Shall i upgrade from a fx 8120?

No 3.4ghz works with prime95 in full load, but if i try something like 3.6 the fail safe will engage....

And as i earlier said, i tried reinstalling the cooler in many different ways.

All the temps as i have specified have been in prime95 not in idle

That's still much, much too hot for 3.4Ghz. These chips aren't supposed to go above 70c for an extended period of time, ideally below 62c for 24/7 use. 

For comparison, I have an 8150 at 4.3Ghz and doesn't hit over 53c at low fan speed. 

Error: 410

I tried some arkham origins now and with 4.0 ghz there was about 10 fps in difference from before and then game ran a lot smoother. The playclaw program said that the temp of the cpu were about 49 c.

So i guess 49 c is fine. The gpu could also take a heavier load now so i guess oc will help me some time, but i also play some starcraft 2 and lol and the performance in sc2 game is terriable my friends with a i5 650 and a gtx 460 got more fps...... :)

i did played some starcraft 2... it came as a free trial when i got diablo3 and it run very very good on my PC i don't know the GPU load and i played with VSYNC so 60 fps and it stayed at 60fps...but my FX is piledriver based so the IPC per core is about 20% better and i was OCed to 4.something ghz...you should try it now with your CPU clocked properly and see if it is better...but those are good news, your temps seems more normal and FPS imporved substancialy so i guess you are in the right track!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

That's still much, much too hot for 3.4Ghz. These chips aren't supposed to go above 70c for an extended period of time, ideally below 62c for 24/7 use. 

For comparison, I have an 8150 at 4.3Ghz and doesn't hit over 53c at low fan speed. 

Maybe someting wrong with my cpu??

But it´s very strange, even if the tdp is 125 w

what about voltages, what are you looking at?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

what about voltages, what are you looking at?

about 1.398 according to cpu z. 4ghz

TDP is just a cooling spec, doesnt have anything to do with your power draw actually somewhat it does but it remains a cooling spec.

How do you apply your paste? Should be a small dot in the middle and put cooler on it. If that doesnt help make the fan profile more agressive or get a new cooler.

TDP is just a cooling spec, doesnt have anything to do with your power draw actually somewhat it does but it remains a cooling spec.

How do you apply your paste? Should be a small dot in the middle and put cooler on it. If that doesnt help make the fan profile more agressive or get a new cooler.

I applied it in many ways, Dot, X, thinn layer so it coverd the entire cpu, lines. I found that the method of a thinn layer gave the lowest temps so that´s what im running today.

I applied it in many ways, Dot, X, thinn layer so it coverd the entire cpu, lines. I found that the method of a thinn layer gave the lowest temps so that´s what im running today.

Get something like a evo 212 or nh-u12s. 

Get something like a evo 212 or nh-u12s.

Well since that I already have a ar01,I won't buy a 212. recently I read a test where the hyper 212 Evo and The ar01 was compared the ar01 had slightly better performance so I wont get a product with worse performance :-(

Well since that I already have a ar01,I won't buy a 212. recently I read a test where the hyper 212 Evo and The ar01 was compared the ar01 had slightly better performance so I wont get a product with worse performance :-(

No you are correct, this cooler should have no problem keeping up with a 1.398 voltage overclock.

I got the voltage set to auto so it might change, I don't no how I use the voltage controll on my mobo. But I have never seen it peek over 1.405

I got the voltage set to auto so it might change, I don't no how I use the voltage controll on my mobo. But I have never seen it peek over 1.405

that's probably too high, since I'm using 1.37v for 4.3Ghz, but still that alone shouldn't be bringing you into 75c territory. 

that's probably too high, since I'm using 1.37v for 4.3Ghz, but still that alone shouldn't be bringing you into 75c territory. 

The high voltage has never occured in games, it only appeard in stress testing.

Wich parameter should i change for a static voltage?

The high voltage has never occured in games, it only appeard in stress testing.

