BOINC Pentathlon 2024

Let me see if I can find some more senior CPUs to blindly swing their canes at NFS...

three-blind-mice-blind.gif

CPU Intel i7-7700 | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 | Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270F Gaming | RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 3.6GHz 32GB | GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming |

Case Fractal Design Define R5 | Storage Samsung 980 PRO 500GB, Samsung 970 EVO+ "v2" 2TB | PSU Corsair RM850x 2021 | Display ASUS VP247QG + Samsung SyncMaster T220 | OS Garuda Linux

Said it we should have started on NFS earlier yesterday... since today would be the first bonus day the earlier we're done with NFS the better, but now it'll take all day, and if we don't make it it's alll for nothing and we have to repeat

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

27 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Said it we should have started on NFS earlier yesterday... since today would be the first bonus day the earlier we're done with NFS the better, but now it'll take all day, and if we don't make it it's alll for nothing and we have to repeat

I think we'll be fine, our MW hourly hasn't dropped by much and I've been on NFS for a while. I switched over my Linux systems few hours before the start, that 700k bump is when I released what I had.

Looking over my systems now though, I was expecting higher hourly than what we have been getting.

My minor bunkers have been released.  I will say that it very much appears as if MW has had other folks drop bunkers today.  So bunkering there is still worthwhile after bonus fall off, even if not as effective as it normally is.  Unfortunately I still can't get my computer to grab more than a couple hours of WU at a time for it anymore.  😞

4 hours ago, Baha said:

Is it possible to configure boinc to report results more often? I have no limits on network usage configured, but all of my machines are holding onto a number of hours worth of completed work at a time before automatically submitting, which makes my throughput much more erratic.

If they haven't changed it, there is a config file way to "report results immediately". Projects can also influence it. Most projects probably don't do that to reduce server connection load. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Eureka I've found it!  In the project specific preferences for MW they have a drop down for maximum number of tasks.  For some reason it was set to the same as max thread count.  This was overriding the amount of time to buffer setting.

Reporting back on this from a few days ago: On a 12900H, it is about 40% better to run 1 task at a time using only the P-cores, compared to running 2 tasks at a time using all cores.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

We are now 37.21% of the way to the stopping point on NFS. Problem is that SG are basically at their stopping point already so should be switching back to MW any minute now.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

36 minutes ago, justpoet said:

Eureka I've found it!  In the project specific preferences for MW they have a drop down for maximum number of tasks.  For some reason it was set to the same as max thread count.  This was overriding the amount of time to buffer setting.

Thanks for that, was wondering why I couldn't get more than 10-16 tasks per machine.  Grabbed over 100 now, though staying on Jav till we hit our goal.  I guess not enough bunkering happened for this throw.

1 minute ago, Justaphf said:

Thanks for that, was wondering why I couldn't get more than 10-16 tasks per machine.  Grabbed over 100 now, though staying on Jav till we hit our goal.  I guess not enough bunkering happened for this throw.

Yeah, Jav looks like it needs some serious help or we wasted time doing this throw and will have to do the next.  I have my one system that can MW doing it and the others doing Jav....but I'm definitely in the geriatric CPU category there.  LOL

we pretty much have no choice but to do this jav, or we might miss the next bonus day for steeplechase

My Folding Stats

Current Rigs

Raspberry Pi 5 8GB, Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, Raspberry Pi 3, Raspberry Pi Zero W, Raspberry Pi Zero...I like Pi

Fractal North,ASRock Riptide B550, Ryzen 7 5700X, 6700XT with custom CPU/GPU loop.

The validation delay on some of these projects is insane. Apparently, I managed to earn 2k points on Ramanujan yesterday enough though the city run ended 3 days earlier.

18 minutes ago, HoldSquat said:

we pretty much have no choice but to do this jav, or we might miss the next bonus day for steeplechase

Problem is that (assuming the obstacle days are random) there is only a 1 in 6 chance that tomorrow (day 5 of jav) has a higher scoring bonus than today. There is like a 2 in 3 chance that today is the best remaining day to do MW.

Admittly, if the bonus days arn't random, then my maths dosn't hold and were into the realm of psychology.

But we've started now, and swapping to day 5 would mean all jav work today was wasted...

