Star Citizen questions

sakoki

Hello,

I have been hearing a lot about Star Citizen, and having seen some of the footage, I've been considering getting the game.

However, I really don't know much about it, and as none of my friends or aquaintances seem to be interested in this game, I'll have to turn to this forum for some information.

So, here are my questions, I might add some more later.

1) Is the game P2W? Appearently you get better ships if you pay more money (up to 15k, lol), unless the differences are purely cosmetic this seems pretty P2W to me.

2) Will there be a subscription fee? I don't play any subscription-based games, so that's a very important question, I don't won't to pay for a game which I will never play.

3) Which package do I need to buy to gain full access? The 30$ pack doesn't include beta-access, will I get access to all the features if I buy the 40$ package or will I miss out on something important?

That's about it for now, thanks in advance :D

Edit 1:

4) How will my GPU, a ASUS DirectCU II version of the AMD Radeon R9 290x, handle the game? Will I be able to play at 60+ Frames on full settings in 1080p? Airflow in my case should be decent at least, I'm not using any additional fans but my case is the ThermalTake Chaser MK-1 which has several big fans...

5) This kinda ties in with question 2, but will I need  to invest any further money into the game? Like, if my ship gets destroyed (can that happen btw?), will I need to buy a new one?

Edit 2:

6) This is a really important question, which ship should I get? I was going to get the cheapest one, but I'm starting to really like this game, so I'd rather get something that will fit my role perfectly. Could you maybe explain what the best ships for different uses are? Like, what is the best cargo ship, which one is the best hunter, stuff like that.

1) its not Pay 2 win, the payment thing is mostley aimed for people with less time and bigger wallets, ofc it will be abused by the rich as well but it´s not as bad as it sound. and there is the Cap so its not like you can buy an 20 Idris whenever you feel like it

2) No

3) https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/316-aurora-mr
And https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/module-passes

3) Which package do I need to buy to gain full access? The 30$ pack doesn't include beta-access, will I get access to all the features if I buy the 40$ package or will I miss out on something important?

this is something I want to know too, as I want to access all aspects of the game

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1) its not Pay 2 win, the payment thing is mostley aimed for people with less time and bigger wallets, ofc it will be abused by the rich as well but it´s not as bad as it sound. and there is the Cap so its not like you can buy an 20 Idris whenever you feel like it

2) No

3) https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/316-aurora-mr

And https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/module-passes

1) Well, yes, that's what P2W usually is. You can either grind or pay.

2) Sauce?

3) Are you absolutely sure about that? I really want to have full access if I'm gonna buy this game, I don't like half-assing things.

this is something I want to know too, as I want to access all aspects of the game

Well i know that all the alpha slots in the game packages are sold out. so u need to buy an arena commander pass which is an extra 5$.  All packages should include Beta still unless that has sold out as well.  If it has sold out im sure there will be a pass available whenever any beta modules come out.

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: They're more like guide lines than actual rules. :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Well i know that all the alpha slots in the game packages are sold out. so u need to buy an arena commander pass which is an extra 5$.  All packages should include Beta still unless that has sold out as well.  If it has sold out im sure there will be a pass available whenever any beta modules come out.

So alpha access will allow me to play all the modules, right?

Yes if you have alpha access you have acces to pretty much everything.   but if you are just now pledging alpha is unavailable u have to buy an arena commander pass wich is just acces to the dog fight module.

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: They're more like guide lines than actual rules. :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Updated the description BTW, would be nice to get further information as would like to buy the game ASAP

I'm actually considering getting a better ship, this stuff looks amazing :)

DUDE i dont wanna be a dick but the information is out there on this forum and the rsi sight.  They even have a handy page explaining all the ships https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ship-specs.  Check out our thread here  for ideas on how the game will run.  

Hello,

I have been hearing a lot about Star Citizen, and having seen some of the footage, I've been considering getting the game.

However, I really don't know much about it, and as none of my friends or aquaintances seem to be interested in this game, I'll have to turn to this forum for some information.

1) Is the game P2W? Appearently you get better ships if you pay more money (up to 15k, lol), unless the differences are purely cosmetic this seems pretty P2W to me.

2) Will there be a subscription fee? I don't play any subscription-based games, so that's a very important question, I don't won't to pay for a game which I will never play.