Wich parameter should i change for a static voltage?

not sure, you'd have to play around in your BIOS to take it off of auto voltage and find what it's stable at. Your overclock is extremely mild, so it's like a 90% chance that clock will work at stock VID voltage or perhaps even lower. (I can run my chip undervolted at 4Ghz)

not sure, you'd have to play around in your BIOS to take it off of auto voltage and find what it's stable at. Your overclock is extremely mild, so it's like a 90% chance that clock will work at stock VID voltage or perhaps even lower. (I can run my chip undervolted at 4Ghz)

I found the option and i set the voltage to 1.38...v, stock voltage is 1.3925 v so it´s a bit under volted. The start went fine but when i started running prime95 the temperature started to rise as excpected. But when it reached about 70 c the picture froze at the monitor and i had to do restart the machine by pressing the reset button. Shall i rise the voltage or is it any other problem that i have to deal with?

I found the option and i set the voltage to 1.38...v, stock voltage is 1.3925 v so it´s a bit under volted. The start went fine but when i started running prime95 the temperature started to rise as excpected. But when it reached about 70 c the picture froze at the monitor and i had to do restart the machine by pressing the reset button. Shall i rise the voltage or is it any other problem that i have to deal with?

no core failed the prime test before you reached 70c?

if that's the case, lower the voltage...

if you have cores failing THEN raise the voltage 1 notch and re-test...

Prime will say ''SUMMIT ERROR'' or something similar on a core that fails the stability test

Changing motherboard is a waste and would cost too much comapred to the benefits you would get. I say you should get an FX8350 and keep your current mobo. If there's one big advantage amd has over intel it's upgradeability, don't throw that away so easily.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

no core failed the prime test before you reached 70c?

if that's the case, lower the voltage...

if you have cores failing THEN raise the voltage 1 notch and re-test...

Prime will say ''SUMMIT ERROR'' or something similar on a core that fails the stability test

I think some of the cores failed at the lower voltage since that the event log showed me that i´ve got a fatal error.

So i increased the voltage and it booted but of some reason the monitor went nuts and this is what happend. http://www.ladda-upp.se/bilder/mxfpzadjrnpmb

I´ve got this problem before but that was due to the drivers of my gpu. Atleast the drivers solved it for about a week but as you can see it´s now back.

The problem came back when i started the oc, could this be the cause of the problem or is it a program that is corrupt?

Greatings

I think some of the cores failed at the lower voltage since that the event log showed me that i´ve got a fatal error.

So i increased the voltage and it booted but of some reason the monitor went nuts and this is what happend. http://www.ladda-upp.se/bilder/mxfpzadjrnpmb

I´ve got this problem before but that was due to the drivers of my gpu. Atleast the drivers solved it for about a week but as you can see it´s now back.

The problem came back when i started the oc, could this be the cause of the problem or is it a program that is corrupt?

Greatings

leave it how you had it and buy a Haswell chip

your 8120 is being a doofus 

Greatings

does it freezed and did a looping sound or anything similar when that happened or the PC seemed to be running like normal but only the display screwed up? frankly this won't look good...if it's pc freezed and this showing it can be ok, means you overclocked to far and PC crashed...if the PC seem to be responding welll but display is messed up like that it can be a GPU related issue...

unless im much mistaken, hes running an m5a97.....4+2 vrm. "there's your problem"
either that or everyones missing something like LLC or i dont know what.

not a buldozer fan but i highly doubt even 10% of 8320 couldnt reach 4ghz stable...
get core temp, run prime, measure temps, and google what the shut off temp is. friends fx4100 shut down at 90*c im guessing this is the same, his was a bad sensor btw we updated it or something and it fixed it (cant remember what it was like a year ago).
fx8's by any generation are not weak and more than capable of not limiting gpus OR getting more than enough fps in those dota2 style pos games (im mainstream, sue me).
either get something like the 970a-ud3p (its cheap enough) or double check everyhting, also putting a blanket of thermal paste over your cpu isnt a great idea, thick tim is a bad thermal conductor its just meant to conduct better than microscopic air bubbles that normally reside between the heatsink and heatspreader, use half half green pea sized amount in the center.
900x900px-LL-dc37a953_500x1000px-LL-ef8b
they're releatively big dies so a blob needs to cover about the middle 3/4 of the IHS, do enough to make sure it spreads and give it some pressure and a wiggle to make sure its well seated. I dont game.......all I do is measure temps, stress test and oc my various graphics cards and cpu's all night so i know a little about this, i really need a life....
still gutted i missed the opportunity to get an ex-sample for £50 from aria, id love to have a spare 8120 :P

