Can my am5 unsupported cpu cooler physically damage my pc and is my cpu temps bad and is it cause i installed unsupported cpu cooler hyper 212x?

Go to solution Solved by TatamiMatt,
Just now, EzioWar said:

i aplied Arctic MX-4 thermal paste properly

With that ambient temp and running cinebench for 10 mins to almost hit 95C youre more than fine, have you applied a PBO offset curve?

Hi, my  MOBO-Gigabyte B650M DS3H, bios version FA4,cpu ryzen5 7600,cpu cooler-Hyper 212X , gpu - Asrock AMD rx 7800xt challenger oc,

everything is on default in bios. i just enabled expo. so hyper 212x cooler not officially supported with AM5 but i made following adjustments manually to make it fit to my AM5 socket-

this is the X holder of the cooler which holds the heatsink on the socket -image.thumb.png.aa8e8d4f8cb26ddd05e214e01568ec4f.png

it should hold the cooler like this-  image.thumb.png.23d527421bd790648c6d23dc7e33fec4.png

But the issue was with AM5 that we cant install the coolers seperate backplate behind the mobo cause we cant remove the socket's default backplate. now my am5 socket already had 4 screw holes on 4 corners of the socket but the issue is 4 spring screws( 1,3,4 on above image) of that X holder too high from those socket's default screw holes and cant reach to the holes to be screwed into the holes. so i decreased the gaps by attaching my cabinet's mobo mounting screw stands into those holes like this- image.thumb.jpeg.17bcea2ee612ee35370fca6840f0aa69.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2558a841bbc1d2da1ba6b3f11a522d64.jpeg

now the gap between spring screws of cooler's X holder and socket's screw hole decreased significantly that they touches each other , but it was not enough and still i could not screwed those spring screws of X holder into those modified screw holes properly as either the spring screws needed to be little lower or screw holes needed to be little higher. so i manually bend all the hands of that X holder little bit( i took the X holder far way from cpu socket and full system during bending, so no other pc component got effected during the bending process). So now i could easily screwed down those X holder's spring screws into the socket's modified screw holes and after completely tightening those all 4 spring screws my heatsink was totally strongly fit on the CPU and was not even moving a bit even i applied moderate force on the heatsink(i aplied Arctic MX-4 thermal paste properly) .image.thumb.jpeg.7af0e734330f5437644deeb5070944e1.jpeg

(in the above pic bracket arms seems at 2 very different heights, but that pic i took when i was middle of the screwing process , after finishing my screws everything was of same height, but i cant take the pic of current situation right now cause of my GPU blocking the site.)

then i installed 2 fans , one on each side of the heat sink in push pull configuration. 

after that i ran cinebench 2024 for 10 minutes (35c room temp) and got these temps on hwinfo- 
image.png.e252875ec318b243829a1b3ab3cd3997.png

My questions are-
1.. can my cpu or socket pins or any pc component be physically damaged any way right now or over time cause i installed the cooler like that unofficial way?

2.. are those temps of cpu and cores too bad? there's like 10c different in average temps between various cores and also atleast 16c different between coolest core temp and cpu temp. Is all of this happening cause i installed the cooler such way? if i buy a new am5 supported cooler which has same cooling  power as my hyper 212x will i get way better temp results? is this better temp result than stock r5 7600 cpu cooler considering room temp is at 35c? can you plz guess roughly how much more temps would be if it was stock cooler?

3.. do i have to buy new am5 supported cooler right now and ditch this hyper 212x immediately?

10 minutes ago, EzioWar said:

Hi, my  MOBO-Gigabyte B650M DS3H, bios version FA4,cpu ryzen5 7600,cpu cooler-Hyper 212X , gpu - Asrock AMD rx 7800xt challenger oc,

so hyper 212x cooler not officially supported with AM5 but i made following adjustments manually to make it fit to my AM5 socket-

this is the X holder of the cooler which holds the heatsink on the socket -image.thumb.png.aa8e8d4f8cb26ddd05e214e01568ec4f.png

it should hold the cooler like this-  image.thumb.png.23d527421bd790648c6d23dc7e33fec4.png

But the issue was with AM5 that we cant install the coolers seperate backplate behind the mobo cause we cant remove the socket's default backplate. now my am5 socket already had 4 screw holes on 4 corners of the socket but the issue is 4 spring screws( 1,3,4 on above image) of that X holder too high from those socket's default screw holes and cant reach to the holes to be screwed into the holes. so i decreased the gaps by attaching my cabinet's mobo mounting screw stands into those holes like this- image.thumb.jpeg.17bcea2ee612ee35370fca6840f0aa69.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2558a841bbc1d2da1ba6b3f11a522d64.jpeg

now the gap between spring screws of cooler's X holder and socket's screw hole decreased significantly that they touches each other , but it was not enough and still i could not screwed those spring screws of X holder into those modified screw holes properly as either the spring screws needed to be little lower or screw holes needed to be little higher. so i manually bend all the hands of that X holder little bit( i took the X holder far way from cpu socket and full system during bending, so no other pc component got effected during the bending process). So now i could easily screwed down those X holder's spring screws into the socket's modified screw holes and after completely tightening those all 4 spring screws my heatsink was totally strongly fit on the CPU and was not even moving a bit even i applied moderate force on the heatsink(i aplied Arctic MX-4 thermal paste properly) .image.thumb.jpeg.7af0e734330f5437644deeb5070944e1.jpeg

then i installed 2 fans , one on each side of the heat sink in push pull configuration. 

after that i ran cinebench 2024 for 10 minutes (35c room temp) and got these temps on hwinfo- 

My questions are-
1.. can my cpu or socket pins or any pc component be physically damaged any way right now or over time cause i installed the cooler like that unofficial way?

