fix coilwhine on gpu?

MalaCraft

Hey Guys!

So I have an asus gtx 780 and while I am playing demanding games like Battlefield4 I can hear the coilwhine.

As soon as I join the map, I can year that high gargle sound.

The sound changes depending on the fps I get.

It is definitely coming from my gpu and it is not the fans.

I tried another card, no coilwhine.

I switched the psu, still the same problem.

My 780 in a complete different system, still the same coilwhine.

I have even sent it back, but they said they were not able to find a defect.

Is there a save way to fix the coilwhine or should I call the vendor again?

"Well, not even last night's storm could wake you. I heard them say we've reached Morrowind, I'm sure they'll let us go."

Some cheap PSUs can cause "coil wine" (capacitors) when they're cheaply built but considering you have a RM850 that's not the problem so it's either the capacitors on the GPU or the motherboard which the only way to fix it is to get a new card/board.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Coil whine can sometimes be fixed with a drop of hot glue, but only on open chokes. Since your card has sealed chokes, there's really not much you can do. Does it whine during the actual game? Its normal for high-end cards to whine in situations like game menus, where they are rendering several hundred fps. If you get whining during the game, you've got a bad case. Sadly, manufacturers don't consider this an RMA-justifying defect, since it doesn't prevent the card from functioning, nor does it effect its life span. Some users have managed to get their cards through RMA by calling the manufacturers out on promises of "silent operation", which aren't lived up to by a card with coil whine.

Coil whine can sometimes be fixed with a drop of hot glue, but only on open chokes. Since your card has sealed chokes, there's really not much you can do. Does it whine during the actual game? Its normal for high-end cards to whine in situations like game menus, where they are rendering several hundred fps. If you get whining during the game, you've got a bad case. Sadly, manufacturers don't consider this an RMA-justifying defect, since it doesn't prevent the card from functioning, nor does it effect its life span. Some users have managed to get their cards through RMA by calling the manufacturers out on promises of "silent operation", which aren't lived up to by a card with coil whine.

It does whine while playing.

I have already sent it back to the vendor. And they sent it to asus. And when I had the card again it said no error found

"Well, not even last night's storm could wake you. I heard them say we've reached Morrowind, I'm sure they'll let us go."

Ah another one.

Well here's my story, and in the end I gave up.

First Asus GTX780ti buzz/whine:

Second Asus GTX780ti Buzz/whine:

Gave up on Asus

Got a Galaxy GTX780ti Hall of Fame:

Whine/Buzz:

Now my new Galaxy GTX780ti HOF is exactly the same as the others.

Only does it on high load.

Been through 2 Motherboards (Asrock z77 now Asus Maximus V Extreme) and 2 PSU's (Silencer Mark III 1200w and eVGA Supernova G2 1000w) new card still make the same noise.

So I gave up and sound proofed my case.

Seems we are not alone, and its turning into a very common thing with high end cards.

Ah another one.

Well here's my story, and in the end I gave up.

First Asus GTX780ti buzz/whine:

Second Asus GTX780ti Buzz/whine:

http://youtu.be/aa4kFFpt5Qs

Gave up on Asus

Got a Galaxy GTX780ti Hall of Fame:

Whine/Buzz:

Now my new Galaxy GTX780ti HOF is exactly the same as the others.

Only does it on high load.

Been through 2 Motherboards (Asrock z77 now Asus Maximus V Extreme) and 2 PSU's (Silencer Mark III 1200w and eVGA Supernova G2 1000w) new card still make the same noise.

So I gave up and sound proofed my case.

Seems we are not alone, and its turning into a very common thing with high end cards.

This sounds very similar to my card.

I will flame my vendor and if that does not help i have to wait till 800 series and buy a new one.

This sounds very similar to my card.

I will flame my vendor and if that does not help i have to wait till 800 series and buy a new one.

I tried that, and got a replacement which did it also.

The RMA tech said it was "normal" but gave me another one anyway.

I've come across a few people on this and other forums are kinda "in the dark" about the problem and blame everything else. (No offense meant)

Linus hit the nail on the head with his video, but some people fail to acknowledge the problem and blame PSU's, motherboards etc.

Well I proved at least to myself its none of that and higher end GPU's have a design flaw.

I even took my PC to 3 different houses to make sure there was no power interference.

As a group of enthusiasts who buy high end products we shouldn't accept the "its normal" crap from manufactures.

