EVGA Superclocked gtx 780 acx vs. Asus gtx 780 DirectCU II

I'm completely happy with my Asus 780. I love the custom PCB and backplate for the card. Plus I have it oveclocked to almost 1300 MHz and I've never seen it go over 65 C during benchmarking or gaming. Although either is a good choice

EVGA has great customer support and RMAs. Do you know why? well, first, look at the cooler of the EVGA ACX. Doesn't look too pricey, does it? That's because it's cheap. They put no effort into their cooler design and it runs very loud. People don't complain because EVGA fanboys will maul them, or they're new to the computers scene and don't know what's loud and what isn't. 

But the card is still pricey, right?

Why?

They need to have money to support this great customer service. Because they make so much profit, they can AFFORD to just hand out replacements and the upgrades from 3GB 780s to 6GB 780s. 

In comparison, ASUS has a terrible RMA process and are very picky about replacements. Why? Because ASUS actually put effort into designing their cards, with a custom PCB, a very quiet and well-performing cooler (on Nvidia) and are not making NEARLY as much profit per sale as EVGA. Because of this, ASUS just can't afford to hand out replacements. But their real research into custom PCBs and coolers makes Asus a top contender for the best cooler.

If you are watercooling, there's no doubt that the Classified and Kingpin are your best choices. But otherwise EVGA's products are really not worth it.

You want to know another thing? You know why they delayed the 6GB 780Ti? Because EVGA was getting scared that they would run out of money giving out free upgrades, so they waited for their products to sell for huge markups so that they could afford to sell these. Not to mention, that the 6GB GTX780 is completely ridiculous and without a triple SLI config on 4K, completely useless as well. EVGA sells these things so that they can make even MORE of a markup on these products and try to sell them to people saying "hey, you'll need these (not)".

/Endrant, I dislike EVGA and I don't think I will ever buy from them.

sounds like you're bad mouthing EVGA lol

i say go with which is cheaper

Because they sell most of their GPUs for huge markups? Because their cooler is hot and loud and clearly had not had any effort put into it? Please.

Seriously, either you don't own an EVGA card w/ ACX yourself or you got a super shitty one in which case EVGA's awesome CRM would have helped you out. They're quiet, run super cool and IMO look better than the ASUS ones. You came out accusing people of being EVGA fanboys when it's clear that you're an ASUS fanboy. That said, I'm gonna finish this post without resulting to childish tactics like calling people mentally ill. On the topic of ASUS putting a bunch of effort in their coolers, is that why the R9 290X from ASUS has shitty thermals because ASUS couldn't be bothered to adapt the GTX 780 cooler before throwing it on the R9 290X? I have nothing against ASUS or EVGA. I look at performance and conclusions I come to based on my own fact based research. ASUS and EVGA are both top performers in the GPU market and which card you choose comes down to aesthetics, budget and performance based on facts, not opinions.

Also, EVGA is trying to trick newbies into buying their expensive products. Like the 6GB 780, serves almost no purpose for most people and is all a marketing scheme because newbies think "hey, 6GB! Double the performance!".

All these companies competing for our money in the PC gaming industry consider it business and that's what it is, just business. It's all marketing and it's all competition and they love customers like you that push their products for them for free. I agree with you that beginners end up wasting money buying expensive GPU's with features they don't need. IMO their own fault if they don't do the proper research first. That's why they come to forums like LTT where they can get all the help they need. Offering multiple variations of a product is a time tested business model and it happens in every industry. Does Charmin only have on type of toilet paper? Does Tide only sell on laundry detergent? NO.

Alright guys I am about to buy a Nividia Gtx 780 but I am having trouble deciding between the EVGA and the Asus non reference cards.

I am leaning towards the Asus card because of the cooling, the backplate, and the full custom PCB. Also it will match with my Asus maximus hero VI motherboard.

All suggestions are welcome!

EVGA and ASUS 780's both run cool and quiet. Choose the one which looks better in your opinion.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

I chose my Asus GTX780 over the EVGA card because of the following reasons:

- the Asus is better looking. The EVGA card only looks good from a side you will never see in your case.

- Asus gave me a backplate. You spend so much money on a GPU and EVGA doesn't even give you a backplate.

- EVGA was a €40 more expensive choice

- the EVGA does not perform better than the Asus card in any way.

So as you can see, there is absolutely no reason to go with EVGA, unless it is a cheaper choice for you. Hell, I'd even recommend an MSI card before I's recommend an EVGA card.

Case: Lian Li O11-dynamic mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX6800 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550 E-Gaming | Memory: 32Gb 3600Mhz G. SKILL Trident Z | PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum | Cooling: Lian Li Galahad AIO 240 | Case fans: Lian Li Unifans

EVGA's cooler is very good, one of the best Nvidia coolers and almost the quietest. They use Hynix memory and have good thermal paste/pads. There is no reason not to buy from them, especially when Asus is the other option. Asus has a worse warranty, worse RMA, and worse cooler (within margin or error).

Get the EVGA card.

>worse cooler

>lol

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

I would say the performance diffrence is not to noticeable in real life so i would go evga because of their warranty

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

I'm not talking about their lowest end cards. Those better be the cheapest.

I mean this.

DualClassified: $600

FTW: $610

6GB: $570

EDIT: for GTX780 cards

I just bought my FTW 780 for 519.00 and a 20 rebate.

CPU - 4790k / GPU - EVGA GTX 980 / Case - NCASE M1 v3 / Board - ASUS Impact VII  / PSU SFX 600w Silverstone / Storage - 2x500GB EVOs / Windows 8.1,OS X 10.10 / Full Water Loop

I'm not talking about their lowest end cards. Those better be the cheapest.

