High SoC temperature Ryzen 7 7800X3D

odre90

Hi Guys,

I've recently built a new rig and I am concerned about the CPU -  Ryzen 7 7800X3D temperature in idle.

Everything sits in NZXT H5 elite, with front fans pulling the air into the case, the mounted on top AIO (Master Liquid ML240L by Cooler Master (yeah, I know it is not the best one available)) throwing the air out of the case. 

As on the screenshot below, the temp in idle is about 50oC. The cores itself are rather cool, but the whole package and the SoC temps are quite high.
When running Cinebench R23, the cores average temp is about 80oC. The SoC temp doesn't change much. 
I know that Ryzen 7 7800X3D had some issues with SoC exploding in the past, but the BIOS in my motherboard (MSI B650M Gaming Plus Wifi) has been updated to the newest version. 

Do you guys think that I should return the CPU due to high SoC temps as it might suggest it is faulty, or accept the fact that this temp in my unit is high? 

screenshot_idle.png

screenshot_cinebenchr23_stress.png

No it's fine, you have one of the fastest gaming CPUs on the market, of course it'll be drawing some power, since the CPU is designed to perform tasks as fast as possible,

any small background task tasks the CPU to complete it, and since it's a fastest gaming CPU, it'll do it as fast as possible.

80°C on all core is good, and you won't reach very much close to that n gaming, or at least it won't go over than all cores since not all games use all cores.

15 minutes ago, odre90 said:

throwing the air out of the case. 

if you're interested, it might cool slightly lower as an intake, but not really by a lot more, it would be more effort than effect it produces.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

From the screenshot showing 1.3V SoC, I assume you have EXPO/XMP enabled. If so, the SoC temp is normal. Higher SoC voltage = higher SoC power draw = higher SoC temp + most motherboards will disable some of the SoC's power-saving features for better stability when a EXPO/XMP profile is loaded.

The temps look fine but you haven't given enough info. We don't know all your specs;  which fans, where and in or out; where the AIO mounted, etc. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

7 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

The temps look fine but you haven't given enough info. We don't know all your specs;  which fans, where and in or out; where the AIO mounted, etc. 

yes we have, 240mm AIO as exhaust:

4 hours ago, odre90 said:

(Master Liquid ML240L by Cooler Master (yeah, I know it is not the best one available)) throwing the air out of the case. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Looks warm for idle, X3D parts are some of the easiest to cool. Because by running one, you essentially turn your pc into a Dell.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

5 hours ago, podkall said:

yes we have, 240mm AIO as exhaust:

We have what? I already knew the AIO - that's hardly all of their specs.

4 hours ago, freeagent said:

Looks warm for idle, X3D parts are some of the easiest to cool. Because by running one, you essentially turn your pc into a Dell.

Unless the OP has a hotbox and poor airflow...?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

8 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

We have what? I already knew the AIO - that's hardly all of their specs.

whatever, I mean it's clearly doing something even when idle:

image.png.a98e47725418d6a7aeec1afc14fd9924.png

PC:

PCs I used before:

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

If he is exhausting out of his AIO, then yes, it would be less than ideal.

2 hours ago, podkall said:

whatever, I mean it's clearly doing something even when idle:

image.png.a98e47725418d6a7aeec1afc14fd9924.png

Yes, clearly. But we don't know ambient. If ambient is 30, those temps are amazing. If ambient is 15, those temps are a bit high. We just don't have enough information to say without doubt that they couldn't do better.

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

If he is exhausting out of his AIO, then yes, it would be less than ideal.

Depending on where it's mounted, yes. Top and side it's better to exhaust. Front it's better to intake. YMMV. 😉

46 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Depending on where it's mounted, yes. Top and side it's better to exhaust. Front it's better to intake. YMMV. 😉

I have done these experiments before. I never exhaust out of the top because I do not want the fans to pull all of the warm system and GPU air through it, warming all my other stuff up in the process. If you just use your system at stock and play games, then who cares. But if you are chasing every C you can for whatever benchmark you are running, there are better ways to setup a system.

49 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Yes, clearly. But we don't know ambient. If ambient is 30, those temps are amazing.

You can tell by his core temps that he is not looking at a high ambient. His cooling just is not very good. 

