what is the best cooler for the 5800x3d?

Jaw709

Just upgraded and my little old stealth cooler doesn't seem to reach the backplate. I've got it rigged up with the the PC on the side and a jayz2cents amount of thermal paste, but I'd like something more umm stable. Suggestions welcome, thank you

what case clearance do you have?

Generally right now the Peerless Assassin 120 SE is a go-to, due to it's super low cost and absurd performance.

6 minutes ago, tkitch said:

what case clearance do you have?

Generally right now the Peerless Assassin 120 SE is a go-to, due to it's super low cost and absurd performance.

Awesome, thanks for the reco. That looks like a good buy. I'm not sure what clearance I have, but worst case I just return it

PXL_20240415_235418552.jpg

PXL_20240415_235431123.jpg

My vote is for the Phantom Spirit 120 Evo.

Awesome cooler. After that FC140.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

Yep, the two mentioned here are the two I've heard mentioned most often for the 5800X3D.

I have the peerless assassin myself (although I'm only on the 5600), and it's definitely excellent.

Looks a bit tight in there for a peerless assassin, maybe a single tower would fit this better.

Maybe my optics are off but seems to me that top fan would be in the way of a dual

tower solution.

1 hour ago, Renegade042 said:

Looks a bit tight in there for a peerless assassin, maybe a single tower would fit this better.

Maybe my optics are off but seems to me that top fan would be in the way of a dual

tower solution.

oof, thanks for the heads up. It actually just came this morning so I will try to get it done tonight. I don't have a problem removing the top fan though, whatever it takes

Posted (edited)

Sheathe your doubts fellow Linuspeople, she fits! (And consequently, you must now not acquits.) Just barely but won't have to do that for another 2-3 years now. Thanks for the LTTech support

PXL_20240416_221741585.jpg

PXL_20240416_221728753.jpg

Edited by Jaw709

12 minutes ago, Renegade042 said:

Temps?

So far better than the former R5 3600, but I'm reinstalling Windows fresh. Hope to get into some gaming tonight to test it on Battlefield 5

13 hours ago, Jaw709 said:

Sheathe your doubts fellow Linuspeople, she fits! (And consequently, you must now not acquits.) Just barely but won't have to do that for another 2-3 years now. Thanks for the LTTech support

PXL_20240416_221741585.jpg

PXL_20240416_221728753.jpg

Twasn't LTT tech support. It was the volunteers who come here to help. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

On 4/16/2024 at 7:32 PM, Renegade042 said:

Temps?

It hit 74c in time spy extreme, monitoring with hwinfo. Of course I haven't played any actual games yet have to tune my RAM first lmao. And my bios almost died, so there was that

6 hours ago, Jaw709 said:

It hit 74c in time spy extreme, monitoring with hwinfo. Of course I haven't played any actual games yet have to tune my RAM first lmao. And my bios almost died, so there was that

What do you mean your BIOS almost died? How do you know this? 74 with TSE is excellent, and far more demanding than most games.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

3 hours ago, RevGAM said:

What do you mean your BIOS almost died? How do you know this? 74 with TSE is excellent, and far more demanding than most games.

Well I set my ram timings manually and forgot to change the voltage. It was boot looping into loud fans/black screen. On the 97th reboot I finally got the aorus splash screen and was able to reload the BIOS but it was all in Chinese hahaaaaaaa.

1 hour ago, Jaw709 said:

Well I set my ram timings manually and forgot to change the voltage. It was boot looping into loud fans/black screen. On the 97th reboot I finally got the aorus splash screen and was able to reload the BIOS but it was all in Chinese hahaaaaaaa.

If you weren't able to put it back to your language, pull the battery or reset CMOS.