If I bought a $1000 TV and it buzzed or whined I'd take it back, and the store would without question swap it out. (Been there once)

But a $1000 video card, "sorry its normal"... Yeah right....

I get coil whine on my 780ti however only when folding never get it while gaming even in bf4 5760x1080 ultra it's weird

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

there is something you can try still. get into your overclocking utility, lower or raise the core voltage. try to get the whine frequency so high or low you cant physically hear it

I had this same problem on my 780 FTW edition. I was told to turn vsync on to cap the fps at 60. Solved my problem instantly. Now on some programs that dont have this feature i still get the whining and it is very annoying. But as of now i dont use my pc more than just gaming so im fine with it. Now i called EVGA and the guy i talked to said that i could RMA it for the coil whine. I havent felt the need to since vsync solved it but since it has a 3 year warranty i might do it later down the road if need be. 

The problem with RMAing for coil whine is that as you get older you become less sensitive to it. Whoever assess your RMA might not even be able to hear the whine.

But if a company wants to sell high end, enthusiast hardware they should be prepared to RMA for issue enthusiasts will care about. There's a higher standard. The components might work fine, but you shouldn't have to change settings so a GPU doesn't whine or put up with a PSU that whines when the computer is off.

From experience I know at least Corsair take it seriously. They paid for return overseas shipping on 3 PSU's in a row, each whined all the time. Finally got one that didn't whine when a new batch fixed the issue. 

Vsync does sometimes solve it, but when you have a 144Hz monitor it doesn't do anything.

Not to mention the buzzing noise in my video's isn't effected by vsync at all.

The menu's in Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning will get any new card screaming, Adaptive vysnc fixes the high pitch whine, but not the choke buzz in game. (which is the noise in my video's).

As you heard there is 4 cards I've personally owned that all made the exact same noise, plus a few who have commented on the video's who suffer the same.

Asus being the bigger more reparable brand over Galaxy shouldn't be making any noise, but you've hear 2 card, Not to mention the VRM temps on both ASUS card peeked at 110c.

Where with the Galaxy the choke buzz isn't as loud, but its still there in 2 of their cards too.

My first GTX780ti card was a Gigabyte, which had bad VRAM (had to underclock to be stable), I never heard any buzzing/whine from that, but honestly I wasn't listening.

After going through the last 2 cards at the store which had manufacturing faults with the Windforce cooler (metal shroud jammed up against the fans) I went with ASUS, and thats when I first heard the buzzing.

To be honest the more I use the replacement Galaxy GTX780ti HOF the less the buzzing is, Its a really good card, the cooler is Quiet (that what you can hear the buzz) and at a 1150Mhz overclock its cool, never goes over 65c.

Which indicates there isn't actually anything wrong with the card itself.

For me the $850 I spent on the card/cards I a lot for me, my wife tried to do something nice after I have spent 12 months looking after her through her cancer treatment and surgery, didn't think it would cause this much headaches.

Always though you get what you pay for, not pay more be less satisfied then your old card.

Like Linus and a lot of other here I like things quiet, have 2 young ones under 2 it has to be quiet at night, so you hear the noise more than ever $15 worth of sound damping foam and now I can't hear it.

But that's not the point, choke buzz or coil whine should not be accepted on a $800+ product, and should not be considered normal.

I'm 36, I've worked in IT since I was 15 (had to give it up to look after my wife), I'm Apple Certified, MCSE, CISCO, along with many other electronic and service certificates, and its the first time I've come across choke buzz this bad on any Video card, and a string of them, it is not normal to be list loud (sorry RMA departments), yes high voltage electronics can produce noise.

Maybe my ears are more in tune and can pick it up more, but with all the "we used this choke to lessen noise" advertising, only to have card screaming and buzzing is just plain wrong.

If you're lucky enough to actually get a RMA on a whiny/buzzing card, they test it with Furmark, which for most of us DOES NOT produce coil whine or buzzing.

It DOES NOT stress all the GPU components all at once like playing a game with maxed out settings, so cards are getting a all clear.

Heck Unigine doesn't even produce the buzz or whine on my card, I get coil whine on the still image exit screen.

Sorry if it turned into a rant, but the more people I see with the same problem its clearly an issue that needs addressing, the manufactures can't keep ignoring it.

Its not NVIDIA or AMD's fault, they technically make the GPU's and set out a reference design, its the major manufactures of the video cards.

So when you got through 4 cards all with the same problem, what do you do next, keep swapping them out, eventually the store will say no and blame your PC.