I mean this. 

DualClassified: $600

FTW: $610

6GB: $570

EDIT: for GTX780 cards

wat  

Classified: 559$

Ftw: 479$

6gb: 570$

Asus is cooler and quieter but EVGA is better if you want to watercool in the future and have better customer service.

Okay, come on. Two generic fans very far spaced. They could easily fit three fans on there. It runs hotter, louder than most of its kind and people only choose EVGA because of their supreme warranty that only exists because they overprice their stuff to shit.

I've heard an EVGA card and ASUS card side-by-side and EVGA was audibly louder. It also ran hotter according to afterburner.

4a4366cb00.jpg

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Until Sonefiler actually backs his claims, I have decided not to pay any attention to him. I like how he professes the "massive OC" on the Powercolor PCS when he has till now only showed unstable overclocks.

IKR, didn't realize he worked @ EVGA and knew everything about the entire company 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Until Sonefiler actually backs his claims, I have decided not to pay any attention to him. I like how he professes the "massive OC" on the Powercolor PCS when he has till now only showed unstable overclocks.

the PCS+ comes at a 10% OC so technically I'm already OCed 10%. going for 15%, 20% was a bit ambitious of me :P

By that logic, my KPEs boosted to 1295 MHz core on the stock ACX cooler which is a 40% overclock compared to a reference 780 Ti and a 27% overclock compared to the Asus DCUII 780 Ti. Does that mean the ACX cooler is now better? 

My point is that is makes no sense to criticize a cooler saying it performs worse and is louder unless the tests are done with a standard protocol- same clocks, same GPU volts and same fan RPM. Now see which cooler keeps the core/VRAM/VRMs cooler and which cooler is quieter.

No one is denying that PCS cooler is not a good one- heck, it is only beaten by the Vapor-X and Lightning coolers and that is very impressive for a smaller brand like TUL. But underneath that cooler is a reference PCB with no binning done other than on the RAM. But guess what? Both Elpida and Hynix perform just as well on the 512 bit bus (other than mining) and OC to the same average extents.The Vapor-X and Lightning offer better components and arguably core binning as well.

Speaking from personal experience with 770 ACX and 780 Classified ACX coolers. 

The fans make very weird and annoying rattling noise at random. It's probably the fans bearings, but it almost sounds like the fans are brushing the heatsink. Either way, they are using very cheap fans.

But that's the only complaint I can make about EVGA. Hopefully this problem goes away in the second generation of ACX. 

After reading this thread, I have no idea which is a better buy

1.asus has supposed crappie rma/support. Evga doesn't.

2.asus has more general respect that I've seen in forums.

3.evga's SC beats Asus in Linus' and Slick's benchmarking.

4.asus' has backplate and huge heat pipes.

Linus! Could you clear this up for us?

2014 - EVGA 780 SC ACX | 4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB | RM650 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | VGA248QE | Fractal Define r4

2015 - EVGA 980 | 4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB | RM650 | NZXT X41 | Asus ProArt 1080p IPS | Fractal Define r4

2017 - MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti | 6600K | Strix z270e | Trident DDR4 3GHz 16GB | RM650 | NZXT X42 | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair Crystal 460x

2021 - MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti | 5600X | Strix B550-F | Trident Neo DDR4 3.6GHz 32GB | Dark Power Pro 12 1500W | EK AIO Basic 360 | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair 5000D Airflow

2023 - Asus TUF 4090 | 5800X3D | Strix B550-F | Viper DDR4 3.6GHz 32GB | RM1000x | h150i 360 Elite LCD | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair 5000D Airflow

@LinusTech

Honestly, get whichever is cheaper or looks better in your build

Go MSI, Gigabyte, Zotac, or PNY then...

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

I think the Asus is a better buy. The temps share a one degree difference which I think is within a margin of error.

And with overclocks it is luck of the draw which is why I don't fully agree with Linus' test system. I think stock vs stock is a better comparison.

As much as I hear this argument, I've never had any complaints about my or any of my friend's Gigabyte cards. Two 670 OCs, two 770 OCs, and a 780GHz. All run fantastically. All are silent at idle (well, as quiet as my Noctuas are running so I really don't care). All overclock very well.

Some might OC bad, but I've never heard a complaint about bad design... I love those things. I'd much rather buy nothing but Windforce cards. :)

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

As much as I hear this argument, I've never had any complaints about my or any of my friend's Gigabyte cards. Two 670 OCs, two 770 OCs, and a 780GHz. All run fantastically. All are silent at idle (well, as quiet as my Noctuas are running so I really don't care). All overclock very well.

Some might OC bad, but I've never heard a complaint about bad design... I love those things. I'd much rather buy nothing but Windforce cards. :)

I sure have. Those things are often RMAd for rattling sounds that are really loud, as well as loud coil whine

Go with ASUS. It's quieter and it has a backplate. Temperature difference is in a margin of error between those two - not worth the extra noise you'll get from EVGA card.

@MonkeyFace is mentioning rattling noise from EVGA ACX card. I've heard of this issue as well. There are reports of this on EVGA forums as well.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

I've got an EVGA ACX cooler card, I've had no problems with it. It runs cool, is quite, very quite actually! I'd say go with whatever you think looks better, personally I prefer the EVGA, but it's all down to personal opinion. 

Ive got the evga 780ti sc acx. my corsair h100i pump is louder when playing bf4 and it only reaches 62c. Dont listen to that numpty up there and im not a fanboy before you start, asus is just shite with rma.

• 2 months later...

OK I DID THIS RESEARCH FOR LIKE 10 DAYS IN A ROW AND I CAN SAY THAT ASUS IS BETTER.Make less noise and less heat. That's it.