Human 'suspended animation' trials to start this month

qwertywarrior

wake me up when HL3 comes :P

ive been waiting for this for a while

sounds awesome

The researchers behind it don't want to call it suspended animation, but it's the most conventional way to explain it. The world's first humans trials will start at the UPMC Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh, with 10 patients whose injuries would otherwise be fatal to operate on. A team of surgeons will remove the patient's blood, replacing it with a chilled saline solution that would cool the body, slowing down bodily functions and delaying death from blood loss. According to Dr. Samuel Tisherman, talking to New Scientist: "We are suspending life, but we don't like to call it suspended animation because it sounds like science fiction... we call it emergency preservation and resuscitation."

Successful tests on pigs were achieved in 2000. After inducing fatal cuts, scientists were able to drop the body temperatures by around 10 degrees celsius. All the control pigs died, while those 'preserved" had a 90 percent survival rate - after some heart restarts. Like these trials, the technique is currently only useful for emergency procedures after severe injuries, situations with a survival rate of only seven percent. Funding for part of the project has come from the US Army, and the idea apparently came from the Vietnam War, where military surgeons noted that the leading cause of death was blood loss in the first 5 to 20 minutes after injury, even though roughly a third of the soldiers had wounds that would have been survivable in a typical emergency room. Science fiction-like suspended animation is still a way off: this preservation state can apparently only be prolonged for around four hours. Not nearly enough for an intergalactic journey, but possibly enough to save lives.

if your wondering about brain death from lack of oxygenHowever, at lower temperatures, cells need less oxygen because all chemical reactions slow down. This explains why people who fall into icy lakes can sometimes be revived more than half an hour after they have stopped breathing.

it only lasts up to 2 hours

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/26/human-suspended-animation-trials/

for more detail info see here

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22129623.000-gunshot-victims-to-be-suspended-between-life-and-death.html#.U4M9qCh9DW4

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

They are going to delay death from blood loss, by removing all the patient's blood?

wat

and replacing with cold saline

check out the second link for more details

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

and replacing with cold saline

check out the second link for more details

I know I know lol I was just querying the way it was phrased. :lol:

Is this the cryo-sleep chambers suspended animation? Or the Lazarus project from Mass Effect 2 suspended animation?

Is this the cryo-sleep chambers suspended animation? Or the Lazarus project from Mass Effect 2 suspended animation?

none

u cant do this for long periods "up to 2 hours"

how cool would that be, if you could freeze yourself for like 1000 years and then be the same as today only in a (probably) super epic world :D

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

none

u cant do this for long periods "up to 2 hours"

But maybe that's just the beginning.

how cool would that be, if you could freeze yourself for like 1000 years and then be the same as today only in a (probably) super epic world :D

It'd be awesome if you could wake up in a Mass Effect. Not so cool if you woke up to Fallout.

maybe with other methods but not saline

any colder and it will cause damage

It'd be awesome if you could wake up in a Mass Effect. Not so cool if you woke up to Fallout.

just in case sleep with a million bottle caps

Not going to lie but if a technology like this ever came about there would have to be serious restrictions on normal life. If you could live theoretically forever (eg. your cells divided perfectly) I would imagine that our governments would make us or most of us infertile. I just hope this happens in my lifetime.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Not going to lie but if a technology like this ever came about there would have to be serious restrictions on normal life. If you could live theoretically forever (eg. your cells divided perfectly) I would imagine that our governments would make us or most of us infertile. I just hope this happens in my lifetime.

Makes sense, we are already over-populated as it is. The more people the more resources we use and the closer we get to extinction. Top that off with immortality and we have a huge problem.

The truth is, most of us wouldn't be getting our hands on a technology like that. The only way I could see most of the human race with "immortality", would be hundreds of years(if not more) after we're capable of that technology(if we're able to live out of this planet). The life expectancy have been going up with the advancing of science/medicine. But currently there's a "level cap" on our lives the maximum being 125 years, that's theoretically speaking of course,

I do think is possible, it's only a matter of time, which most of us don't have. I'm already 28 years old, working in a hospital, so I'm realistic, I know I won't be able to see that technology. So don't wait, just enjoy your life and embrace the opportunity given by the universe. 

"I would imagine that our governments would make us or most of us infertile" - This is so true.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

This will definitely be interesting to keep up with. If they can pull it off successfully, well, a lot of cool things can then be done. 

COMIC SANS

FUTURAMA? seen it?

PC Gaming forever...

its already possible now but illegal atleast until you are legally dead. Google it for more info because you can do it today, and I'm to lazy to go into detail :P

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

This must never happen. There are far too many rich tools alive who really need to have an expiration date.

its already possible now but illegal atleast until you are legally dead. Google it for more info because you can do it today, and I'm to lazy to go into detail :P

But why would it work if you are legally dead?

I kinda doubt that this will be possible if we are talking about long periods(years)......Helping doctors by giving them extra time to save people is something else and it looks like this is what they are going for....

But if they do make it happen, I want to mindfuck Sandra Bullock too.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

I've seen a documentary on it but it causes subjects to die with no possible chance of recovery as of yet. So this seems like a technique that could also revive you after you enter a sort of "dead" state.

I've seen a documentary on it but it causes subjects to die with no possible chance of recovery as of yet. So this seems like a technique that could also revive you after you enter a sort of "dead" state.

What I've read is that they can successfully "put you to sleep" but can't yet wake you up

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

I'm not really knowledgeable in this topic, but what about the lack of oxygen going to the brain if the blood is replaced with the cold saline solution? Doesn't lack of oxygen cause brain damage? ._.

Current Build: Case: Define R4 White/Window CPU: i5 3470 @4.0Ghz GPU: GTX 680 DCUII +500Mhz(Mem) Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Monitor: Acer Monitor 1920x1080 MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Storage: 2TB HDD, 120GB 840 EVO (OS)

Future Build: 4670K, GTX 780 MSI TwinFrozr OC, Z87X-D3H, 8GB @1866Mhz, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 750D, RM 650W, Custom Loop. White/Blue/Black Colour Scheme. I literally cannot wait *_*