My dog broke my headphones, need a replacement

Hazy125
Go to solution Solved by ShearMe,

Just no audio, the jack was bent. Even after the jack was straightened out, still no audio

Are there electronics shops in the area? A simple jack replacement should be cheap, or even modding on a removable cable so this doesn't happen in the future.

So, a few things to start. I was using a soundcard with them because there is something wrong with my onboard audio. I was using it solely for it's applications as an amp as my motherboard couldn't really drive the M50's. My dog broke both the M50's and the soundcard in one move.

So what do you guys think is a good replacement. I'm kinda cheap lately because I'm saving up for something quite special, so a budget solution would be super awesome. I currently am using a pair of $20 IEM's which just suck. I also live in Australia. What's the current options to go for?

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

How dare you wanting to replace your dog because it broke your headphones. :P

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

How dare you wanting to replace your dog because it broke your headphones. :P

I re-read the title after seeing this. Very mis-leading indeed.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

i recommend a golden retriever

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

i recommend a golden retriever

If you want hair in your mouth, clothes, food...definitely.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I really like our English bulldog, so i would really recommend one, they are sooooo cute :D

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

i recommend a golden retriever as well

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

huskies or Shiba inu

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

I hope you guys don't think he actually wants to replace his dog...

How are the headphones broken? Might be worthwhile to just fix them.

Just no audio, the jack was bent. Even after the jack was straightened out, still no audio

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Are there electronics shops in the area? A simple jack replacement should be cheap, or even modding on a removable cable so this doesn't happen in the future.

Modding the whole cable is probably the better option. It may be damaged at the other end as well. My dog somehow pulled it pretty freaking hard

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Modding the whole cable is probably the better option. It may be damaged at the other end as well. My dog somehow pulled it pretty freaking hard

Would honestly be the best option unless you're wanting/willing to spend a decent amount of money on an upgrade

Here's an idea: first, of course you gotta fix that cable first, either by DIY, or get it fixed by other people. When that's done, curl and tie up your headphone cable, and use those dirt cheap mini stereo extension cables, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Mini-3-5mm-Audio-Extension-Cable/dp/B00117LECY/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1402145930&sr=8-26&keywords=mini+stereo+extension+cable

That way, if your dog strikes again in the future, he/she would chew the extension cable, instead of the original headphone cable. When that happens, just get another extension cable (they're dirt cheap anyway)

Yeah, it's kinda stupid, but in application, this could proof easier to fix.

Would honestly be the best option unless you're wanting/willing to spend a decent amount of money on an upgrade

My headphones are working now, got the left and right mixed up, but oh well. I'll fix that when I get a proper jack rather than just a Frankenstein solution 

I am good at computer

Spoiler

My headphones are working now, got the left and right mixed up, but oh well. I'll fix that when I get a proper jack rather than just a Frankenstein solution 

Oh so you're DIY'ing it? Cool. :)

Oh so you're DIY'ing it? Cool. :)

Yeah, not exactly the most elegant solution yet and it was some of the worst soldering I've done in a while, but these headphones sound plenty better than the ones I was using, even from this audio source

f5989fbd53.jpg

I am good at computer

Spoiler