PC wont boot after ARGB connection

Hello folks,

I have a problem. I put together a new build consisting of:

Gigabyte B650 Gaming X Ax
Ryzen 7 7800x3d
DDR 5 32Gb from Kingston
RTX 2080TI (taken from old system)
Thermaltake 700W PSU (also from old system)

So now to the problem:
I had problems from the start after putting the build together. CPU LED lights up solid red, even when the PC was off. The PC didn't boot either. CPU and Dram LED started to light up alternately...
All suggested solutions have been tried - reseat the CPU; start without GPU; only 1 ram bar; CMOS reset etc etc...
I was desperate... finally I wanted to remove the board again and pulled the cables off the board one by one.

So, when I then pulled the cable for my 9 ARGB fans (controlled via controller with SATA power supply) from the 3-pin header on the board, the CPU LED was off and the PC now boots normally.
I initially thought the controller was defective so I ordered a new one. I connected all the fans to the new one and got the same picture again... PC no longer boots. As soon as I unplugged the controller from the mainboard header, it turned back on normally.

As a test, I only connected a fan to the Argb header on the board. Everything worked and the PC boots.
As soon as I plug the controller and the 9 fans into the header, nothing works.

What I tried was booting up the PC without a controller on the header and then connecting the controller again as a test. Everything lights up and can also control all LEDs.

I'm done. Maybe this has something to do with the power supply?

Thank you in advance.

image.png.07c98ce1f70530cd664ccd1eb3e44bf5.png

Hi.

Here there looks like possibly 2 causes.. 

1. If your PSU is at same age as the 2080ti, i would think it has degraded over time, and when you plug in the RGB controller it's too much for it. 

650w is the minimum limit for a 2080ti.. 

2. that ARGB controller is shorted and the PSU cuts all power to save your system. 

I would test every fan if it works or not, it can be a fan causing issues too. Like you did with one. 

I don't know what controller you have but the cheapest ones are without casing so a bare IC card, you need to mount raised, like a motherboard. 

14 minutes ago, Robchil said:

Hi.

Here there looks like possibly 2 causes.. 

1. If your PSU is at same age as the 2080ti, i would think it has degraded over time, and when you plug in the RGB controller it's too much for it. 

650w is the minimum limit for a 2080ti.. 

2. that ARGB controller is shorted and the PSU cuts all power to save your system. 

I would test every fan if it works or not, it can be a fan causing issues too. Like you did with one. 

I don't know what controller you have but the cheapest ones are without casing so a bare IC card, you need to mount raised, like a motherboard. 

Thank you for your feedback signal.

The first controller was from Lamptron. This also worked in my old build (i7 9700k: 32gb ddr4 3200mhz: asus rog z390f gaming) without any problems.

the second controller is from deepcool.

I also thought that it was the PSU, but according to various websites where you can calculate the watt consumption, the 700w should be enough.

28 minutes ago, Christoph311 said:
Thank you for your feedback signal.

The first controller was from Lamptron. This also worked in my old build (i7 9700k: 32gb ddr4 3200mhz: asus rog z390f gaming) without any problems.

the second controller is from deepcool.

I also thought that it was the PSU, but according to various websites where you can calculate the watt consumption, the 700w should be enough.

having to scroll your text to read it as annoying... use normal font size please. 

older cheaper PSU's degrade over time and will not be able to deliver the same output after years in use. BUT.. 

since it's just the argb controller and you swapped it out, i would think it's one of the fan's causing the issue.  remove all the fans from the controller and check if it still is unable to start. 

if any of them are 12V RGB it's possible to invert the plugs and short the argb circuit. 

BTW Lamptron is into some shady dealing on HW monitor screen AIDA64 licenses..  see Derbauer on his latest video

59 minutes ago, Robchil said:

having to scroll your text to read it as annoying... use normal font size please. 

older cheaper PSU's degrade over time and will not be able to deliver the same output after years in use. BUT.. 

since it's just the argb controller and you swapped it out, i would think it's one of the fan's causing the issue.  remove all the fans from the controller and check if it still is unable to start. 

if any of them are 12V RGB it's possible to invert the plugs and short the argb circuit. 

