Is Intel Xeon E3 1246 V3 TIM soldered? Is it safe to delid?

I recently bought a used xeon e3 1246 v3 and the tests show unusually high temps for core 0(100°) and 1(85°) while the rest sit at 60°. I've ruled out all other possibilities (uneven cooler mount,...) so I've decided to delid the cpu. But i couldn't find any info regarding the TIM used in these xeons so can someone tell me if they're soldered or not?

21 minutes ago, Zexer2020 said:

I recently bought a used xeon e3 1246 v3 and the tests show unusually high temps for core 0(100°) and 1(85°) while the rest sit at 60°. I've ruled out all other possibilities (uneven cooler mount,...) so I've decided to delid the cpu. But i couldn't find any info regarding the TIM used in these xeons so can someone tell me if they're soldered or not?

They're not soldered. It's haswell. Actually delidded a E3-1270 V3 once. Worked great after. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

6 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

They're not soldered. It's haswell. Actually delidded a E3-1270 V3 once. Worked great after. 

Oh that's great news! I'll try delidding Then thank you 

On 4/17/2024 at 12:25 PM, DoctorNick said:

so i delided it and it was not soldered as you said. but now do i have to use liquid metal on the die or is it ok to use normal paste like mx4? i'm afraid i'll cause a short or sth with the liquid metal, also its expensive and hard to come by around here.

32 minutes ago, Zexer2020 said:

so i delided it and it was not soldered as you said. but now do i have to use liquid metal on the die or is it ok to use normal paste like mx4? i'm afraid i'll cause a short or sth with the liquid metal, also its expensive and hard to come by around here.

Nope not at all. You'll only get a couple of C better temp with liquid metal, so not worth it imo. Can't remember if I used anything else than normal tim. Might even have used MX4 and I gained around 20C lower temps using a Corsair H100. If you dont have any sealant for glueing the heat spreader back on the cpu, just install the bare pcb cpu in the socket and put heat spreader on top after applying tim to die, then close socket lid and put tim on top of heat spreader.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

26 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Nope not at all. You'll only get a couple of C better temp with liquid metal, so not worth it imo. Can't remember if I used anything else than normal tim. Might even have used MX4 and I gained around 20C lower temps using a Corsair H100 

and is it ok to if i dont glue the ihs back onto the pcb? will the socket bracket hold it just fine?

9 minutes ago, Zexer2020 said:

and is it ok to if i dont glue the ihs back onto the pcb? will the socket bracket hold it just fine?

Yes its fine, thats why I said it 😄

FS in Denmark/EU:

Posted (edited)

Wanted to update the topic with my results so here we go: IT WORKED!!😍 I have never been hapier in my life! windows booted like always and now core temps are much closer to each other and in the normal range! Uploaded the pictures (cooler is the intel stock one for now so temps will be even lower after i get a better one). 

Delidding is really stressful if it's the first time you are doing it but if you research thoroughly and watch enough youtube videos and be patient in the process, it won't be difficult to do. Also big thanks to @DoctorNick for answering my questions as there really is not much info available about delidding old cpus on the internet.

Before Delidding.jpg

After Delidding.jpg

Before Cleaning.jpg

After Cleaning.jpg

Edited by Zexer2020

On 4/20/2024 at 3:11 PM, Zexer2020 said:

Wanted to update the topic with my results so here we go: IT WORKED!!😍 I have never been hapier in my life! windows booted like always and now core temps are much closer to each other and in the normal range! Uploaded the pictures (cooler is the intel stock one for now so temps will be even lower after i get a better one). 

Delidding is really stressful if it's the first time you are doing it but if you research thoroughly and watch enough youtube videos and be patient in the process, it won't be difficult to do. Also big thanks to @DoctorNick for answering my questions as there really is not much info available about delidding old cpus on the internet.

Very nice results! Yes if you get -20C on some cores with stock cooler, then it can't get much better than that!

FS in Denmark/EU:

On 4/22/2024 at 10:33 AM, DoctorNick said:

Very nice results! Yes if you get -20C on some cores with stock cooler, then it can't get much better than that!

Hey sorry for bothering again but after less than a week of seeing those great resutls, today i did the same cpuz stress test and temps are about 10 to 15 degrees higher now and the difference between hottest and coolest core has increased to 10 degrees(see new screenshot).  have you ever had such a problem after delidding? what could be the cause of it? I made sure to clean the black glue as much as possible, was that not clean enough as shown in previous pics? also i scracthed the ihs a little bit while removing the black glue(visible in the last picture) could that somehow be causing thermal paste to spread unevenly or sth? if yes can i fix it using sandpaper?

Picture1.jpg

Just took the lid off and saw the paste was not evenly distribiuted on the die. Made sure all the die surface was covered in paste and now temps are great and normal again.

photo_2024-04-26_19-42-47.jpg

photo_2024-04-26_19-42-56.jpg