Will the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional Headphones need a amp & general question?

HueyTheGod

Hey guys! I am new to headphones, mainly a hardware and software guy and not an audio freak, but I am looking to get myself a good pair of headphones to listen to music (dubstep and other base heavy things mainly), play games on (not a freak about that so much), and use with my phone on the go. I might also use them with an external microphone to record video's in the future, but that is pretty irrelevant? 

Anyways, I have decided that I should go for the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional Headphones for $169.99. I want the x version because the detachable cable seems worth it to me, but I might not get the x version since the 2 are basically the same from what I hear. Should I get these, or go for another pair that you recommend? Folding up would be great. 

Next question: Would the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional Headphones need an amp to gain more quality? If so, what amp do you recommend? I don't want to spend more than $100 on some amp though -_-

My dream build is a watercooled 450D or 750D with a i7-4930k and 2 780 Ti's in SLI. My realistic build is a $1500 budget build. 

I need a job.

Have you set your mind on the M50x? It's not a bad headphone, just kinda overpriced. 

The CHC Silverados are on sale on Amazon, for $50 (from $200). Good reviews about these. Other than that, Sony XB500 sounds good, great bass, good soundstage for a closed back (certainly better soundstage than the M50)

BTW, M50 shouldn't need an amp to make it work properly. A lot of people use amps for easy-to-drive headphones, to get the pleasant sound coloration of the amps, though....

I haven't set my mind on anything, but basically what I want is something that naturally goes over the ear, looks average or better (not like a mad scientist looking headphone) and average to great sound cancelling. Attachable cord is a plus. 

My dream build is a watercooled 450D or 750D with a i7-4930k and 2 780 Ti's in SLI. My realistic build is a $1500 budget build. 

I need a job.

Those Sony XB500's look great! They have a load of reviews as well! Black is my preferred color as well, so that is nice. The only thing that bugs me with them is that they don't look like that are over the ear as much as sit on the ear with the nice padding....

I need a job.

Those Sony XB500's look great! They have a load of reviews as well! Black is my preferred color as well, so that is nice. The only thing that bugs me with them is that they don't look like that are over the ear as much as sit on the ear with the nice padding....

I'm telling you the CHC Silverados are much better. 

this thread is reminding me of the hammerforumusa.com joke from a while back:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/hammerforum-com

btw, OP, you don't need an amp for the ATH M50x.  Personally, I like them a lot and I use them when I travel quite a bit along with my Beyer COPs.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I'm telling you the CHC Silverados are much better. 

I don't like the look of them. And besides, you are the only person recommending them. I am looking for the generally liked headphones here.

I need a job.

HueyTheGod, on 25 May 2014 - 11:44 PM, said:

I don't like the look of them. And besides, you are the only person recommending them. I am looking for the generally liked headphones here.

The looks should be the least of your concern when getting a headphone. It's going to be on your head most of the time,unless you buy them just for display. Why settle for a generally liked headphones and follow the bandwagon when there are other good but not so famous ones out there. Go read ShearMe's review of the CHC Silverado. Link is in his siggy

Actually the silverado is a good piece of headphone. Read the review on shearme's signature. Having it on sale, just 1/3 of the price of the XB500 is actually unbelievable. I'm sold just at the design and materials. I mean come on, full metal cups, leather headband, even a semi-hardcase carrying bag. What other $50 headphones could beat all that? I'd get it in a heartbeat, if only they're willing to ship overseas (which they aren't)

The looks should be the least of your concern when getting a headphone. It's going to be on your head most of the time,unless you buy them just for display. Why settle for a generally liked headphones and follow the bandwagon when there are other good but not so famous ones out there. Go read ShearMe's review of the CHC Silverado. Link is in his siggy

Well, they are more circular looking and seem like they would sit on my ears more than go over them. Will check out the review now though.

I need a job.

Ok I just quickly read his review on them, and they do look a lot better in that picture than the Amazon one and his review said, quoting "...it sounds FUCKING FANTASTIC". I guess these are a good pair to choose. How is the base in them though, considering he said they were for rock & roll.

I need a job.

creatip123, on 26 May 2014 - 12:04 AM, said:

Actually the silverado is a good piece of headphone. Read the review on shearme's signature. Having it on sale, just 1/3 of the price of the XB500 is actually unbelievable. I'm sold just at the design and materials. I mean come on, full metal cups, leather headband, even a semi-hardcase carrying bag. What other $50 headphones could beat all that? I'd get it in a heartbeat, if only they're willing to ship overseas (which they aren't)

Can't find it here in Malaysia too. It's only $50 god damnit.. :(

It really bugs me how it is different prices in different places :/ 

I need a job.

There should be some kind of a massdrop specially for Asian region. We need more people in this region!!!

It really bugs me how it is different prices in different places :/ 

They are actually tagged at $200. I think it's because they're doing some kind of advertising campaign, that it's 75% off. 

There should be some kind of a massdrop specially for Asian region. We need more people in this region!!!

They are actually tagged at $200. I think it's because they're doing some kind of advertising campaign, that it's 75% off. 

Hahahah goes to show it cost $10 to manufacture and then they multiply that initial cost by 20 and sell it.

I need a job.

Hahahah goes to show it cost $10 to manufacture and then they multiply that initial cost by 20 and sell it.

Or....maybe because they are doing an advertising campaign. They are considered a new brand, trying to compete nationally with the old gigantic names, like Senn, Audio Technica, Grado, Shure, AKG, etc. Maybe that's why they're willing to sell it at an impossible price (maybe even under manufacturing cost), for a limited time, to get their products 'out there', so more people will know about them. 

I mean, let's talk some sense here, just from the materials alone:

Silverado-Construction.jpg

- Die cast full metal cups and hinges

- Leather earcups + stitched leather headband

- Dual detachable cables

Silverado-packaging.jpg

- Comes with a semi-hardcase full size leather covered carrying case

Still not accounting:

- The inside materials + electronics

- Overhead costs, including human labors

If you think you can produce one with all the above elements in $10, then by all means, start your own headphone company then. I'm serious, you'll make a crazy fortune, because there are still a lot of people like me out there, who think $50 is insane price for something like that. Just a rough guess, I'd say it's worth at the very least $150 (haven't heard the sound yet. If it really sounds as good as the reviews, I'd add another $50-$100). So just imagine the fortune you'll get, selling $10 stuff at $150+ price tag....

I was just recently in your position. I was looking at the ath-m50's think that I was almost set on them. I looked at so many companies: AKG, sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Beyrdynamic, Grado, Shure, Sony and many more. I then came on the forums and discovered the CHC silverado's. They look great and they sound amazing. Being that CHC is a small startup company they probably put a lot of work into them. They want their customers to love their product and tell their friends. And this is what im doing right now. Please I ask of you for $50 find me a better pair of headphones. They retail $200. I highly suggest them, don't pay triple for a equivalent or even lesser product. 

this thread is reminding me of the hammerforumusa.com joke from a while back:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/hammerforum-com

Everything looks like a nail when all you've got is a hamemr

I was just recently in your position. I was looking at the ath-m50's think that I was almost set on them. I looked at so many companies: AKG, sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Beyrdynamic, Grado, Shure, Sony and many more. I then came on the forums and discovered the CHC silverado's. They look great and they sound amazing. Being that CHC is a small startup company they probably put a lot of work into them. They want their customers to love their product and tell their friends. And this is what im doing right now. Please I ask of you for $50 find me a better pair of headphones. They retail $200. I highly suggest them, don't pay triple for a equivalent or even lesser product. 

It looks like I will be getting these! Do you know how long they will be on sale? 

I need a job.

Anyone? I need to know.

I need a job.