Verizon accuses Netflix of misleading consumers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27726248

US telecommunications giant Verizon has issued Netflix with a "cease and desist" letter.

The letter came after the streaming video service reportedly told consumers Verizon was behind slow connections.

"There is no basis for Netflix to assert that issues with respect to playback... are attributable solely to the Verizon network," Verizon wrote.

Netflix responded that the firm was trying to "provide more transparency" to consumers.

"This is about consumers not getting what they paid for from their broadband provider," said Netflix.

In March, Netflix chief executive Reed Hastings hit out against internet streaming providers (ISPs) like Verizon for demanding a fee to maintain video quality.

Nonetheless, in April, Neflix agreed to pay Verizon to establish a direct connection to its network to ensure content was delivered to users' homes.

Those corporate ****ers need to get their heads out of their asses and their hands out of everyone's pockets.

Those corporate ****ers need to get their heads out of their asses and their hands out of everyone's pockets.

Thank you for voicing what I feel every time I read anything like this. 

225363c08b8c0bbfee805daad8237d7962de8edf

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

US telecomms corporations, who'd 'ave 'em?

I think that Verizon wants a piece of what Comcast got from Netflix, which isn't really surprising seeing as a precedent is being set in the US with the enormous telecomms corporations dictating ridiculous terms to companies passing traffic through their network,ultimately their cutomers who receive that traffic suffer.

So glad I don't live in the US. I'm in the UK, and I find that you can only have certain telecom companies operating in an area crazy! You can have any of the providers anywhere in the UK (It might not be fibre or cable but still). Crazy IMO

Its all about the money with those scumbags.... bad business practices and knowing they can get away with it due to no competition...

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Thank you for voicing what I feel every time I read anything like this. 

I mean, I call things how I see them. I have to use Verizon's wireless phone service because Sprint/T-Mobile and AT&T have the most sucky coverage where I'm at. Though they have the obvious superior service, the corporate schmucks need to stop double dipping, that's the government's job.

It shouldn't be anyone's job really.. I swear man shit like this makes my blood boil.

You know how you get the general public to care about Net Neutrality? Tell them that their ISPs are the reason Netflix has slowdowns and dodgy streaming.

You'll have the fucking French Revolution on American soil by tomorrow afternoon. 

Verizon has some nerve to issue a CD when they damn well know that Netflix is right, and its not even a secret. The tech world KNOWS that these assholes throttle streaming connections despite us paying through the nose for high speed broadband, then double dipping to get more from everyone and still giving shit throughput. 

You know how you get the general public to care about Net Neutrality? Tell them that their ISPs are the reason Netflix has slowdowns and dodgy streaming.

You'll have the fucking French Revolution on American soil by tomorrow afternoon. 

Verizon has some nerve to issue a CD when they damn well know that Netflix is right, and its not even a secret. The tech world KNOWS that these assholes throttle streaming connections despite us paying through the nose for high speed broadband, then double dipping to get more from everyone and still giving shit throughput.

If only it were that easy....

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I've actually tried that, but the ISP's in my area haven't throttled Netflix to the point of shitty-ness. Yet.

I keep telling these people it'll happen eventually. No one ever gives a shit until it happens, which most of the time it's too late.

Could Netflix contest it and have tests conducted to gain "proof" legally?

Ha, America.

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

I'm really glad Verizon isn't really a thing here in England. We don't have the massive money grabbing super evil companies like the US, we just have shit ones like TalkTalk. 

I'm really glad Verizon isn't really a thing here in England. We don't have the massive money grabbing super evil companies like the US, we just have shit ones like TalkTalk.

Isn't Vodafone a thing? They are related to Verizon.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Isn't Vodafone a thing? They are related to Verizon.

Vodafone is, but it's not like Verizon as it is in the US. 

Yeah we do have a lot less bullshit, I mean we do have some terrible companies, but that is a different matter

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

'We are not behind the slow connections....coincidentally, we successfully sued the FCC to get away with this kind of crap and right now heavily support the FCC making it official for us to offer fast lanes to sites like Netflix, but if you actually tell people the fucking truth? No, we'll see you in court"

-------

Current Rig

-------

Middle east has suicide bombers, 'murica has "internet terrorists". Suck to be there for nerds like me who need good,free inet,haha good im not.

So Verizon says there network is saturated and asks Netflix for money. Netflix then tells people that Verizon's network is saturated. Now Verizon want Netflix to stop telling there customers what they told Netflix. Lol Verizon you bunch of idiots. Netflix should also have a pop up during that screen that says "Performance Bad, Heres a list of recommended ISPs"

Self-righteous bastards. You know what you do with a horse that doesn't want to ride anymore?

Just to clarify I am talking about Verizon here.

I'll back Verizon up, I have Netflix and it has never been slow to me unless I jam out my connection, which then is my fault for using all of my bandwidth at the same time.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

All NetFlix needs is its already known internet traffic data from its customers. Verizon is screwed unless they are going to hide behind someone else's routers and packet traffic BS handling.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I love being Scandinavian!

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

Never seen that "verizon ... crowded..." msg before. So I guess my problem is with Netflix lol.

All I know is I hate having movie start out all blurry for the first few minutes even during non prime time.

Providing a third of internet traffic during peek.. I'm sure they are bottlenecked at times...

I just wish they provided a pre buffer option for times when you want better quality.

My Rigs (past and present)

Can't wait for that Korean internet ^_^

Verizon screw you , this circle of lawsuits always amazes me how does this not get thrown out in court. Verizon must know they are in the wrong.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090