Edutainment PC planning - questions for a new build

Go to solution Solved by TatamiMatt,
3 hours ago, Powderd_Toastman said:

Budget (including currency): $1000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 1440p high-fidelity gaming, 3D modeling, development environment

Other details: Existing 'Rig': i7-4790k, ASUS Maximus VII Hero, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW, Corsair RM850x power supply

I've been using this computer solid for the last 7+ years, and it's been a faithful companion. It's tired and starting to really hiccup and stutter with games with large worlds, or higher base resolution textures.

I'm working with around $1000USD, and my idea is to try to save a bit in the GPU space by trying my hand at the used market for a 3080ti. I'll be working with 3D modeling, some mild simulations, and games as the majority of the  use. Edit: My gaming target is 1440p 240hz and high/max settings. What's the community sentiment on Intel vs AMD, considering my use cases? I'll be re-using my existing storage media, it's plenty adequate for me so far.

So I'd like to ask for some opinions on what good combinations exist, within this sort of price bracket? Are there any standout features of motherboard chipsets I should be aware of for the current generation of CPUs? Things like Wifi or RGB aren't terribly important. My current PC is an ATX in an EATX case, and I'd love some recommendations for some medium-sized tower cases that could maybe help reclaim some space from the top of my desk (I've never been one to put it on the floor; I enjoy a nice view window to see the insides!)

Another thing, I know the capacity of my PSU seems to be adequate, but will I have any issues by reusing it? It's a replacement for the original corsair 750w, I would ballpark it to be 4-5 years old at this point.

I'm definitely happy to help clarify any questions if it helps you narrow down to a particular recommendation. I appreciate you taking the time to read this and I look forward to a discussion!

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MsXydH

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.00 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B650 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($169.00 @ MSI) 
Memory: Silicon Power Value Gaming 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($97.97 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Green SN350 960 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Montech AIR 903 MAX ATX Mid Tower Case  ($75.00 @ Amazon) 
Total: $600.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-17 03:48 EDT-0400

Basic part list with everything youll need and $400 space for a GPU

Smaller than E-ATX case with fans included and good airflow

Reuse power supply

Do you have a cpu cooler already? If not the 7600 comes with a cooler, but a better one if you have it aready is always nice, though not necessary to purchase as the stock cooler is perfectly fine

If you wanted to spend a little extra ($40) you could get a faster 2TB SSD

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jrB8wg

Memory: Silicon Power Value Gaming 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($97.97 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Silicon Power UD90 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($102.97 @ B&H) 
Total: $643.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-17 03:51 EDT-0400

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 1440p high-fidelity gaming, 3D modeling, development environment

Other details: Existing 'Rig': i7-4790k, ASUS Maximus VII Hero, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW, Corsair RM850x power supply

I've been using this computer solid for the last 7+ years, and it's been a faithful companion. It's tired and starting to really hiccup and stutter with games with large worlds, or higher base resolution textures.

I'm working with around $1000USD, and my idea is to try to save a bit in the GPU space by trying my hand at the used market for a 3080ti. I'll be working with 3D modeling, some mild simulations, and games as the majority of the  use. Edit: My gaming target is 1440p 240hz and high/max settings. What's the community sentiment on Intel vs AMD, considering my use cases? I'll be re-using my existing storage media, it's plenty adequate for me so far.

So I'd like to ask for some opinions on what good combinations exist, within this sort of price bracket? Are there any standout features of motherboard chipsets I should be aware of for the current generation of CPUs? Things like Wifi or RGB aren't terribly important. My current PC is an ATX in an EATX case, and I'd love some recommendations for some medium-sized tower cases that could maybe help reclaim some space from the top of my desk (I've never been one to put it on the floor; I enjoy a nice view window to see the insides!)

Another thing, I know the capacity of my PSU seems to be adequate, but will I have any issues by reusing it? It's a replacement for the original corsair 750w, I would ballpark it to be 4-5 years old at this point.

I'm definitely happy to help clarify any questions if it helps you narrow down to a particular recommendation. I appreciate you taking the time to read this and I look forward to a discussion!

The psu is perfectly fine after 5 years, especially a good one like this. A good combo for your budget would be 7500f with a B650, with the best gpu you can get after buying rest of the parts. Just make sure not to get the cheapest mobo, because it will have trash vrm, and will overheat

HI 

this is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt,

for 3d modeling it is worth upgrading the CPU Motherboard and RAM 

just something that i have heard, apparently 3080ti graphics cards run very hot i think it would be worth checking online if someone is selling a used GPU,

or something that is relatively cheap like a 6gb 3050 it is plenty good for 3d modeling and should handle pretty much anything you throw at it, its worth getting a motherboards that supports ddr5 and accompanying cup will definitely help.

using the same powers supply shouldn't have too much problems, but after a while once you have some more money it will be worth putting in to more money to get a 

better PSU, but at the moment what you have now should be fine.

personally from what i have experienced AMD CPU's are better for 3d modeling but that is my own experience and other may find intel is better that is a decision best left to others preferences 

i did make a parts list for you in pc part picker this is all just a suggestion 

it am not sure if it includes the shipping or not 

hope this was helpful and other may something completely different to what i have said but i hope i was at least a little bit helpful 

Screenshot2024-04-17132030.thumb.png.22e3780b6f28550fe246f7522edfe86f.png

3 hours ago, Powderd_Toastman said:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MsXydH

Storage: Western Digital Green SN350 960 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $600.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-17 03:48 EDT-0400

Basic part list with everything youll need and $400 space for a GPU

Smaller than E-ATX case with fans included and good airflow

Reuse power supply

Do you have a cpu cooler already? If not the 7600 comes with a cooler, but a better one if you have it aready is always nice, though not necessary to purchase as the stock cooler is perfectly fine

If you wanted to spend a little extra ($40) you could get a faster 2TB SSD

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jrB8wg

Storage: Silicon Power UD90 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($102.97 @ B&H) 
Total: $643.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-17 03:51 EDT-0400

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3