Falcon: Corsair 750D 8320at4.6ghz 1.3v | 4GB MSI Gaming R9-290 @1000/1250 | 2x8GB 2400mhz Kingston HyperX Beast | Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | Antec H620 | Corsair RM750w | Crucial M500 240GB, Toshiba 2TB, DarkThemeMasterRace, my G3258 has an upgrade path, my fx8320 doesn't need one...total cost £840=cpu£105, board£65, ram£105, Cooler £20, GPU£200, PSU£88, SSD£75, HDD£57, case£125.

CASE:-NZXT S340 Black, CPU:-FX8120 @4.2Ghz, COOLER:-CM Hyper 212 EVO, BOARD:-MSI 970 Gaming, RAM:-2x4gb 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, GPU: SLI EVGA GTX480's @700/1000, PSU:-Corsair CX600m, HDD:-WD green 160GB+2TB toshiba
CASE:-(probably) Cooltek U1, CPU:-G3258 @4.5ghx, COOLER:-stock(soon "MSI Dragon" AiO likely), BOARD:-MSI z87i ITX Gaming, RAM:-1x4gb 1333mhz Patriot, GPU: Asus DCU2 r9-270 OC@1000/1500mem, PSU:-Sweex 350w.., HDD:-WD Caviar Blue 640GB
CASE:-TBD, CPU:-Core2Quad QX9650 @4Ghz, COOLER:-OCZ 92mm tower thing, BOARD:-MSI p43-c51, RAM:-4x1GB 800mhz Corsair XMS2, GPU: Zotac GTX460se @800/1000, PSU:-OCZ600sxs, HDD:-WD green 160GBBlueJean-A
 CASE:-Black/Blue Sharkoon T9, CPU:-Phenom2 x4 B55 @3.6Ghz/1.4v, COOLER:-FX8320 Stock HSF, BOARD:-M5A78L-M/USB3, RAM:-4GB 1333mhz Kingston low profile at 1600mhz, GPU:-EVGA GTX285, PSU:-Antec TP550w modu, STORAGE:-240gb  M500+2TB Toshiba
CASE:-icute zl02-3g-bb, CPU:-Phenom2 X6 1055t @3.5Ghz, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-Asrock m3a UCC, RAM:2x2GB 1333mhz Zeppelin (thats yellow!), GPU: XFX 1GB HD6870xxx, PSU:-some 450 POS, HDD:-WD Scorpio blue 120GB
CASE:-Packard Bell iMedia X2424, Custom black/red Aerocool Xpredator fulltower, CPU's:-E5200, C2D [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>(so e8500), COOLER:-Scythe Big shuriken2 Rev B, BFG gtx260 sp216 OC, RAM:-tons..
Gigabyte GTX460, Gigabyte gt430,
GPU's:-GT210 1GB,  asus hd6670 1GB gddr5, XFX XXX 9600gt 512mb Alpha dog edition, few q6600's
PICTURES CASE:-CIT mars black+red, CPU:-Athlon K6 650mhz slot A, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-QDI Kinetiz 7a, RAM:-256+256+256MB 133mhz SDram, GPU:-inno3d geforce4 mx440 64mb, PSU:-E-Zcool 450w, STORAGE:-2x WD 40gb "black" drives,
CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra, CPU:-Athlon64 4000+, COOLER:-BIG stock one, BOARD:-MSI something*, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz ECC transcend, GPU:-ati 9800se@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-2x maxtor 80gb,
PICTURES CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra (another), CPU:-Pentium4 2.8ghz prescott, COOLER:-Artic Coolering Freezer4, BOARD:-DFI lanparty infinity 865 R2, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz kingston, GPU:-ati 9550@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-another 2x WD 80gb,
CASE:-ML110 G4, CPU:-xeon 4030, COOLER:-stock leaf blower, BOARD:-stock raid 771 board, RAM:-2x2GB 666mhz kingston ECC ddr2, GPU:-9400GT 1GB, PSU:-stock delta, RAID:-JMicron JMB363 card+onboard raid controller, HDD:-320gb hitachi OS, 2xMaxtor 160gb raid1, 500gb samsungSP, 160gb WD, LAPTOP:-Dell n5030, CPU:-replaced s*** cel900 with awesome C2D E8100, RAM:-2x2GB 1333mhz ddr3, HDD:-320gb, PHONE's:-LG optimus 3D (p920) on 2.3.5@300-600mhz de-clock (batteryFTW)

