EVGA Superclocked gtx 780 acx vs. Asus gtx 780 DirectCU II

Alright guys I am about to buy a Nividia Gtx 780 but I am having trouble deciding between the EVGA and the Asus non reference cards.

I am leaning towards the Asus card because of the cooling, the backplate, and the full custom PCB. Also it will match with my Asus maximus hero VI motherboard.

All suggestions are welcome!

Asus. Don't listen to EVGA fanboys. I'll post about why in a moment.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Well if you want to water cool it later go EVGA just because it's a reference PCB and you can get better campatabilty buying water blocks for it. But if you just want it and the air cooler go Asus. Better overclocking on it most times. 

EVGA has great customer support and RMAs. Do you know why? well, first, look at the cooler of the EVGA ACX. Doesn't look too pricey, does it? That's because it's cheap. They put no effort into their cooler design and it runs very loud. People don't complain because EVGA fanboys will maul them, or they're new to the computers scene and don't know what's loud and what isn't. 

But the card is still pricey, right?

Why?

They need to have money to support this great customer service. Because they make so much profit, they can AFFORD to just hand out replacements and the upgrades from 3GB 780s to 6GB 780s. 

In comparison, ASUS has a terrible RMA process and are very picky about replacements. Why? Because ASUS actually put effort into designing their cards, with a custom PCB, a very quiet and well-performing cooler (on Nvidia) and are not making NEARLY as much profit per sale as EVGA. Because of this, ASUS just can't afford to hand out replacements. But their real research into custom PCBs and coolers makes Asus a top contender for the best cooler.

If you are watercooling, there's no doubt that the Classified and Kingpin are your best choices. But otherwise EVGA's products are really not worth it.

You want to know another thing? You know why they delayed the 6GB 780Ti? Because EVGA was getting scared that they would run out of money giving out free upgrades, so they waited for their products to sell for huge markups so that they could afford to sell these. Not to mention, that the 6GB GTX780 is completely ridiculous and without a triple SLI config on 4K, completely useless as well. EVGA sells these things so that they can make even MORE of a markup on these products and try to sell them to people saying "hey, you'll need these (not)".

/Endrant, I dislike EVGA and I don't think I will ever buy from them.

They put no effort into their cooler design and it runs very loud

this is the very first time i have ever heard of this, i have heard the opposite do you have any proof? just out of curiosity

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

this is the very first time i have ever heard of this, i have heard the opposite do you have any proof? just out of curiosity

Okay, come on. Two generic fans very far spaced. They could easily fit three fans on there. It runs hotter, louder than most of its kind and people only choose EVGA because of their supreme warranty that only exists because they overprice their stuff to shit.

I've heard an EVGA card and ASUS card side-by-side and EVGA was audibly louder. It also ran hotter according to afterburner.

Asus is cooler and quieter but EVGA is better if you want to watercool in the future and have better customer service.

Okay, come on. Two generic fans very far spaced. They could easily fit three fans on there. It runs hotter, louder than most of its kind and people only choose EVGA because of their supreme warranty that only exists because they overprice their stuff to shit.

I've heard an EVGA card and ASUS card side-by-side and EVGA was audibly louder. It also ran hotter according to afterburner.

ok but i do have to address one thing, and that is sometimes their cards are their cheaper ones like their 770 is like 329.99 with a 20 rebate on newegg lat i checked

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

EVGA has great customer support and RMAs. Do you know why? well, first, look at the cooler of the EVGA ACX. Doesn't look too pricey, does it? That's because it's cheap. They put no effort into their cooler design and it runs very loud. People don't complain because EVGA fanboys will maul them, or they're new to the computers scene and don't know what's loud and what isn't. 

But the card is still pricey, right?

Why?

They need to have money to support this great customer service. Because they make so much profit, they can AFFORD to just hand out replacements and the upgrades from 3GB 780s to 6GB 780s. 

In comparison, ASUS has a terrible RMA process and are very picky about replacements. Why? Because ASUS actually put effort into designing their cards, with a custom PCB, a very quiet and well-performing cooler (on Nvidia) and are not making NEARLY as much profit per sale as EVGA. Because of this, ASUS just can't afford to hand out replacements. But their real research into custom PCBs and coolers makes Asus a top contender for the best cooler.

If you are watercooling, there's no doubt that the Classified and Kingpin are your best choices. But otherwise EVGA's products are really not worth it.

You want to know another thing? You know why they delayed the 6GB 780Ti? Because EVGA was getting scared that they would run out of money giving out free upgrades, so they waited for their products to sell for huge markups so that they could afford to sell these. Not to mention, that the 6GB GTX780 is completely ridiculous and without a triple SLI config on 4K, completely useless as well. EVGA sells these things so that they can make even MORE of a markup on these products and try to sell them to people saying "hey, you'll need these (not)".

/Endrant, I dislike EVGA and I don't think I will ever buy from them.

You put a lot of effort into hating EVGA just because they're a great company ;)

EVGA sells these things so that they can make even MORE of a markup on these products and try to sell them to people saying "hey, you'll need these (not)".

You're completely correct! Making money is a HORRIBLE thing and nobody should ever do it. EVGA should just give away 780ti's because making money is HORRIBLE. 

You put a lot of effort into hating EVGA just because they're a great company ;)

Because they sell most of their GPUs for huge markups? Because their cooler is hot and loud and clearly had not had any effort put into it? Please.

Also, EVGA is trying to trick newbies into buying their expensive products. Like the 6GB 780, serves almost no purpose for most people and is all a marketing scheme because newbies think "hey, 6GB! Double the performance!".