Edit 1:

4) How will my GPU, a ASUS DirectCU II version of the AMD Radeon R9 290x, handle the game? Will I be able to play at 60+ Frames on full settings in 1080p? Airflow in my case should be decent at least, I'm not using any additional fans but my case is the ThermalTake Chaser MK-1 which has several big fans...

5) This kinda ties in with question 2, but will I need  to invest any further money into the game? Like, if my ship gets destroyed (can that happen btw?), will I need to buy a new one?

Edit 2:

6) This is a really important question, which ship should I get? I was going to get the cheapest one, but I'm starting to really like this game, so I'd rather get something that will fit my role perfectly. Could you maybe explain what the best ships for different uses are? Like, what is the best cargo ship, which one is the best hunter, stuff like that.

1) as far as P2W the model they are under currently doesnt count really. They are pre alpha and the ships you and packages you buy are going to pay for the development of the game. After launch I don't believe they will be seeling ships for real money. They have said you will be able to buy a small amount of credits each month but it wont be anything near what you need to buy a ship as far as I know.

2)There will not be a required sub fee. You buy it one time and thats it (like guild wars). They do offer an optional subscriprtion right now that gets you jump point magazine every month and some decorative items that have no in game effect.

3)If you haven't pledged yet you will need to buy a package which gives you beta access (all alpha slots are gone) and if you want to participate in the alpha modules ( Arena Commander, Planet Side (when it comes out) and others TBD) you will need to buy a pass (for each module) for $5, which basically covers the server cost.

4)For right now your GPU should be more than enough. We wont know the full specs till its out. They said like a year ago they were aiming for the final release to run on a GTX 770 or equivalent  at medium details at 1080p. Remember the game is pre-alpha so it is no where near optimized so as far as FPS it could be all over the place.

5)They will be selling in game insurance for ships and equipment. As long as your insurance is paid your covered if not your out of luck. They said insurance would be pretty cheap and you use in game money so you should be alright.

6)This is a really subjective question. I would buy whatever ship you can afford right now and you can always trade it in and upgrade later. The sooner you pledge the more backer rewards you will get. As far as ships go there are alot of them you can't buy and some you may not be able to till we are in game.

Hope some of this helped. If you have anymore questions I would be happy to try and answer them.

LTT conglomerate can use your support. Join us at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT .   See you in the verse.

DUDE i dont wanna be a dick but the information is out there on this forum and the rsi sight.  They even have a handy page explaining all the ships https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ship-specs.  Check out our thread here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/161793-arena-commander-post-your-specs-and-screenshots/ for ideas on how the game will run.  

Well, first of all, you're not at all a dick by posting this link, I actually couldn't find this on their website, I found another guide though. However, the "explanation" on their site doesn't actually do a very well job of explaining it. For example, what use will a ship be that is made for "exploration" or "racing"? In one of the few videos I've seen they mentioned a few roles, those being "Merchant", "Pirate", "Mercenary" and "Bounty Hunter". How is a ship made for exploration going to be useful for any of those jobs? Anyway, as I've said already, I have found a nice guide (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46095085/Buyer%27s%20Guide.pdf) which gave a nice insight, though I don't know which of the limited ships are still available. Based on the assumption that all the limited ships have been sold out already, I have decided to go for a ship from the 300 series, the freelancer or the cutlass, depending on a) my budget and b) whether or not my friends want to play aswell (if yes, I might want multiple seats). If for some reason I end up willing to spend a fair amount of money on this game and find out that none of my friends want to play star citizen, I might buy a hornet, but that's very unprobable.

moar stuff

Thanks, that was actually really helpful, I will most definitel pledge as soon as I have chosen a ship :)

Well, first of all, you're not at all a dick by posting this link, I actually couldn't find this on their website, I found another guide though. However, the "explanation" on their site doesn't actually do a very well job of explaining it. For example, what use will a ship be that is made for "exploration" or "racing"? In one of the few videos I've seen they mentioned a few roles, those being "Merchant", "Pirate", "Mercenary" and "Bounty Hunter". How is a ship made for exploration going to be useful for any of those jobs? Anyway, as I've said already, I have found a nice guide (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46095085/Buyer%27s%20Guide.pdf) which gave a nice insight, though I don't know which of the limited ships are still available. Based on the assumption that all the limited ships have been sold out already, I have decided to go for a ship from the 300 series, the freelancer or the cutlass, depending on a) my budget and B) whether or not my friends want to play aswell (if yes, I might want multiple seats). If for some reason I end up willing to spend a fair amount of money on this game and find out that none of my friends want to play star citizen, I might buy a hornet, but that's very unprobable.

