Do You Think Maxwell WILL Come Out This Year? + Several Other Questions

MeesterJackson

So I'm going to be building a PC in about Fall-ish of this year. I really am having a hard time deciding between an R9 290 and a GTX 780 (Yes I understand the 290 is for the most part more powerful, but it's only by a bit and I also have to add in reliability in the equation since AMD is known for bad driver support and blah blah EVGA is god blah blah lol). 

However apparently Maxwell is supposed to come out this year, but there's been rumors that it wont since multiple companies are having a hard time with the 20nm process and the cards are also rumored for 2015. Should I buy one of the two cards mentioned before, or should I hold off for Maxwell? (If it's fall of 2015, you can forget it, cause I'm not waiting THAT long lol). 

So what do you guys think? Should I wait? Do you think Maxwell IS coming out this year? Should I get a R9 290 (It'd most likely be the Sapphire Vapor-X version since it's the best one) and go for power or a GTX 780 and go for reliability and stability? 

Thanks, 

Jackson

Actually it's the 780 that is slightly more powerful. 

Maxwell, as far as rumours are concerned, has been delayed until 2015, much like Broadwell. This seems to make sense, seeing Intel and Nvidia seem to deliberately release their new products at the same time. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

You better get one of the options that suits you better at the time you're able to buy them, trying to guess now is not a good ideia, price ranges also vary when time passes by.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

You better get one of the options that suits you better at the time you're able to buy them, trying to guess now is not a good ideia, price ranges also vary when time passes by.

Eh, excitement always gets me pumped up for stuff. If I know I'm going to have the money for something I really want, I always research and pre-plan things often. If something happens later to the point of where it changes my mind on what to buy, then I'll simply change the parts around. 

its late 2014 or very early 2015

reports say 20nm issues from TSMC has been fixed a few days ago

so its either 28nm late this year or maybe nvidia will surprise us with 20nm Q1 or Q2 maxwell release

and maybe possible they could do both like what they did with the GTX 280 and GTX 285

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Eh, excitement always gets me pumped up for stuff. If I know I'm going to have the money for something I really want, I always research and pre-plan things often. If something happens later to the point of where it changes my mind on what to buy, then I'll simply change the parts around. 

Yeah, i am like you. I study all the possibilities before i decide, but when it comes to release dates, everything gets so "blurry", unless it is confirmed by "them".

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

its late 2014 or very early 2015

reports say 20nm issues from TSMC has been fixed a few days ago

so its either 28nm late this year or maybe nvidia will surprise us with 20nm Q1 or Q2 maxwell release

and maybe possible they could do both like what they did with the GTX 280 and GTX 285

That would be?

I really hope Maxwell comes out ASAP. I'd love to have the processing power of 780 with about 100-140W power consumption. 

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Yeah, i am like you. I study all the possibilities before i decide, but when it comes to release dates, everything gets so "blurry", unless it is confirmed by "them".

Yep. :T

That would be?

excellent :D

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

excellent :D

Well I don't know what they did with those two cards in the first place. Care to tell? Lol

That would be?

285 is essentially a faster 280 using more advanced (55 instead of 65 nm) design and less power consumption. Kinda like 750 and 650 today.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

285 is essentially a faster 280 with a different (55 instead of 65 nm) design and less power consumption. Kinda like 750 and 650 today.

Ah. Then that would be great to see. 

Well I don't know what they did with those two cards in the first place. Care to tell? Lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_200_series#GeForce_200_Series

u will notice that when nvidia first released the 200 series nvidia GPU it was 65nm

55nm came a bit late so they ended up making some with 65 and some with 55 within the SAME series

these normally happen in low end models but ive never seen them happen in the higher end models before

this could happen again with the release of maxwell if nvidia was impatient

290 isn't more powerful than a 780.

Someone answered with this already.

It doesn't matter, every nvidia fan has a chip implanted that compels them to stop whatever they're doing and hunt down the heathen that implies that a lowly AMD card could ever compete with the mighty green...

If anyone had some sources of what they are claiming regarding 20 nm release, that would be great. I am still going okay on my GTX 580 but i would like to upgrade some time in august or september this year. 20 nm won't be ready i guess but at least SOME card that's significantly better than current gen and has more than 3 gigs of VRAM would be pleasing.

who cares...

It doesn't matter, every nvidia fan has a chip implanted that compels them to stop whatever they're doing and hunt down the heathen that implies that a lowly AMD card could ever compete with the mighty green...

Well everyone should know the 290X crushes the 780. 

If anyone had some sources of what they are claiming regarding 20 nm release, that would be great. I am still going okay on my GTX 580 but i would like to upgrade some time in august or september this year. 20 nm won't be ready i guess but at least SOME card that's significantly better than current gen and has more than 3 gigs of VRAM would be pleasing.

One thing that I've never liked about Nvidia is that they charge you...A LOT for more VRAM. I think it's utterly stupid. Just distribute the VRAM across your cards like AMD does. 

One thing that I've never liked about Nvidia is that they charge you...A LOT for more VRAM. I think it's utterly stupid. Just distribute the VRAM across your cards like AMD does. 

It feels like they give you too few on purpose so you have to buy the higher VRAM model. But no, 'it's designed more efficiently than you think'.

I would like to see 5 GB of VRAM on the GTX 880. :/

who cares...

They will try their absolute hardest to release in Q4 for the holidays.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock