Stability and temperature issues with 14900K

Posted (edited)

So Im in a bit of a dilemma here. I cant tame this 14900K for the life of me.
Specs:
14900K w/ 360 AIO & ThermalGrizzly Kryonaught Extreme
Asus Maximus Hero Z790
192 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5000MHz
nVidia 3090FE

I disabled ASUS Multicore enhancement, brought long and short duration limits to 250, even brought down my Preformance and Effecient core ratios down a bit aswell as some undervolting to -0.035v yet it still thermal throttles when running cinebench (if it even manages to run sometimes...bug report is attached).

On top of that ever since upgrading to this CPU from the 13900K (ik not that big of a jump for the price and hasstle) my Call of Duty would always crash in the loading screen and I could never understand why.

Are there any recommended motherboard settings I can try changing?

Edit: Also getting chrome & edge errors while in youtube and some other sites with absolutley no extentions and a fresh install of chrome...(STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION) (Screenshot below)

XTU.PNG

COD error.PNG

HW Monitor.PNG

_BugReport.txt

Chrome error.png

Edited by Andrew_s

I'm sure you are using a bending correction frame, right?

Upgrade BIOS to latest, reset it to defaults and see how it works without any tweaks.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 hours ago, johnt said:

I'm sure you are using a bending correction frame, right?

Yes indeed I am

3 hours ago, Bob_The_Builder said:

What does HW info say under load?

Just that it thermal throttles at times. Id show you but cinebench doesnt even want to run anymore. (I just noticed I forgot to upload the bug report).
But im more frustrated that I cant launch Cod at the moment without it just crashing all the time.

3 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Upgrade BIOS to latest, reset it to defaults and see how it works without any tweaks.

Bios is on the latest firmware. Tried with default settings and with slightly tweaked settings aswell still no luck.

I had the same issues with that game.

Enable “Intel Baseline Defaults profile” in your bios.

This has been wildly reported in the news it’s to do with I9 13th gen and 14th gen CPUs overclocked from factory due to motherboard manufacturers trying to make their boards look better in reviews.. Should fix the game and all your stability issues. It did for me.

35 minutes ago, Autisticewok said:

I had the same issues with that game.

Enable “Intel Baseline Defaults profile” in your bios.

This has been wildly reported in the news it’s to do with I9 13th gen and 14th gen CPUs overclocked from factory due to motherboard manufacturers trying to make their boards look better in reviews.. Should fix the game and all your stability issues. It did for me.

I was really hopefull that this would work as its the only thing I didnt try but sadly the game still crashes 😕

10 hours ago, Andrew_s said:

I was really hopefull that this would work as its the only thing I didnt try but sadly the game still crashes 😕

One thing to note is that ASUS's "Intel Baseline Profile" isn't actually a baseline profile. It's whatever settings they threw together, and there are a couple settings that Intel recommends you enable that they just don't enable out of the box. 

On my chip at least, the main thing that causes these crashes is if the AC loadline setting is set too low, which on a lot of motherborads it is out of the box, even on the Intel Baseline Profile. Raising that from the ~50 that it is by default to ~70-80 should fix the issue, even with unlocked power limits. 

If that doesn't fix it though, enable CEP. This setting makes it more or less impossible for the CPU to crash, though there are some performance regressions that come from having it enabled. This setting is in the Intel documentation that it should be enabled by default, yet it isn't even in the "Intel Baseline Profile."

try setting it to 307Ampere, PL1 to 125w and PL2 to 253W.  undervolt with 50 micro volt. 

Definitely don't undervolt until you get rid of any other causes of stability issues.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

One thing to note is that ASUS's "Intel Baseline Profile" isn't actually a baseline profile. It's whatever settings they threw together, and there are a couple settings that Intel recommends you enable that they just don't enable out of the box. 

On my chip at least, the main thing that causes these crashes is if the AC loadline setting is set too low, which on a lot of motherborads it is out of the box, even on the Intel Baseline Profile. Raising that from the ~50 that it is by default to ~70-80 should fix the issue, even with unlocked power limits. 

If that doesn't fix it though, enable CEP. This setting makes it more or less impossible for the CPU to crash, though there are some performance regressions that come from having it enabled. This setting is in the Intel documentation that it should be enabled by default, yet it isn't even in the "Intel Baseline Profile."

The only setting I can find in the bios that closely relates to that is “IA AC Load Line” and its max setting is 62.49 mOhms so I won’t be able to set it to the 70-80 that you were mentioning.

Also IA CEP and SA CEP were both already enabled.

