Decided to care about audio much more this time 'round, but don't really know much. Are my choices good?

FatEskimo97

I decided to remove some things to make space for an audio budget, and I need to know if my choices are the best for their price range. Here are my selections, please give some suggestions on everything and tell me if I need anything else:

I'm getting the Asus z97-WS, which I have been told has pretty good onboard audio, so do I need to get a sound card? Before posting this I re-read the FAQ and found out that you either get a DAC or a sound card. Yay me.

The headphones I am currently using are the Allen & Heath Xone XD2-53 which are pretty good in my opinion, but the HE-400's seem like a major upgrade because of the planar magnetics and better comfort (it seems strange though... they have almost exactly the same specs other than the magnet (XD2-53/HE-400) I'm still happy my uncle randomly found these Xones when trying to find a birthday present for me)

For a mic I have a Blue Snowball, which I love, so that's fine. I have a windscreen with it but are there any other accessories that I should buy?

Any input is helpful. Thanks!

CPU: i7-5820k | Mobo: Asus X99-Deluxe | RAM: 16gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 | Storage: Samsung XP941 Series 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive; Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | GPUs: 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 | Audio: Audeze LCD​-2; Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC

Why are you trying to buy a 22$ RCA cable?

I would pick the USB DAC option, was there any reasoning behind optical as the choice?

here, buy this instead

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-1-5ft-Premium-22AWG-Cable/dp/B003L1717K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402015206&sr=8-2&keywords=monoprice+RCA+cable

it's like we're wearing the same shirt or something

Error: 410

BECAUSE OXYGEN FREE UNICORNS BLOOD MANUFACTURE PROCESS.

I've seen all kinds of ridiculous cables, the mega expensive digital ones don't make me laugh anywhere near as much as the guys who can 'see/hear' a difference.

Example. Somewhere, a guy is trying to sell that to people, IT'S SOLD OUT!? Please, peruse the reviews and see the wonderment.

I would pick the USB DAC option, was there any reasoning behind optical as the choice?

Because they are the 6-inch ones provided by Schiit. Cute.

OP, consider this cable: http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-1-5ft-Premium-22AWG-Cable/dp/B003L1717K

I was talking to a guy on some other forum who was getting almost the same setup as me. I asked which one to get, and he said optical. I didn't question him, but I came here. Is there any difference in sound?

BECAUSE OXYGEN FREE UNICORNS BLOOD MANUFACTURE PROCESS.

I've seen all kinds of ridiculous cables, the mega expensive digital ones don't make me laugh anywhere near as much as the guys who can 'see/hear' a difference.

Example. Somewhere, a guy is trying to sell that to people, IT'S SOLD OUT!? Please, peruse the reviews and see the wonderment.

I just clicked on the first one I saw lol. The price made me question it and that's the reason why I even put those in the original post.

Because they are the 6-inch ones provided by Schiit. Cute.

OP, consider this cable: http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-1-5ft-Premium-22AWG-Cable/dp/B003L1717K

Yea the cables being shorter also was a factor. I love Monoprice as much as the next guy (used to have those awesome $30 over-ears they make), but those cables have a shit-ton of 1 star reviews. have you used them?

CPU: i7-5820k | Mobo: Asus X99-Deluxe | RAM: 16gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 | Storage: Samsung XP941 Series 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive; Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | GPUs: 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 | Audio: Audeze LCD​-2; Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC

I was talking to a guy on some other forum who was getting almost the same setup as me. I asked which one to get, and he said optical. I didn't question him, but I came here. Is there any difference in sound?

I just clicked on the first one I saw lol. The price made me question it and that's the reason why I even put those in the original post.

Yea the cables being shorter also was a factor. I love Monoprice as much as the next guy (used to have those awesome $30 over-ears they make), but those cables have a shit-ton of 1 star reviews. have you used them?

Most of the negs are from a year ago, but this year there's still a report or two so maybe this could be one to skip IDK...

My money's on poor QC on that line.

Optical has more pitfalls than USB. USB is much more versatile, you have multiple USB ports but only one optical. Every PC has USB, not every PC has optical. You only choose optical if you have some strange reason (or one above me) that you need it. The argument for other devices is moot because you're buying an amp with RCA input anyway.

