windows vm at 100 percent cpu usage

I just setup a windows 10 vm so I could install adobe's premiere to convert a project file to an xml. But even with only Firefox and task manager open this is

my stats.

I could be wrong but I don't think that this is good.

20240419_193949.jpg

I think it has two cores but I don't think it has a performance limit other than that.

What CPU? Verify how many cores you allowed to the VM. What was running in Task Manager on the VM? 

I dont know about what cpu it is but it was set to 2 vCPUs and when I checked task manager the only process that windows wasn't runing where task manager and firefox and possibly at the time the installer for premiere.

I have increased the vCPUs count to 3 to see if that will help. I can't go higher than that because my brother @Minecraftchest1 who has vms running on the server (a local machine) needs the performance for other vms he has running.

Adding the third vCPU made it so it took until premiere started installing to hit 100% usage. My only question now is whay my HDD utilization is at 100%.

1 hour ago, Minecraftchest2 said:

Adding the third vCPU made it so it took until premiere started installing to hit 100% usage. My only question now is whay my HDD utilization is at 100%.

You need to see what is using the CPU, go to the processes.

As for the HDD, in a VM windows never reports usage correctly. As it never gets a real good idea of the speed of the drive. What you should check is what speed is the process using on the HDD, and then check what the max is for the drive it self. So a mechnical drive gets 100mbs (most cases about 20% more just easier for math here). So if the process is using 100mbs, then it really is maxed out. If its using like 50mbs, then you know there is more head room and something is not right.

I keep saying Process, vs. the whole machine as you already know the whole machine usage, now its time to troubleshoot and see what is using the 100%.