2 hours ago, Andrew_s said:

The only setting I can find in the bios that closely relates to that is “IA AC Load Line” and its max setting is 62.49 mOhms so I won’t be able to set it to the 70-80 that you were mentioning.

Also IA CEP and SA CEP were both already enabled.

That is the setting I was referring to. I'm used to Gigabyte and MSI's way of labeling them, where they have each tick be 0.01 mΩ instead of 1mΩ like ASUS does. That 70-80 is actually 0.7-0.8mΩ. 

If CEP was already enabled though, you shouldn't be crashing at all it would just be lowering the clock speed internally until it's stable. I would be doing an RMA if CEP doesn't fix your issue. 

@RONOTHAN## Is right about Baseline Profiles. I believe there will be a new bios out around end of may that are the proper Intel defaults and not something the manufacturer has put together. 

If you can’t get it sorted you could log a case with Intel Customer Support. 
i am currently doing troubleshooting with them for a different issue with my 14900K where it thermal throttles well under TJMax100c. Not experienced a performance loss with this issue though.

6 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I would be doing an RMA if CEP doesn't fix your issue. 

I mean I have a couple 14900K's that I try in case it is just a bad CPU.
Ill give that a shot and update.

3 hours ago, Andrew_s said:

I mean I have a couple 14900K's that I try in case it is just a bad CPU.
Ill give that a shot and update.

Tried another 14900K I had and set all the limits mentioned above IA AC Loadline, CEP etc… still crashes. I thought maybe I had too much RAM so took out two sticks and left in 98GB… still crashes. Then I thought maybe it could possibly be a GPU issue so I swapped my 3090 out for a 4060ti I had around… still crashes. 

Might try throwing in a 13900k when I have the energy to keep going at this and see how that goes.. fingers crossed.

99% it's the mobo. The last 2 years Asus motherboards have hit a new low in build quality since the H55 era.  They tend to brick themselves quite often. My local dealer currently has 200+ Asus Z790 €800+ mobos RMA-ed in the last month alone. They will stop working with them from June when their contract expires. By far the worst brand of motherboad you can buy right now. Literally every other brand is better.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

This is apparent an issue with wattage draw and is an ASUS issue - I would manually set the voltages.

Buildzoid has pointed out how this isn’t a wattage issue per se but is a voltage issue. 

I would find the stock voltage settings, manually fix them to that value and then slowly reduce the voltage until you get stability.

edit; here 

re 

and he

https://youtu.be/UBAxbPTCXg4?si=C1YPxk3gr8ZmQN6N

On 5/12/2024 at 1:36 AM, QuantumSingularity said:

99% it's the mobo. The last 2 years Asus motherboards have hit a new low in build quality since the H55 era.  They tend to brick themselves quite often. My local dealer currently has 200+ Asus Z790 €800+ mobos RMA-ed in the last month alone. They will stop working with them from June when their contract expires. By far the worst brand of motherboad you can buy right now. Literally every other brand is better.

I had a feeling you were right…but I didn’t want to believe it bc I really wanted to justify having this mobo. Went to Best Buy and bought another new Z790 Maximus Hero to test out to see if my previous one was bad and everything still crashed on both default and tweaked bios settings mentioned above. So I threw in a MSI z690 pro-a DDR4 board I had around instead and started testing and…..it stopped crashing. No undervolting at all just a 253 watt pl1 and pl2 limit and that’s it. I read around somewhere that the crashing was due to the cpu running at above 5ghz but core ratios were left at default. Also forgot to mention this before, I ran Intels processor diagnostic tool across all of these mobos and on asus they’d always pass through everything until it fails on the prime number test….but it got a full pass on the MSI z690. So I guess just stay away from these Asus Z790s for now until the come up with a solution.

Maybe i am a bit bias, but what exactly about Asus is so attractive to the average user??? Yes, in the beginning the Hero lineup both Maximus and Crosshair was out their on its own, challenged probably only by the super high-end DFI mobos, but now every brand has a flagship tier that is actually better than the Asus. Yes, purely for OC-ing purposes the Asus boards have no competition in their ability to fry CPUs, but for everyday use even BIOSTAR now have mobos that are lining up to join the fight at the top-end.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

It has been proven that about 80% of those chips are defective at launch thus having massive stability problems. Intel was aware of this but launched them anyways.

@Andrew_s Do you have any updates on this? I find it strange that it was your motherboard specifically since these crashing issues are in the tech news and its all motherboard vendors affected. What happened in the end did you RMA the board?