Thanks, that was actually really helpful, I will most definitel pledge as soon as I have chosen a ship :)

honestly the specific roles hasnt really been set in stone so its all guessing and stuff.  But if you want to explore any ship they label as exploration will do the trick.  Also the 300 series are awesome ships cant go wrong there.  I bought an aurora LN cuz it was cheap but still upgraded from base ship also it can really do allot of things.  If i had the funds though i would get a cutlass in a heartbeat 

honestly the specific roles hasnt really been set in stone so its all guessing and stuff.  But if you want to explore any ship they label as exploration will do the trick.  Also the 300 series are awesome ships cant go wrong there.  I bought an aurora LN cuz it was cheap but still upgraded from base ship also it can really do allot of things.  If i had the funds though i would get a cutlass in a heartbeat 

Well yeah, I get that the ships that are meant for exploration are good at exploration, but that's more of a side effect when doing whatever job/mission/something you're doing rather than the actual job/mission/something, no? Also, what is the reason you would've gone for the Cutlass? I would really like to hear some arguments for the different ships from people who have already pledged and played the game.

Well no one really knows what the specific missions or jobs are gunna be its all still being made up by RSI and they have a tight lid on those things so its all just guessing at the moment.  I like the Cutlass because its not crazy expensive and it has the most Maneuvering thrusters in its class and also a great size/weight to thrust ratio.  Another reason is its classed as a kinda pirate/mercenary ship with lots of upgrade slots and i plan to be a pirate/ mercenary.  But i haven't had 110$ to blow on a video game ship :).  I am probably just gunna stick with the aurora and wait to buy the cutlass when the full game releases and i can earn it with in game credit.

Oh also check out Wingmans hanger and 10 for the chairman videos on you tube or on the RSI sight they answer tons of questions.

Hello,

Edit 1:

Edit 2:

Since people aren't being very clear with their wording, ill add something here.

1) All of the ships you can currently pledge for will be available to buy with in-game credits that you earn by playing the game on launch. You pledge more now, you start off with bigger/more ships. You won't be able to buy ships like this on release, it's just like a 'reward' for donating certain amounts. There's no P2W.

2) Nope

3) Any pack $40+ is recommended (Aurora LN is a good starting point). Since the alpha slots are all gone now, you only get access to the hanger with your purchase, however you'll gain access to the persistent universe when it hits beta + the full game. From now till release, each alpha module (Arena Commander Module, First Person Shooter Module etc) will require a $5 'pass' purchase to pay for more servers to come online to handle the extra load.

4) Keep in mind that the full game isn't out for two years, and they're surely going to upgrade CryEngine versions between now and then. I'd assume your card will be able to handle medium/high @ 1080p by the time the full Persistence Universe is released at the end of 2015. They aren't limiting themselves with this game, it's gonna be another Crysis 1 on launch.

5) Your ship can get destroyed or stolen (if boarded). Insurance will be a central part of the game, with two tiers being available, the first tier (replacement of ship) is cheap and everyone should be able to afford it. The second tier (replacement of ship + equipment + cargo) will be more expensive but still affordable. The pledge packages come with certain amounts of insurance pre-paid anyways.

6) That's really up to you. I'll do a quick breakdown of the ships for you (excluding ships in the multiple-ship packages):

CQ/Dogfighting-designed ships:

Aurora: A general-purpose starter ship with a good balance of cargo space and weapon slots. Isn't the fastest turning ship but can still dogfight (with the current flight model anyways). The LN version is recommended as it has better shielding and more weapon points.

300i: One of the fastest, quickest turning ships available. Carries around the same amount of cargo (depending on configuration) as the Aurora but is generally better at everything. The 300i is the base, balanced model. 300P is designed for exploration and has more cargo space. The 325A is the military version with a advanced weapons and targeting system.

Avenger: Has a similar weapons loadout to the 325A but is larger and has more cargo space. Is suited as an 'Interceptor'. Is slower than the 300i but is more versatile.