Because they sell most of their GPUs for huge markups? Because their cooler is hot and loud and clearly had not had any effort put into it? Please.

EVGA 780 is one of the cheapest so your markup argument is invalid.

The cooler isn't loud like... at all. How has no effort been put into it? Implying that other companies spend billion and billion on designing their coolers. 

My ASUS video cards have never had any problems. :)

My ASUS GTX770 DCUII runs cool, quiet, and is overclocked as far as GPU Boost 2.0 will let me push the slider xD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

EVGA 780 is one of the cheapest so your markup argument is invalid.

The cooler isn't loud like... at all. How has no effort been put into it? Implying that other companies spend billion and billion on designing their coolers. 

I'm not talking about their lowest end cards. Those better be the cheapest.

I mean this. 

DualClassified: $600

FTW: $610

6GB: $570

EDIT: for GTX780 cards

And I haven't even mentioned yet the $900 GTX 780 Ti Kingpin. Jesus, they might as well not put a cooler on if it's really only for enthusiasts, because they're going to trick some newbie computer builder and they're going to have a graphics card screaming at them every time they play.

I kinda agree it looks like EVGA added 2 fans replacing the blower fan. it looks like they are trying to spread heat to two different areas. I do not think it is a very effective cooling method.

Here is a link to the video I found 

EDIT: The reason why it is not a better cooling system is because the lack of surface area with two separate heatsinks,

You're completely correct! Making money is a HORRIBLE thing and nobody should ever do it. EVGA should just give away 780ti's because making money is HORRIBLE. 

What I am saying is that EVGA makes much, MUCH more money than they actually spend on the parts from Nvidia and Hynix. And again, Nvidia makes MUCH more money than they actually spent on the manufacturing at TSMC, Hynix/Elpida/Samsung, Foxconn, Etc., and actually paying the employees, making EVGA's products a huge price hike from what effort is actually being put into the card.

What I am saying is that EVGA makes much, MUCH more money than they actually spend on the parts from Nvidia and Hynix. And again, Nvidia makes MUCH more money than they actually spent on the manufacturing at TSMC, Hynix/Elpida/Samsung, Foxconn, Etc., and actually paying the employees, making EVGA's products a huge price hike from what effort is actually being put into the card.

EVGA's cooler is very good, one of the best Nvidia coolers and almost the quietest. They use Hynix memory and have good thermal paste/pads. There is no reason not to buy from them, especially when Asus is the other option. Asus has a worse warranty, worse RMA, and worse cooler (within margin or error).

Get the EVGA card.

EVGA's cooler is very good, one of the best Nvidia coolers and almost the quietest. They use Hynix memory and have good thermal paste/pads. There is no reason not to buy from them, especially when Asus is the other option. Asus has a worse warranty, worse RMA, and worse cooler (within margin or error).

Get the EVGA card.

I don't agree on the cooling aspect EVGA has less surface area to dissipate the heat than the Asus graphics card. 

At the price range of both the cards I think Asus has more to offer. This is my opinion from the little research I have done, 

Please tell me more why you think the EVGA is better.

I don't agree on the cooling aspect EVGA has less surface area to dissipate the heat than the Asus graphics card. 

At the price range of both the cards I think Asus has more to offer. This is my opinion from the little research I have done, 

Please tell me more why you think the EVGA is better.

I have had EVGA cards for the last 2 years, they are amazing to deal with.

Look at temperature results, the ACX  is better. I would link some, but I forgot what video I saw it in.

Well I say don't listen to this guy, lol, go ahead and respond back but I have had a MSI 660Ti, a EVGA 780 AC ACX and a MSI 780 Lightning. The EVGA was the quietest card out of the bunch and I was able to get the core to 1228 with the ACX cooler. The aesthetics of the card are great and they go with just about any build and they are "Fairly" sturdy. Unless your throwing it at a wall its fine. Also dont put design into their coolers, its almost the same as ASUS's and its basically the same as the Classified version.

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

Well I say don't listen to this guy, lol, go ahead and respond back but I have had a MSI 660Ti, a EVGA 780 AC ACX and a MSI 780 Lightning. The EVGA was the quietest card out of the bunch and I was able to get the core to 1228 with the ACX cooler. The aesthetics of the card are great and they go with just about any build and they are "Fairly" sturdy. Unless your throwing it at a wall its fine. Also dont put design into their coolers, its almost the same as ASUS's and its basically the same as the Classified version.

I am making my own opinions. I know the best way to dissipate heat is through surface area and the Asus has more. Also asus made a custom pcb and backplate at that price range unlike other competitors.

i also like how explanatory they are about their cooling. I know the videos are made by Asus but they are pretty transparent.

I did not intend to make this post to put Asus fans against EVGA fans. I made it to have an informal discussion about these two cards.

Please tell me why you are choosing one card over the other. 

I am making my own opinions. I know the best way to dissipate heat is through surface area and the Asus has more. Also asus made a custom pcb and backplate at that price range unlike other competitors.

i also like how explanatory they are about their cooling. I know the videos are made by Asus but they are pretty transparent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_xHNg3bTZk&list=PLfxaMTbBYP5nFGZwSOmSuLdlAjVOEay83

I did not intend to make this post to put Asus fans against EVGA fans. I made it to have an informal discussion about these two cards.

Please tell me why you are choosing one card over the other. 

I have not had a ASUS card so i cant direct compare but the EVGA one was the quietest I've had so far

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |