Overwatch 2 Screen Tearing but full capped 164 frames.

I reacently upgraded my PC yesterday. The new CPU I have which is a Ryzen 9 7900X3D and I have a new motherboard. I was testing games yesterday and for some reason in Overwatch it defaults my GPU to the integrated graphics in my CPU. What's wierd is that I was achieving 164 frames but there's so much screen tearing and it didn't feel smooth. The fps doesn't drop at all and it's not stuttering it just feels unsmooth. However apparently you can disable the integrated graphics on device manager and I disabled it and the game does switch to my main GPU according in game settings it says my GPU's name. But it felt like the exact same just screen tearing and unsmoothness. I'm guessing the game is still using my integrated GPU somehow. It's dumb that this indie game company can't even add a simple setting what display adapter ur using. I did change my motherboard and it was a TUF gaming b450 plus am4 socket motherboard and my old CPU was a Ryzen 7 5800x. My new motherboard is now a MSI PRO B650-P WIFI AM5 AMD B650. I tried everything I could to fix this screen tearing and unsmoothness it even screen tears on the menu of the game. Any fixes?

I know it's a silly suggestion, but have you plug the DP/HDMI cable from motherboard instead of the GPU?

Seems that is the reason why the system insists on using iGPU instead of your dedicated GPU

If not, you could try to DDU your GPU driver or nuke your Windows OS to a fresh new install since sometimes it isn't adapt to new CPU and mobo's upgrade

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

22 minutes ago, Erboon said:

this indie game company

We *are* talking about Overwatch 2, right? The massive hero shooter from Blizzard which is owned by BlizzardActivisionKing which is (now) owned by Microsoft? 
Or is there some other game? 

Anyways, What happens if you cap it at 60FPS? I know it's not a long term solution, but it's valuable troubleshooting info

ETA:

17 minutes ago, WannaMurderMicrosoft said:

I wouldn't call Overwatch indie.

Very apropos username you got there 😉

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

46 minutes ago, WannaMurderMicrosoft said:

I wouldn't call Overwatch indie. Try to disable IGPU in BIOS.

That's a good idea I will try that! I was just joking that they are indie lol.

2 hours ago, ImWilly said:

I know it's a silly suggestion, but have you plug the DP/HDMI cable from motherboard instead of the GPU?

Seems that is the reason why the system insists on using iGPU instead of your dedicated GPU

If not, you could try to DDU your GPU driver or nuke your Windows OS to a fresh new install since sometimes it isn't adapt to new CPU and mobo's upgrade

That's what I was thinking honestly.  I think a fresh install would solve the problem because I tried everything in my power to get it running normally. But lol I do have my dp plugged my GPU. I'll try disabling the iGPU in BIOS and see if that solves it. If not I'm gonna go Kim style. 🚀

2 hours ago, OddOod said:

We *are* talking about Overwatch 2, right? The massive hero shooter from Blizzard which is owned by BlizzardActivisionKing which is (now) owned by Microsoft? 
Or is there some other game? 

Anyways, What happens if you cap it at 60FPS? I know it's not a long term solution, but it's valuable troubleshooting info

ETA:

Very apropos username you got there 😉

Yes we are talking about massive multiplayer shooter. I was just joking that they are an "indie" company because sometimes they make horrible choices lol. But I did cap at 60 to see if it would make any difference and it's like the same. Like the frames aren't fluctuating or anything. It doesn't feel smooth at all. I think that's called frame timing right? And I have freesync enabled and it's tearing like crazy. It even tears in the menus! Lol.

Also have in mind that overwatch for some reason recompiles shaders every time it runs. For me at least. And I have changed all my hardware and reinstalled it many times and every time the same @#$%. So expect at the first minutes to have very bad performance. If you have the same problem I can tell you that with the SMT enabled it compiles it considerably faster. That's actually the only game that have given me a reason to have SMT enabled so far. What I do is going to practice mode and waiting for a few minutes, having bad fps, frame drops and everything, until my fps stabilizes at 320 and then I go play!

2 hours ago, Erboon said:

I did cap at 60 to see if it would make any difference and it's like the same. Like the frames aren't fluctuating or anything. It doesn't feel smooth at all. I think that's called frame timing right? And I have freesync enabled and it's tearing like crazy. It even tears in the menus! Lol.

That is very strange. How much have you fiddled with settings? I believe VRR has to be enabled in several places, but also try with it off as well. 
Also, what GPU do you have? Can you look at FrameView while you play?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

34 minutes ago, OddOod said:

That is very strange. How much have you fiddled with settings? I believe VRR has to be enabled in several places, but also try with it off as well. 
Also, what GPU do you have? Can you look at FrameView while you play?

Sorry for not specificing. I have a Radeon RX 6800 XT, and yes, I do have freesync enabled. Before changing the CPU and motherboard, I had no issues at all. But now it's doing this crap and it keeps going to my integrated graphics in my cpu. But I disabled it for a bit on device manager so it goes to my main GPU. But the peformance was exact same full capped 164 frames but a lot of screen tearing and it's not smooth.

3 hours ago, WannaMurderMicrosoft said:

Also have in mind that overwatch for some reason recompiles shaders every time it runs. For me at least. And I have changed all my hardware and reinstalled it many times and every time the same @#$%. So expect at the first minutes to have very bad performance. If you have the same problem I can tell you that with the SMT enabled it compiles it considerably faster. That's actually the only game that have given me a reason to have SMT enabled so far. What I do is going to practice mode and waiting for a few minutes, having bad fps, frame drops and everything, until my fps stabilizes at 320 and then I go play!

Oh really? That could be it. I don't know too much about SMT but is it enabled on by default? Can that cause screen tearing even in 164 capped fps?

Yeah it's enabled by default. You can also see it in task manager at performance tab. Did you wait for a few minutes? I don't play overwatch with freesync and you shouldn't have vsync enabled neither. Set the frame cap way higher than your monitor's refresh rate and disable freesync. With freesync disabled I can also have "motion blur reduction" in my monitor.