I built my first computer 2 years ago and I have never updated my BIOS of my MSI motherboard. I read that you should not update your motherboard BIOS unless it is recommended by the manufacturer or when you've diagnosed a problem that it will fix. How do I know their is a problem that it will fix if on the manufacturers website it just gives generic and vague descriptions of what it will update, i.e update CPU microcode. But what in the microcode is it updating. Does anyone know how I can tell if the update is important and when it is fluff 

9 minutes ago, lizziemc12 said:

How do I know their is a problem that it will fix if on the manufacturers website it just gives generic and vague descriptions of what it will update

You don't. If you aren't encountering an issue with the BIOS though, that doesn't matter, and if you are encountering an issue, give a newer revision a shot to see if it's better. 

The only one that might genuinely be worth upgrading to no matter what is the security fixes if they affect your setup, things like Spectre and Meltdown, and these should be clearly labeled on the BIOS page. 

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

You don't. If you aren't encountering an issue with the BIOS though, that doesn't matter, and if you are encountering an issue, give a newer revision a shot to see if it's better. 

The only one that might genuinely be worth upgrading to no matter what is the security fixes if they affect your setup, things like Spectre and Meltdown, and these should be clearly labeled on the BIOS page. 

How do I know if I encounter an issue with my motherboard? What would I be looking for. 

1 minute ago, lizziemc12 said:

How do I know if I encounter an issue with my motherboard? What would I be looking for. 

If you have to ask if you're encountering issues, you're not encountering issues. They would be pretty obvious (things like XMP not working, performance not being what you'd expect, failing to boot in some instances, random crashes, etc.). 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you have to ask if you're encountering issues, you're not encountering issues. They would be pretty obvious (things like XMP not working, performance not being what you'd expect, failing to boot in some instances, random crashes, etc.). 

Their is one that says Update Intel Micro code for security vulnerabilities. Is this important?

Just now, lizziemc12 said:

Their is one that says Update Intel Micro code for security vulnerabilities. Is this important?

Maybe? What board is it and what update are you looking at specifically?

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Maybe? What board is it and what update are you looking at specifically?

My board is a MSI MAG Z590 TOMAHAWK WIFI. The update is

Title AMI BIOS

Version

7D08v25

Release Date

2022-04-20

Description:

- Update Intel Micro code for security vulnerabilities

2 minutes ago, lizziemc12 said:

My board is a MSI MAG Z590 TOMAHAWK WIFI. The update is

Title AMI BIOS

Version

7D08v25

Release Date

2022-04-20

Description:

- Update Intel Micro code for security vulnerabilities

Alright, so it probably is slightly important, though at the same time since they aren't listing what vulnerability it is, it's probably not that big a deal. I'd want to make sure you're at least on that version, but if you're already on something newer than that and everything is working, I wouldn't update past that. 

If you are on something older and are going to upgrade, just go to the latest BIOS. That one is usually the best (not always, but usually), so it would be the one actually worth updating to. 

How do I find out what bios I am currently using?

14 minutes ago, lizziemc12 said:

How do I find out what bios I am currently using?

You can do so either in the BIOS (it'll say in an about section or along the top of the screen) or with a tool like CPU-Z (it'll be in the mainboard tab).

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

You can do so either in the BIOS (it'll say in an about section or along the top of the screen) or with a tool like CPU-Z (it'll be in the mainboard tab).

CPU-Z says it's version 2.10 from 04/12/2021 but that doesn't match anything on the website from the version or the date. How do I know 

2 minutes ago, lizziemc12 said:

CPU-Z says it's version 2.10 from 04/12/2021 but that doesn't match anything on the website from the version or the date. How do I know 

Alright, that's version 7D08v21. MSI does their dates weird (pretty sure the BIOS itself has the build date, though the website has the date it passed QC), and the versions always line up weirdly. I would probably try to update to the newest because of that security issue, though I wouldn't worry about it too much. 

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Alright, that's version 7D08v21. MSI does their dates weird (pretty sure the BIOS itself has the build date, though the website has the date it passed QC), and the versions always line up weirdly. I would probably try to update to the newest because of that security issue, though I wouldn't worry about it too much. 

Thanks for your help and understanding. Would I just update to the version of the security vulnerabilities or to the most recent one available 

Just now, lizziemc12 said:

Thanks for your help and understanding. Would I just update to the version of the security vulnerabilities or to the most recent one available 

Go to the most recent one, since it's likely the best revision. 

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Go to the most recent one, since it's likely the best revision. 

Should I worry about updating it or because it's a generic description of the update should I not worry. Alo I think I did come across a problem but I don't know if it is a me problem or the motherboard problem, I had trouble using the thunderbolt port on the back of my motherboard and I thought it was me and not my cable but idk if it's a motherboard issue 

54 minutes ago, lizziemc12 said:

Should I worry about updating it or because it's a generic description of the update should I not worry.

I wouldn't worry about it. The description is always going to be fairly generic. 

54 minutes ago, lizziemc12 said:

Alo I think I did come across a problem but I don't know if it is a me problem or the motherboard problem, I had trouble using the thunderbolt port on the back of my motherboard and I thought it was me and not my cable but idk if it's a motherboard issue 

That motherboard doesn't have Thunderbolt (at least without an add in card), so that's the issue.

1 hour ago, lizziemc12 said:

Alo I think I did come across a problem but I don't know if it is a me problem or the motherboard problem, I had trouble using the thunderbolt port on the back of my motherboard and I thought it was me and not my cable but idk if it's a motherboard issue 

While Thunderbolt physically uses the USB Type-C port, that doesn't mean every USB Type-C port is also a Thunderbolt port (however, any Thunderbolt port should also support USB)

Your motherboard only supports USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) through its USB Type-C port, it is not a Thunderbolt port. That's not something a BIOS update can change/fix, since it physically lacks a Thunderbolt controller attached to the port.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply