シルバー - Shirubā

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

COMPLETE! 

Everything wired up, side panels on, booted and Windows installed. Still got some software setup to do, but I won't be documenting that. 

Going to take some final pictures soon, probably today with my phone, but I'll take some more, better ones with my friend's camera or another camera if I can find one I can use. For now I've left you a Shinobu gif as a placeholder. 

It's taken a while, but I've really enjoyed this build. I feel like I've learnt a fair bit about modding from this build as several things didn't go to plan and I had to change things as I went along. Finishing this has made me want to create another rig (probably a media PC/720p gaming). I have a few ideas for it, among which are designing it in a Mirror's Edge art style or using an anime character as a base (probably Shinobu or another character from the Monogatari series). Keep an eye out for another build log from me at some point in 2015. 

Thank you to everyone who's followed, commented, provided helpful criticism and suggestions, complimented or just looked at the build log. I'll be submitting it to build logs of the month/week soon, so please vote for it if you have the chance (: 

Bye for now (: 

tumblr_mgcikkZdyN1rnrot7o1_500.gif

It's in my top 10 anime (: 

I look forward to it :D. Also how are you mounting that 3.5" HDD as when i rip about ma drive cage i wont have anywhere to put it apart from on the bottom.

Steve

Ahh that eye candy.... 

Looking forward to Friday :D

Whats happening friday?

Steve

Who knows, maybe I'll switch it over later on, right now it's still fine. I'd probably sell it on the classifieds, yeah, people that will appreciate sleeved cables, unlike on eBay xD Although I have cut off the 2pins from the 6+2pin PCIE cables so that they can be sleeved clean. I've still got one more of them to sleeve before they're complete, but it will only take a few minutes. 

CPU block's on. Decided to just use EK's included TIM, there's so little difference between them that it's not worth going to the attic to get my MX-4 xD

Pics? 

Whats happening friday?

I'll probably try and install the GPU and CPU blocks in a bit, so hopefully there'll be more pictures to come later today. On Friday I'll probably move everything onto a larger table downstairs and take pictures of all of the boxes that are currently taking up a lot of space in my room. 

^This :D

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

^This :D

Ah Thanks. I'm extremely oblivious to all occurrences i read. On another note casually listening to cowboy bebop ost. Just finsihed Ep 8 xD 

Steve

I look forward to it :D. Also how are you mounting that 3.5" HDD as when i rip about ma drive cage i wont have anywhere to put it apart from on the bottom.

Not 100% sure. Eventually it'll move out of the case and into an external RAID enclosure, but I'm thinking of mounting it vertically on the back of the SSD mounting plate. 

Pics? 

They're coming. Done one of the graphics cards (first time fully removing the cooler) and it seems to have all gone well. Uploading the pictures, then I'll post them. 

Not 100% sure. Eventually it'll move out of the case and into an external RAID enclosure, but I'm thinking of mounting it vertically on the back of the SSD mounting plate. 

They're coming. Done one of the graphics cards (first time fully removing the cooler) and it seems to have all gone well. Uploading the pictures, then I'll post them. 

I'm going to go to bed now. If they aren't here by the time I wake up I'll bloody murder you. (Obviously not joking.) 

:P 

I'm going to go to bed now. If they aren't here by the time I wake up I'll bloody murder you. (Obviously not joking.) 

:P

I'm going to post them, then head off to bed myself xD 

I should be able to get the other graphics card done tomorrow when I get back from college, and maybe do some test fittings with the radiators to see what angled fittings I'll need. To be honest, I have a pretty good idea of the fittings I need, so I may order them tonight so that I get them on Friday and don't have to wait. 

CPU Block is on! Nice and clean looking. Not really much to say about it, it's just a normal CPU block install xD 

qJjqQkN.jpg

LShWjf3.jpg

vmO503G.jpg

Now to start on the GPUs. Going to miss these coolers I think. Not really sure what to do with them after this... Maybe mount them to the wall or something?

Well, backplate off first. 

vFX9iwU.jpg

After removing a few thousand screws and very gentle wiggling for 10 minutes, finally got the cooler off. 

