocked a bit when running on 3 monitors.

In Battlefield 4, the R9 280X is faster. In Watch Dogs, they're practically equal.

Ultra_02.png