VGA vs HDMI

Lairlair

Hi all,

So I have a projector hooked up to a small PC's onboard graphics (intel i3 4th gen) with a vga cable, and it does the job. But the other day I noticed that some subtitles were a bit blurry, which they shouldn't be on a full HD video (of course I made sure the lens was in focus and it was the best I could get it)

Hence the question: Is the VGA connection a potential weak link? Would I get a crisper image if I added a little graphics card and connected the projector via HDMI?

Absolutely VGA is garbage. Simply using a digital signal will make a noticeable impact.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Okay, there's also an onboard DVI port, so probably an adapter is a better investment than a small GPU?

This completely depends on the specs of the projector. What's it's max res, and is it actually set to said max res?

Max resolution is full HD, which it is set at

2 minutes ago, whispous said:

This completely depends on the specs of the projector. What's it's max res, and is it actually set to said max res?

It doesnt. VGA is extremely susceptible to analog signal interference. Digital signals like from DP, HDMI and DVI will looks MUCH more crispy.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 hour ago, Levent said:

It doesnt. VGA is extremely susceptible to analog signal interference. Digital signals like from DP, HDMI and DVI will looks MUCH more crispy.

Stop giving me flashbacks of going through dozens of VGA cables to try to find the one with the least ghosting.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

VGA is analogue signal ... the longer the cable, the weaker the signals,  so the image can get more blurry.

To see if the VGA cable is the problem, switch to a lower resolution like 1280x720 or something like that. The lower the resolution, the more "time" each pixel color information sits on the wires, so the more time the project has to read the analogue voltage levels and determine the right amount of color information for each pixel, and also the harder it is for external signals to influence the voltage levels on the cable.

HDMI or DVI-D (digital) are digital signals, basically a series of 1s and 0s - the digital signals are harder to alter or corrupt but there are limitations as in the maximum length of a cable before you may have to use signal amplifiers/repeaters

5 hours ago, Lairlair said:

...small PC's onboard graphics (intel i3 4th gen) with a vga cable...

Has it ever been hooked up to a regular display? Was text also blurry?

So I have a projector...

Has the projector ever been used with another computer over HDMI? Was text blurry?

...on a full HD video...

Do you have the video file in storage, or is said video from a streaming service like Netflix?

If you open a plain text document, is the projected text also blurry?