Laptop for school use, and is an eGPU a no go?

Hey, 

I'm looking to buy a new laptop for Uni. It's probably gonna be used mostly for web browsing and some light physics simulation. Would be nice if I could do some gaming on the side but this would mostly be emulating older games. My pricerange is probably around 1000 - 1500 USD, but I'm flexible if there is anything thats vastly better at a higer pricepoint. I was also wondering if using an eGPU would make sense (Obviously not factored into the budget). 

Help me LTT forum, you're my only hope :praying_hands:

Starting of with would a IGPU make sense. No it would not really make sense, first of all because you have plenty of budget voor a dedicated GPU but also because physics simulation even if its just light tasks wil pretty quickly require a dedicated GPU in order to run smoothly because of the rendering or parrelel processing.

If I were you I would look at something like this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/gigabyte-16-165hz-gaming-laptop-ips-intel-i7-13650hx-with-32gb-ram-nvidia-geforce-rtx-4060-1tb-ssd-black/6576649.p?skuId=6576649

It is right within your price range and can handle everything you throw with it. With the added bonus of expansion options for RAM as well as Storage.

1 hour ago, JoakimLuka said:

Hey, 

I'm looking to buy a new laptop for Uni. It's probably gonna be used mostly for web browsing and some light physics simulation. Would be nice if I could do some gaming on the side but this would mostly be emulating older games. My pricerange is probably around 1000 - 1500 USD, but I'm flexible if there is anything thats vastly better at a higer pricepoint. I was also wondering if using an eGPU would make sense (Obviously not factored into the budget). 

Help me LTT forum, you're my only hope :praying_hands:

eGPUs aren't that good of an option anymore. You're paying at least 200-300$ for just the box itself with no GPU included. The laptop that tmz suggested looks pretty good

2 hours ago, tmz said:

Starting of with would a IGPU make sense. No it would not really make sense, first of all because you have plenty of budget voor a dedicated GPU but also because physics simulation even if its just light tasks wil pretty quickly require a dedicated GPU in order to run smoothly because of the rendering or parrelel processing.

If I were you I would look at something like this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/gigabyte-16-165hz-gaming-laptop-ips-intel-i7-13650hx-with-32gb-ram-nvidia-geforce-rtx-4060-1tb-ssd-black/6576649.p?skuId=6576649

It is right within your price range and can handle everything you throw with it. With the added bonus of expansion options for RAM as well as Storage.

Thanks for the eGPU take. The specs on the laptop look like more than good enough for what I need, but it looks pretty bulky and heavy.... That was my thought behind the eGPU, so that I wouldn't have to cary around a brick to lectures 😞

21 hours ago, JoakimLuka said:

Thanks for the eGPU take. The specs on the laptop look like more than good enough for what I need, but it looks pretty bulky and heavy.... That was my thought behind the eGPU, so that I wouldn't have to cary around a brick to lectures 😞

Understandable, there are a lot of more lightweight options out there in terms of laptops with a dedicated gpu. But for a lightweight variant you will most likely be looking above 1500 usd as those laptops are typically marketed more towards the bussines oriented customer or the really high end gaming laptops like the top models of the Lenovo legion slim series.

Prioritize portability and quality over performance - this is the only way to make it through school without pain.

Forget about eGPU - in the end it will be cheaper to get yourself a used desktop just for gaming.

Modern top tier iGPU should be sufficient for most school loads and light (or older AAA) gaming - remember smth like SteamDeck can run Cyberpunk (yes, at low settings, but still).