does it freezed and did a looping sound or anything similar when that happened or the PC seemed to be running like normal but only the display screwed up? frankly this won't look good...if it's pc freezed and this showing it can be ok, means you overclocked to far and PC crashed...if the PC seem to be responding welll but display is messed up like that it can be a GPU related issue...

The pc does not freeze since i can hear the skype login sound in my headset.

I can also see that the picture is changing when i move the mouse around the desktop. What kind of problem might there be with my gpu? It is overclocked but i have never seen higher temps than 80 c.

The cooler of the gpu was cleaned about a month ago with canned air as the rest of the pc were cleaned. 

unless im much mistaken, hes running an m5a97.....4+2 vrm. "there's your problem"

either that or everyones missing something like LLC or i dont know what.

not a buldozer fan but i highly doubt even 10% of 8320 couldnt reach 4ghz stable...

get core temp, run prime, measure temps, and google what the shut off temp is. friends fx4100 shut down at 90*c im guessing this is the same, his was a bad sensor btw we updated it or something and it fixed it (cant remember what it was like a year ago).

fx8's by any generation are not weak and more than capable of not limiting gpus OR getting more than enough fps in those dota2 style pos games (im mainstream, sue me).

either get something like the 970a-ud3p (its cheap enough) or double check everyhting, also putting a blanket of thermal paste over your cpu isnt a great idea, thick tim is a bad thermal conductor its just meant to conduct better than microscopic air bubbles that normally reside between the heatsink and heatspreader, use half half green pea sized amount in the center.

900x900px-LL-dc37a953_500x1000px-LL-ef8b

they're releatively big dies so a blob needs to cover about the middle 3/4 of the IHS, do enough to make sure it spreads and give it some pressure and a wiggle to make sure its well seated. I dont game.......all I do is measure temps, stress test and oc my various graphics cards and cpu's all night so i know a little about this, i really need a life....

still gutted i missed the opportunity to get an ex-sample for £50 from aria, id love to have a spare 8120 :P

Thnx for your reply!

I´ll paste the result text from prime95 so you can determine if i can reach 4ghz

[Thu May 29 10:42:15 2014]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

Where do i find the stress.txt file?

About the thermal paste, i applied a small layer of it not thick as you said. And this method gave me the best temps so i kept it.
If you read my earlier posts you can see that i tested applying it in many ways.
I can ofcourse try cleaning the heatsink again and applying the thermal paste in the way you described.
But applying new thermalpaste wont fix the strange picture on the monitor?  http://www.ladda-upp.se/bilder/mxfpzadjrnpmb

Greatings

Get an FX 8320. In most cases you're looking at anywhere between 20-30% faster performance with a small overclock.
Compare the 8150 and 8350 here and then factor in overclocking since Piledriver overclocks much higher than bulldozer.
http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/crysis-3-test-gpu/graficheskaya-chast.html

It's also very cheap and just a drop in replacement. You don't need to get a new motherboard and go through the hassle of installing it in your system and then having to reformat your OS.
If you're on win7 you should also get the bulldozer patch which does improve performance quite a bit especially in games.

Thnx for your reply!

I´ll paste the result text from prime95 so you can determine if i can reach 4ghz

[Thu May 29 10:42:15 2014]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

Where do i find the stress.txt file?

About the thermal paste, i applied a small layer of it not thick as you said. And this method gave me the best temps so i kept it.
If you read my earlier posts you can see that i tested applying it in many ways.
I can ofcourse try cleaning the heatsink again and applying the thermal paste in the way you described.
But applying new thermalpaste wont fix the strange picture on the monitor?  http://www.ladda-upp.se/bilder/mxfpzadjrnpmb

Greatings

That could be a ram problem.

Check the ram voltage and timings and manually enter them instead of using auto.

Bump CPU NB to 1.25 volts and try again.