2.. are those temps of cpu and cores too bad? there's like 10c different in average temps between various cores and also atleast 16c different between coolest core temp and cpu temp. Is all of this happening cause i installed the cooler such way? if i buy a new am5 supported cooler which has same cooling  power as my hyper 212x will i get way better temp results? 

3.. do i have to buy new am5 supported cooler right now and ditch this hyper 212x immediately?

Your bracket arms look like theyre 2 very different heights when they should be roughly even and technically there shouldnt be an issue installing as AM4 and AM5 are identical mounting mechanisms

Temps also seem a little high for a 7600 but that could also just be the 212 being itself, its not the best cooler, but  with a 7600 itll do the job

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

4 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Your bracket arms look like theyre 2 very different heights when they should be roughly even and technically there shouldnt be an issue installing as AM4 and AM5 are identical mounting mechanisms

in the above pic bracket arms seems at 2 very different heights, but that pic i took when i was middle of the screwing process , after finishing my screws everything was of same height, but i cant take the pic of current situation right now cause of my GPU blocking the site.

8 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Temps also seem a little high for a 7600 but that could also just be the 212 being itself, its not the best cooler, but  with a 7600 itll do the job

is this better temp result than stock r5 7600 cpu cooler considering room temp is at 35c? can you plz guess roughly how much more temps would be if it was stock cooler?

5 minutes ago, EzioWar said:

in the above pic bracket arms seems at 2 very different heights, but that pic i took when i was middle of the screwing process , after finishing my screws everything was of same height, but i cant take the pic of current situation right now cause of my GPU blocking the site.

Is it possible to even sneak a pic in somewhere?

System specs:

2 minutes ago, EzioWar said:

room temp is at 35c

1. holy fuck

2. temps arent looking as bad anymore

System specs:

6 minutes ago, EzioWar said:

Can you plz guess roughly how much more temps would be if it was stock cooler?

212 should be better, what was the thermal paste situation like?

System specs:

7 minutes ago, EzioWar said:

considering room temp is at 35c

Oh shit 95f. Maybe the temps are pretty good actually.

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

2 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

nope, sorry no site at all, have to remove gpu and 2x cooler fans for proper view sadly

212 should be better, what was the thermal paste situation like?

Just now, EzioWar said:

With that ambient temp and running cinebench for 10 mins to almost hit 95C youre more than fine, have you applied a PBO offset curve?

System specs:

Just now, TatamiMatt said:

nope, everything is on default in bios. i just enabled expo.

Just now, EzioWar said:

nope, everything is on default in bios. i just enabled expo.

Try an offset curve, should reign in temps even further and actually make the cpu run better, start with negative offset of 20 and see if its stable

System specs:

13 minutes ago, EzioWar said:

room temp is at 35c

do you cook eggs by taking them out of the fridge?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

57 minutes ago, EzioWar said:

everything is on default in bios. i just enabled expo. so hyper 212x cooler not officially supported with AM5 but i made following adjustments manually to make it fit to my AM5 socket-

(in the above pic bracket arms seems at 2 very different heights, but that pic i took when i was middle of the screwing process , after finishing my screws everything was of same height, but i cant take the pic of current situation right now cause of my GPU blocking the site.)

My questions are-

2.. are those temps of cpu and cores too bad? there's like 10c different in average temps between various cores and also atleast 16c different between coolest core temp and cpu temp. Is all of this happening cause i installed the cooler such way? if i buy a new am5 supported cooler which has same cooling  power as my hyper 212x will i get way better temp results? is this better temp result than stock r5 7600 cpu cooler considering room temp is at 35c? can you plz guess roughly how much more temps would be if it was stock cooler?

1. don't think there's any risk other than bad cooling, the AM5 IHS is so thick you need an elephant level pressure to crush it 🙂 

2. they look somewhat bad but nothing really worrying. Temps spikes jumping from core to core are normal on Ryzen

3. well a TR PS120 is like $35, I'd do that rather than a Frankenkooler 😄 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

11 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

1. don't think there's any risk other than bad cooling, the AM5 IHS is so thick you need an elephant level pressure to crush it 🙂 

2. they look somewhat bad but nothing really worrying. Temps spikes jumping from core to core are normal on Ryzen

3. well a TR PS120 is like $35, I'd do that rather than a Frankenkooler 😄 

it's 120 us $ at my place 😞