Hornet: Designed as the ultimate dogfighter, with a top turret that (depending on config) can shoot 360 degrees, and comes with an advanced armor/shielding system. Although the base model can, the Hornet is not designed to carry cargo. It's not as fast as a 300i but can take more damage. The base model is recommended as a good all-rounder for dogfighting, with the Ghost version designed for infiltration (with an armor refit and low-emission weapons/power systems), and the Tracker version is designed for support/scouting/commanding. The super hornet (ultra-tough military version) isn't available in the single ship packages.

Multicrew/cargo transports:

Cutlass: Good, all-rounder cargo ship that can hold 2 people. Has a large cargo hold and a tractor turret for search and rescue. It's too slow to dogfight but has quite a powerful top turret, three shielding systems, and an array of other weapons.

Freelancer: An older vessel designed for long-distance cargo transport and exploration. Can hold more cargo than the Cutlass. Is generally stronger, and has better weapon systems too, but is a lot slower and hard to turn. Base model is a 2 person, good all-rounder for cargo transport and defense. DUR Variant has less cargo space to add exploration systems. MAX variant removes around 50% of the weapon systems and one shielding unit to add more cargo space. MIS version adds more missile systems at the expense of cargo space, and improves on base shielding systems.

Constellation: The ultimate multi-purpose ship. Has a massive cargo hold, a deployable fighter, and two player or NPC controlled top/bottom turrets. Is designed for 4 people but can hold more if required. Has the strongest shielding systems of all of the single-package ships. Is bloody expensive, but is well worth it, I'm planning to get it when I can.

Just a note that only the base variants of the Aurora, 300i, and Hornet are available to try in Arena Commander right now. The others will be added in later patches. If you buy a ship that isn't in AC right now, you'll be given an equivalent ship to fly.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

So I get that all the alpha slots are taken.

My question is, is the beta of each module going to come out, say a month after each alpha release of the module; or will beta be like when all the modules are out and the game will be tested as a whole? Simplified, what is beta access and when (approximation or in relation to the modules) will it come out?

Another question, is it worth it to buy a package now and not have to worry about beta slots or would it be fine to wait a while till more of the modules are released?

So I get that all the alpha slots are taken.

My question is, is the beta of each module going to come out, say a month after each alpha release of the module; or will beta be like when all the modules are out and the game will be tested as a whole? Simplified, what is beta access and when (approximation or in relation to the modules) will it come out?

Another question, is it worth it to buy a package now and not have to worry about beta slots or would it be fine to wait a while till more of the modules are released?

After reading the FAQ myself, it seems 'beta' is the beta of the persistence universe, once all of the current modules are complete. So you're gonna be waiting a longggg time if you don't buy alpha passes for the modules (end of 2015 at least). It's worth buying the packages now, since the prices might go up in the future, the money you save can be used to buy the alpha passes ;).

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

This is a totally subjective question, but I'm looking at two packages (I don't have hardly any money to spend) the Aurora LN or the Avenger. I really like the Avenger ( it looks like a good all around ship and has a lot of carrying capacity). The question is if it is worth it? If I get the Avenger I will probably have a harder time justifying the $5 every time a new module comes out. On the other hand The Aurora also looks good all around, but looks a little weak. Simplified, would it be worth it to buy the Avenger?

This is a totally subjective question, but I'm looking at two packages (I don't have hardly any money to spend) the Aurora LN or the Avenger. I really like the Avenger ( it looks like a good all around ship and has a lot of carrying capacity). The question is if it is worth it? If I get the Avenger I will probably have a harder time justifying the $5 every time a new module comes out. On the other hand The Aurora also looks good all around, but looks a little weak. Simplified, would it be worth it to buy the Avenger

Note that new modules will only come out once every 5-6 months (or even longer), there is quite a gap. On top of this, there are only 5 modules in total: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/project-status

So over three years you'll only need to spend an extra $25 to get alpha access to all modules (keeping in mind you can skip alpha access for a module if it doesn't interest you and you'll keep access to already unlocked modules that will continue to gain features and patches).

If you're fine with this, get the Avenger. If not, get the Aurora LN and you'll be happy either way. I have the Aurora LN myself, but am looking at getting the connie package as well in the near future.

EDIT: 5 modules in total, hanger you get for free, my bad.