1d5sUPx.jpg

Nice and clean! Couldn't get it to focus on the GK110 text (I'm using my phone for pictures by the way. I'm pretty impressed with how it's doing so far. Might borrow my friend's £600+ camera for the final shots) 

goqjywP.jpg

Block and backplate installed. I'll probably do the next one tomorrow. 

qb8L8Xf.jpg

JZPYNia.jpg

h7i6ljt.jpg

That's it for tonight. I'm at college tomorrow, so can't do too much. Will be getting a new drill on Friday, so I can remove the optical cage and then get the mounting plate in. I'll also take some pictures of all of the boxes together and probably get the radiators, SSDs and GPUs in the case. 

Just ordered the final fittings. I should have everything I need now, unless I come across some problems later on. 

Hey bicycle I just realized you changed your name :P

Yeah, changed it last month (: Resisting the urge to change my avatar again xD I need to stick to one.

Find Shinobu riding a bike!

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Yeah, changed it last month (: Resisting the urge to change my avatar again xD I need to stick to one.

As long as it's the see character you should be fine, though still a touch annoying. Though no where near annoying as people having the save avatar.

Well, second GPU block is on. Only two pictures as I've already got pictures of the first one. I've still got the terminal to install between the two cards, but I won't put that on until they're ready to go into the motherboard. 

Also, I got a new drill today, but it's too late to actually use it. I'll be removing the optical cage tomorrow and hopefully installing the mounting plate, radiators, SSDs, reservoir and fittings, maybe tubing if I can get round to it. 

Wr8xntA.jpg

Bvoe95u.jpg

Pretty big setback. Upon closer inspection, the optical cages are attached to the entire front of the case, so just removing the rivets I pictured isn't enough. I'm looking to see if I have anything to cut through the cage without completely ghetto cutting it. I have a jigsaw, but it's too unwieldy to be of any use. 

I would use my dremel, but I don't have any metal cutting discs for it. I'm thinking I might have to go down to B&Q to buy some metal snips and then file down the edges. 

Hopefully these will be strong enough http://www.diy.com/departments/jcb-cr-v-steel-straight-cut-aviation-tin-snip/261627_BQ.prd

Pretty big setback. Upon closer inspection, the optical cages are attached to the entire front of the case, so just removing the rivets I pictured isn't enough. I'm looking to see if I have anything to cut through the cage without completely ghetto cutting it. I have a jigsaw, but it's too unwieldy to be of any use. 

I would use my dremel, but I don't have any metal cutting discs for it. I'm thinking I might have to go down to B&Q to buy some metal snips and then file down the edges. 

Hopefully these will be strong enough http://www.diy.com/departments/jcb-cr-v-steel-straight-cut-aviation-tin-snip/261627_BQ.prd

It should only be held on by rivets. Get rid of the rivets, There might be something it slides into.

Steve

It should only be held on by rivets. Get rid of the rivets, There might be something it slides into.

Nope, it's completely attached to the front of the case. I've removed the rivets I thought it was, but it's still attached. 

cAmBWdh.jpg

Out comes the optical cages! Not as cleanly as I had hoped, but they're out.

Ended up borrowing some sheet metal cutters from my dad and sort of hacking away at the cage, removing it bit by bit. Going to have to get out some files and work away on the metal until it's level, then probably smooth the edges down with sand paper. I'm also probably going to have to paint that raw spot on the motherboard tray, but it's going to be almost completely covered, so I'm not too fussed about matching the colours. 

h7CvdL8.jpg

c5Sk0K5.jpg

PABISo4.jpg

Looks like its coming along nicely. Do borrow your friends camera for final glamour shots xD

Looks like its coming along nicely. Do borrow your friends camera for final glamour shots xD

Will do. He owes me a favour anyway. 

The case seems so much bigger with the optical cages gone. I wish more cases were completely modular and everything done up with screws, would make things so much easier. It's going to take a while to get those edges down with files, but hopefully I'll get some other stuff in the case by the end of the day.