Reviews are always to be taken with a grain of salt. There is always a vocal minority. Reviews on any website 30% reviews and 70% complaint box. I have monoprice RCA cables and a monoprice 3.5mm to RCA cable. Both are solid quality, good terminals, thick cabling. Quite durable, certainly doesn't feel like a 5$ cable.

Those will work fine as well, but 22$ for a 6' cable, not havin that.

Error: 410

I wonder if it is a bad batch, the dates span quite a long time span. Seems more like poor quality control. It's only $15 in the scheme of things, might as well just get the Schiit cable and not worry about it.

Most of the negs are from a year ago, but this year there's still a report or two so maybe this could be one to skip IDK...

My money's on poor QC on that line.

Found some good ones

I wonder if it is a bad batch, the dates span quite a long time span. Seems more like poor quality control. It's only $15 in the scheme of things, might as well just get the Schiit cable and not worry about it.

Nah I think I'll go with these 

I use that cable to connect my o2 amp to my lepai speaker amp and it is great. No need to spend more on a cable. Only problem is if you can avoid using RCA that would be great since RCA is bulky. I say just pick up an o2 amp and the headphones and connect using 3.5mm. No need for a dac or the RCA cable. I don't like Schiit at all. Hate their products. 

complain box

I agree that the majority of them will be fine or the overall rating could not have been amassed, and I can't say I've ever left a positive review for a cable on amazon. :lol:

Still though, a lot of reports of the same thing does say to me that there is some kind of QC issue with those connectors even if the numbers are small.

I use that cable to connect my o2 amp to my lepai speaker amp and it is great. No need to spend more on a cable. Only problem is if you can avoid using RCA that would be great since RCA is bulky. I say just pick up an o2 amp and the headphones and connect using 3.5mm. No need for a dac or the RCA cable. I don't like Schiit at all. Hate their products. 

Why do you hate their products? I am new to the whole AMP/DAC thing so explain it to me in great detail please

Why do you hate their products? I am new to the whole AMP/DAC thing so explain it to me in great detail please

Product-wise it's nothing special in an ugly package. The o2/odac combo unit is a much cleaner look, performs better, and takes up less space and does not need extra cables and it's $250 over at Mayflower. The Modi/Magni also as a gain problem where the range is not as wide so they cannot be used with very sensitive headphones like IEMs without the volume being blaring loud. I hate the company specifically because they tried to cover up one of their amps literally killing headphones. It was their old Asgard and when it shut down, it emitted a high voltage shock to the headphones and would warp the drivers. 

Edit: You can also save some money by just buying the O2 amp without the dac since the dac won't make too much of a difference. If you want to add one later on, you can always do so. 

Product-wise it's nothing special in an ugly package. The o2/odac combo unit is a much cleaner look, performs better, and takes up less space and does not need extra cables and it's $250 over at Mayflower. The Modi/Magni also as a gain problem where the range is not as wide so they cannot be used with very sensitive headphones like IEMs without the volume being blaring loud. I hate the company specifically because they tried to cover up one of their amps literally killing headphones. It was their old Asgard and when it shut down, it emitted a high voltage shock to the headphones and would warp the drivers. 

Edit: You can also save some money by just buying the O2 amp without the dac since the dac won't make too much of a difference. If you want to add one later on, you can always do so. 

O2 does not perform better.

I think spec-wise it does but it's little difference. 

Edit: But man have you seen this? This looks super amazing. Too bad it's $330

If you two could try to prove your opinions with facts, that would help me out a lot, Non-biased things about how the products preform

If you two could try to prove your opinions with facts, that would help me out a lot, Non-biased things about how the products preform

According to every head-to-head listening review I've read on the two, they perform the same. On paper, the Magni puts out more power and has lower output impedance. The issue of fixed gain is real on the Magni but it won't affect inefficient cans like the HE-400.

What I would do is start off with an amp and maybe add the matching dac later.

Sound quality-wise, there is little difference between the products. You probably won't be able to pick out which is better in a blind test. You probably won't be able to tell a difference if you forgo a dac and just get the amp either. I would go with an o2 amp just because of the gain problems, it looks better, and the company is not trustworthy. 