2 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I have done these experiments before. I never exhaust out of the top because I do not want the fans to pull all of the warm system and GPU air through it, warming all my other stuff up in the process. If you just use your system at stock and play games, then who cares. But if you are chasing every C you can for whatever benchmark you are running, there are better ways to setup a system.

Agreed.

3 minutes ago, freeagent said:

You can tell by his core temps that he is not looking at a high ambient. His cooling just is not very good. 

Please explain how you figured that out. I mean, that was my assumption, but I've learned what "assume" means, so I prefer to be a bit cautious. 😉  If I have to guess, I'd say his ambient is low to mid 20s.

17 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Please explain how you figured that out

I will let you see a little into my world. I have been folding with my GPU, so I need some airflow through my chassis.. don't worry, it isn't loud, I could sleep on the couch no problem 😄

But I loaded my CPU up too. Granted, he does have 500MHz on me, but in the grand scheme of things, it really isn't that much. Also, I made sure that my CPU would achieve maximum load, while he was just running a game.

Screenshot2024-05-05192647.thumb.png.c3f5150cbd9d4ae24c2dc150fec10a3a.png

7 hours ago, freeagent said:

I will let you see a little into my world. I have been folding with my GPU, so I need some airflow through my chassis.. don't worry, it isn't loud, I could sleep on the couch no problem 😄

But I loaded my CPU up too. Granted, he does have 500MHz on me, but in the grand scheme of things, it really isn't that much. Also, I made sure that my CPU would achieve maximum load, while he was just running a game.

Screenshot2024-05-05192647.thumb.png.c3f5150cbd9d4ae24c2dc150fec10a3a.png

So what'd you set your A/C to, -5? 😉

Now can you explain how you knew from his results? Is my estimate close?

No AC. X3D is easy to cool..

If he had a 30c ambient his core temps would be as low as they were at idle.

I don’t know what his ambient is, but it isn’t high

Hi guys,

The ambient at the time I sent the screenshots was quite high, about 25oC (it has been some really hot days in Poland). I did some playing (mainly Witcher 3, CS:GO and Dishonored 2)  in the meanwhile, with HWinfo running in the background. From what I could have seen, during the long gaming sessions, CPU temp averages on about 60oC, there are some spikes and dips but when it comes to the temps when CPU is more loaded - these are fine for me, even during the stress test, when CPU hits 85oC - I suppose this is okay, regarding my rather weak AIO. 

The only concern of mine is the temperature in the idle, even though the cores are running rather cool (about 30oC or even less), the whole package sits at about 50oC... Today's ambient is "only" 18oC, and temperatures are pretty much the same as on the day I've submitted my post.

On 5/5/2024 at 3:24 PM, A_DeafMute said:

From the screenshot showing 1.3V SoC, I assume you have EXPO/XMP enabled. If so, the SoC temp is normal. Higher SoC voltage = higher SoC power draw = higher SoC temp + most motherboards will disable some of the SoC's power-saving features for better stability when a EXPO/XMP profile is loaded.

I will try going this path. I, in fact, have the EXPO enabled, therefore the SoC voltage stays at 1.3V - maybe that's the cause of high SoC temp and therefore the high temp of CPU in idle. 

I figured it was around 18 or so. Well.. 19-20.

2 hours ago, freeagent said:

I figured it was around 18 or so. Well.. 19-20.

Hot dog, my guess was good enough!

2 hours ago, odre90 said:

The only concern of mine is the temperature in the idle, even though the cores are running rather cool (about 30oC or even less), the whole package sits at about 50oC... Today's ambient is "only" 18oC, and temperatures are pretty much the same as on the day I've submitted my post.

You have nothing to worry about. Based on what you've told us all is well. 

6 hours ago, odre90 said:

the whole package sits at about 50oC...

I'm pretty sure that HWMonitors "Package" temp is actually known as Tctl/Tdie, and from what I remember it's supposed to be the hotspot of the entire CPU (can't remember if it includes the IODie temp) and it's also supposed to be used for fan control (hence the Tctl)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for everyone's responses. I was able to decrease the SoC temperature by decreasing the voltage. I've got around 40oC now in idle. The system stability seems unchanged, I did some synthetic stress test, did some gaming - nothing has crashed on me so far so I guess I will leave it that way.

Thanks everyone 🙂