I Can't Recommend the ROG Ally X

ASUS really sucks as a company right now, but the improvements to the ROG Ally handheld are undeniable. We can't recommend the Ally X until we see a massive overhaul in terms of customer and RMA support.

Also keep in mind longer term use reviews.

As the sd card and joystick issues started popping up a couple months after release and became so readily problematic asus added it to their warranty clause that they dont care about anyway to honour.

Also the fixes were temporary since well the sticks would fail again with people that got early replacements and the sd cards the same

This might be a hot take but i think if channels are not aloud to release numbers for a new product release they should just not make videos on them.

I hate it when Nvidia, Intel and AMD all have the embargoes for showing the product then a new 1 for showing numbers.

I get that if LTT doesn't make a video someone else still will i just think its really stupid all you are doing is helping to hype up the product but not saying anything that's really useful and when its an update to an existing product like this is even more stupid.

Is it just me or do you think Linus didn't go far enough with Asus?
Yes he didn't recommend and he did bring up the issues Asus is having but i think unless you watch The WAN Show you may not have herd Linus talk about the issues Asus is having at least not from Linus.

Im not sure what else Linus could have said to be honest and i don't think it will have any impact on Asus management to say the least but a channel with as much reach as LTT and for someone who stands up for the community should talk about it more.

I will also note its not just LTT i have watched other youtubers like Jay who will say things about brands not being good for the community and wonder why we don't hear more from them about the experiences they have had with brands.

This has turned into somewhat of a rant and i didn't intend it to, was just giving my thoughts i guess.

Why even release a video on something if you're not allowed to properly talk about it? Why even go ahead and make one where you dance around this restriction in such an ungraceful way? And lastly, why just cut in a "nope" when Asus isn't capable of owning up to their mistake instead of just dropping them entirely and refusing to work with them again until they get their shit together? There was a thread here a while back when the EK stuff was still fresh in memory of someone asking how you can justify still using Asus and EK parts after what came to light. At that time it was clear that you were still releasing videos that have been produced for a while, given that you inserted that disclaimer about EK in one of your videos. This one doesn't get the benefit of the doubt, given that you directly allude to the controversy in the text of the video. You can't have your cake and eat it. Advocate for consumer rights by refusing to use their parts in your videos, regardless of if they're sponsored, hardware reviews or even just using them in your random builds. For what it's worth, either use is advertising for Asus.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

If there is a video with not enough information for you as a consumer to make an informed purchasing decision that is ok.  It is entertainment! 

You are welcome to wait for more details, product testing, or long term reviews.  But there is no reason not to make a video for people to get excited about.  In fact it is an important part of marketing so that companies can plan. 

If you don't like it, that's fine, you are welcome to wait, skip the video or whatever, but maybe other people like it!

Maybe if it's not just LTT, maybe it's the reality of the business of content creation?  Perhaps some thought is required instead of constant critiques of youtube content creations strategies.

6 hours ago, Elijah Horner said:

ASUS really sucks as a company right now, but the improvements to the ROG Ally handheld are undeniable. We can't recommend the Ally X until we see a massive overhaul in terms of customer and RMA support.

heyo, 2:42 in the video the ssd say 2230Mhz and 2280Mhz, arent that the size in mm ?

I love this thumbnail; one of the better ones imo.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

Hardware wise seems like an upgrade over the original Ally in pretty much every way unless you own a XG Mobile. With the only 40-series XG Mobile being the expensive mobile 4090 and the onset of Thunderbolt 5 these will be a thing of the past.

Not much point in advertising and making viewers think that they "might need this product" when you know and admit that there's so many RMA issues.. It makes me feel like you somtimes prefer Asus instead of us tbh 👀

(The conclusion was well deserved for them though!)

This is bizzare:

a.) Asus doesn't allow benchmarks to be published

b.) Asus is fine with publishing close estimates

????

I guess the software isn't done and they don't want exact numbers but all of the * it's secret but we tested it and here is an estimate/prediction * is annoying/childish. Just allow the media to publish numbers with a big disclaimer that it is still under development and might change.

People never go out of business.

11 hours ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

This is bizzare:

a.) Asus doesn't allow benchmarks to be published

b.) Asus is fine with publishing close estimates

????

I guess the software isn't done and they don't want exact numbers but all of the * it's secret but we tested it and here is an estimate/prediction * is annoying/childish. Just allow the media to publish numbers with a big disclaimer that it is still under development and might change.

no one ever read a disclaimer. i notice this  more and more now.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC