Difference between 0.5ms VA and 0.5ms TN response time?

Fluuwu

TN is usually advertised as having better reaction time. But what if a VA and TN panel have the same reaction time? What is the difference if there is one?
(I know VA has better contrast and everything)

The advertised response time are a total BS, check reviews.

Typically VA panels are significantly worse with a lot of smearing vs TN but there are some good VA panels like on the Samsung Odyssey monitors where they are actually competitive with some good TN/IPS panels.

Still, buying a TN in this day and age is quite a bit waste of money anyways, if your only goal is best response times then get OLED otherwise stick to IPS or a decent VA (obviously always check reviews if possible first).

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

The advertised response time are a total BS, check reviews.

Typically VA panels are significantly worse with a lot of smearing vs TN but there are some good VA panels like on the Samsung Odyssey monitors where they are actually competitive with some good TN/IPS panels.

Still, buying a TN in this day and age is quite a bit waste of money anyways, if your only goal is best response times then get OLED otherwise stick to IPS or a decent VA (obviously always check reviews if possible first).

I heard IPS response time is not better either... and OLED isn't an option right now, cause i don't poop money...

Just now, Fluuwu said:

I heard IPS response time is not better either... and OLED isn't an option right now, cause i don't poop money...

As I've said, check reviews. What you've heard is outdated information. There are good IPS panels that are competitive with response times of most TN panels without the negatives of TN like color shifting, bad viewing angles and bad contrast.

Some OLED monitors also dropped quite a bit in price and are around $650-$700 now which is in-line with most gaming "competitive" monitors that are still just TN/IPS.

50 minutes ago, WereCat said:

There are good IPS panels that are competitive with response times of most TN panels without the negatives of TN like color shifting, bad viewing angles and bad contrast.

decent 165HZ IPS > 60Hz TN for example (both low response time), at least if you grab a decently reviewed monitor that's worth the small budget I had in my personal experience

1 hour ago, Fluuwu said:

(I know VA has better contrast and everything)

VA has smearing problems, sometimes but probably more on cheap, and it's not literal smearing but ghosting with black shadows,

image.png.ec33ada89072ebf6fb3bc3db1d4d69b9.png

https://www.displayninja.com/ips-vs-tn-vs-va/

58 minutes ago, Fluuwu said:

the tech has improved, now all displays advertise for 1ms response, because from certain color -> certain color it's 1ms and they can use this to advertise because it's technically true,

same reason as @WereCat said, is to look at reviews to see how the monitor actually is, some have vague reviews some have more detailed breakdowns

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

current PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

1. Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050
  2. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050
  3. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

Ignore the those ms adverts for monitors. Only decent VA is top tier Samsung one, for TN or IPS you also would want to look at newer models if you want best clarity, ignoring OLED that is.

Definitley check reviews.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

If both are actually 0.5 ms, then it would be identical. But even 10 years ago, most gaming monitors were marketed as 1 ms, but in reality they were 10-15 ms or even slower. Response times on spec sheets actually don't mean anything.

Afaik there hasn't been a single TN, VA or IPS monitor that actually had 1 ms average response times in any review. And the only monitors that even come close cost close to $1000 either way. So at that point you should just go OLED.

The only actual <1 ms monitors currently on the market are all OLED.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.