He/Him

7 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

Problem is that (assuming the obstacle days are random) there is only a 1 in 8 chance that tomorrow (day 5 of jav) has a higher scoring bonus than today.

There are only 2 more steeplechase days after today, so 1 chance in 2 the 2nd bonus day is tomorrow...

I'd speculate they leave it for the last, but we won't know until tomorrow...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

6 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

The validation delay on some of these projects is insane. Apparently, I managed to earn 2k points on Ramanujan yesterday enough though the city run ended 3 days earlier.

Problem is that (assuming the obstacle days are random) there is only a 1 in 8 chance that tomorrow (day 5 of jav) has a higher scoring bonus than today. There is like a 3 in 4 chance that today is the best remaining day to do MW.

Admittly, if the bonus days arn't random, then my maths dosn't hold and were into the realm of psychology.

It is more that if we don't make it, and have to throw again, we've wasted a bunch of bunkering time already, making sure people would have to miss even more MW to bunker for the next throw.  In almost every scenario other than no more bonuses for MW, getting this throw to the threshold is the strategically better choice.

21 minutes ago, justpoet said:

I have my one system that can MW doing it and the others doing Jav....

We need everything we can on jav, we've got 3.3M to go, currently 200k/hour, that's 16.5h, which is essentially the hours left in the day

...or give up now and prepare for tomorrow, doing what we should have done yesterday

On 5/14/2024 at 3:36 PM, leadeater said:

We do however need to bunker NFS 12 to 16 hours out from the start of the next throw.

but then he changed it to say not to 😄

F@H

GPD Win 2

15 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

There are only 2 more steeplechase days after today, so 1 chance in 2 the 2nd bonus day is tomorrow...

I'd speculate they leave it for the last, but we won't know until tomorrow...

yes, but after they decide which day, they also have to decide the size of the bonus (20%, 30%, or 50%). Today, we got a 30%. The only way tomorrow can be more important to MW than today is if they choose it to be the bonus day (1 in 2) and they choose the bonus to be 50% (1 in 3), which means that if these bonus days are random, there is only a 1 in 6 chance that today was the right day to throw.

14 minutes ago, justpoet said:

It is more that if we don't make it, and have to throw again, we've wasted a bunch of bunkering time already, making sure people would have to miss even more MW to bunker for the next throw.  In almost every scenario other than no more bonuses for MW, getting this throw to the threshold is the strategically better choice.

But @justpoet is right, now we've started the throw, we can't stop.

He/Him

41.78% of throw complete

Our current throw garentees us 7th

We need a throw of 2,315,301 for 6th

We need a throw of 4,179,395 for 5th

We need a throw of 5,261,595 for 4th

He/Him

I've left the client running at home and got up to nearly 80k points on that Ramanujam machine

What's the deal with the next projects, where should I move .... i guess steeplechase because javelin should be done by now 

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

but then he changed it to say not to 😄

I said I  wouldn't because I knew I could generate a decent amount on the day, not everyone else not to 🙃

1 hour ago, will0hlep said:

which means that if these bonus days are random, there is only a 1 in 6 chance that today was the right day to throw.

Problem is we didn't know leading up that today was going to be a bonus day either. Main issue was that bunkering MW was more effective than it sounded like it would be and in either case we would have had to choose to bunker NFS or MW and at the time NFS was the correct choice, problem being not enough actually did so 🙃

The absolute correct thing to have done was to bunker 5.8m NFS the day before, release and then spend the next 23 hours on MW (takes about an hour for me to get my NFS queue uploaded).

21 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I've left the client running at home and got up to nearly 80k points on that Ramanujam machine

What's the deal with the next projects, where should I move .... i guess steeplechase because javelin should be done by now 

We still need javelin throw atm. Switch everything to that.

He/Him

To make up for the above I'm going to provision 11 more dual Xeon 5118 servers to do NFS, they can only do today/tonight (10 hours ish) however

Edit: 

Done, all added

Well, I got it working..  I'll stop ramujan when it's done in around 20 minutes when it's done with most units. Hopefully nfs at home will auto increase the threads.

image.thumb.png.0467bdba6b9940592296515d91ebd77f.png

Looks like HardOCP is aiming to validate their first 4.77M score instead of the 2nd 5.26M and not do tomorrow since they've basically stopped, thus saving us from having to push >5M

F@H

GPD Win 2