According to every head-to-head listening review I've read on the two, they perform the same. On paper, the Magni puts out more power and has lower output impedance. The issue of fixed gain is real on the Magni but it won't affect inefficient cans like the HE-400.

What I would do is start off with an amp and maybe add the matching dac later.

What do you mean by "inefficient"?

Sound quality-wise, there is little difference between the products. You probably won't be able to pick out which is better in a blind test. You probably won't be able to tell a difference if you forgo a dac and just get the amp either. I would go with an o2 amp just because of the gain problems, it looks better, and the company is not trustworthy. 

If having a DAC won't make a difference, what's the point of them?

I think spec-wise it does but it's little difference. 

Edit: But man have you seen this? This looks super amazing. Too bad it's $330

Meh, the desktop O2 looks that good and is actually a reasonable value.

It's really not a problem with most headphones.

What do you mean by "inefficient"?

If having a DAC won't make a difference, what's the point of them?

They have a low sensitivity, basically meaning that for a given input power they produce less volume. Higher gain is actually a good thing in this situation.

If your onboard audio is no good then there is a point. If you have extremely detailed headphones and have an extremely discerning ear there might be a point. If you need special functionality there might be a point.

They have a low sensitivity, basically meaning that for a given input power they produce less volume. Higher gain is actually a good thing in this situation.

If your onboard audio is no good then there is a point. If you have extremely detailed headphones and have an extremely discerning ear there might be a point. If you need special functionality there might be a point.

I now have a bunch of questions:

Are the HE-400's the best cans on the market for $300 or less?

Is the onboard for the z97-WS good enough so that I don't need a DAC?

Is higher or lower sensitivity better?

If I just want to listen to music in the car on my iPod, without an amp, will the HE-400's be loud enough?

I don't exactly have an "extremely" distinguishing ear, but I do play guitar and am in a band, so I like to pick out layers in a song, but I'm guessing that's more the headphone's job with clarity and not the DAC

I now have a bunch of questions:

Are the HE-400's the best cans on the market for $300 or less?

Is the onboard for the z97-WS good enough so that I don't need a DAC?

Is higher or lower sensitivity better?

If I just want to listen to music in the car on my iPod, without an amp, will the HE-400's be loud enough?

I don't exactly have an "extremely" distinguishing ear, but I do play guitar and am in a band, so I like to pick out layers in a song, but I'm guessing that's more the headphone's job with clarity and not the DAC

1. There is no such thing as an absolute "best" headphone. I believe they are considered among the best at that price point if you like the sound signature. But only you can be the judge of that.
  2. Yes.
  3. Neither is really better, it's just a by-product of how a headphone is designed. "Higher quality" headphones generally are by nature harder to drive but this isn't a hard rule.
  4. Get them first and see if they are loud enough. If not, there are some good and fairly inexpensive mobile amps that will hook up to your ipod or whatever.
  5. Ultimately, the quality of a recording and the quality of your headphones will have vastly more impact on the final sound.

Edited to add: An external DAC may be *cleaner* than an onboard one; this is because the interior of a computer is subject to a lot of electrical noise/power fluctuations that can negatively impact the sound. That said, I can't really tell a difference between my external Fiio amp/DAC and my onboard, at least not with my current headphones.

1. There is no such thing as an absolute "best" headphone. I believe they are considered among the best at that price point if you like the sound signature. But only you can be the judge of that.
  2. Yes.
  3. Neither is really better, it's just a by-product of how a headphone is designed. "Higher quality" headphones generally are by nature harder to drive but this isn't a hard rule.
  4. Get them first and see if they are loud enough. If not, there are some good and fairly inexpensive mobile amps that will hook up to your ipod or whatever.
  5. Ultimately, the quality of a recording and the quality of your headphones will have vastly more impact on the final sound.

Ok, good. Those are the answers I wanted to hear haha. One more question though.

If headphones like the HE-400 are so easy to drive, why is an amp even needed? Could I just say "fuck it" and not buy an amp, or a DAC, or just only buy an inexpensive portable amp and just get a pair of HE-500's? Does the AMP affect sound quality at all on these easily-driven phones?