Hard drive health is at 9% on HDD sentinel?

Hi I've had this hard drive for about 6 years now. Ive only used it for about 2 years in my old main pc and it has about 500 power on hours. I ran hard disk sentinel today and it seems to think it has issues. Im getting great transfer speeds though and its not making any weird noises or doing anything that would make me think its failing. It says "performance 100%" and "health 9%". I have a new drive coming because that doesnt sound good. Is it probably fine to continue using for a few days?

Im confused why its so low health because the speeds are great and its not making any odd sounds. It says 5016 bad sectors and 70 errors occured during data transfer. Estimated remaining life 10 days. Ive hardly used it in over 4 years. Thanks

3 minutes ago, Britishblue said:

Im confused why its so low health

Need to look into the individual SMART values.

3 minutes ago, Britishblue said:

It says 5016 bad sectors

That'll be a good part of it, that's bad.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Can you show a screenshot of the errors it reports?

Those bad sectors don't seem optimal, and errors during transfer probably means CRC errors which is often a bad cable.

Shock is the number one enemy.

If you've got important data one that drive it would be wise to stop using it until you can back it up.

It seems possible to me though the problem is the recorded data faded over time without usage and that triggered the bad health.

So that a format would restore the health. (If you haven't done that recently)

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

34 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you show a screenshot of the errors it reports?

Those bad sectors don't seem optimal, and errors during transfer probably means CRC errors which is often a bad cable.

image.thumb.png.169a385cd231f4520e816358125531cc.png

Thanks for the reply. Heres what it says. Its the ubuntu version so theres not as much info

Yeah, make sure any important data on it is backed up somewhere else (as should always be, but more so when there are such failure signs).

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

In almost all cases, a bunch of bad sectors marks the beginning of the end for a HDD. The amount of bad sectors should be zero. A few to maybe a dozen is possible after several years and not an immediate concern. 5000+ is really bad - your drive is straight up dying.

6 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

In almost all cases, a bunch of bad sectors marks the beginning of the end for a HDD. The amount of bad sectors should be zero. A few to maybe a dozen is possible after several years and not an immediate concern. 5000+ is really bad - your drive is straight up dying.

Thanks I will be moving everything off it very soon.