BTW Lamptron is into some shady dealing on HW monitor screen AIDA64 licenses..  see Derbauer on his latest video

Wonder if OP will keep trolling with the weird formatting.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

2 hours ago, Robchil said:

OK, I'll test it in the next few days, but according to what you say, it could be a defective fan or PSU?
I also thought that there was a defect in the PSU, but I wanted to clarify everything else before I possibly buy a new one.

10 minutes ago, Christoph311 said:
OK, I'll test it in the next few days, but according to what you say, it could be a defective fan or PSU?
I also thought that there was a defect in the PSU, but I wanted to clarify everything else before I possibly buy a new one.

Most likely a defect RGB header on a fan. or if they have 4 pins, one can be mounted inverted, pin 1 on pin 4.. 

noname and lower quality PSU could be able to loose that much watt output in 5 year.. i don't think a TT should do it so i would think it's a fan rgb header that's either shorted, or a 12V fan that's mounted inverted. 

24 minutes ago, Robchil said:

Most likely a defect RGB header on a fan. or if they have 4 pins, one can be mounted inverted, pin 1 on pin 4.. 

noname and lower quality PSU could be able to loose that much watt output in 5 year.. i don't think a TT should do it so i would think it's a fan rgb header that's either shorted, or a 12V fan that's mounted inverted. 

But what do you mean a 12v fan? I only have 3pin argb 5v fans on that controller.

But i will test every single fan on the header from the mobo to sort this out. 

First i try the controller alone, without any fans connected✌️

26 minutes ago, Christoph311 said:

But what do you mean a 12v fan? I only have 3pin argb 5v fans on that controller.

But i will test every single fan on the header from the mobo to sort this out. 

First i try the controller alone, without any fans connected✌️

you never said what fans you had..  

if they are all 5v, one of their RGB plugs can be shorted. 

if none of them creates the problem on your pc not starting, it can still be the PSU, how many fans did you have in the old system? 

Just now, Robchil said:

you never said what fans you had..  

if they are all 5v, one of their RGB plugs can be shorted. 

if none of them creates the problem on your pc not starting, it can still be the PSU, how many fans did you have in the old system? 

Yeah sorry for not mentioning it which fans😬.

I had 9 fans in the old system and i want to use this fans in the new build. + the lamptron controller was in my old build but i replaced it with the deepcool controller cause i first thought it was faulty.

But the fans are the same, 9 pcs

10 hours ago, Christoph311 said:

Yeah sorry for not mentioning it which fans😬.

I had 9 fans in the old system and i want to use this fans in the new build. + the lamptron controller was in my old build but i replaced it with the deepcool controller cause i first thought it was faulty.

But the fans are the same, 9 pcs

Another weird thing is, if i turn of the PSU on the backside of the pc, then switch it on again, press the power button at the front panel and the pc is booting fine even if the controller is connected to the mainboard😅

9 hours ago, Christoph311 said:

Another weird thing is, if i turn of the PSU on the backside of the pc, then switch it on again, press the power button at the front panel and the pc is booting fine even if the controller is connected to the mainboard😅

🤔that actually makes it a different diagnose.... 

🤔that actually makes it a different diagnose.... 

Yeah this build is so damn mysterious🙈. On my old build i just connected the controller and installed the fans... everything worked fine😬.

But this new build is a mess..

12 minutes ago, Christoph311 said:

Yeah this build is so damn mysterious🙈. On my old build i just connected the controller and installed the fans... everything worked fine😬.

But this new build is a mess..

sound like some power management setting isn't quite right, for RGB. 

10 hours ago, Robchil said:

sound like some power management setting isn't quite right, for RGB. 

What do you mean exactly?

1 hour ago, Christoph311 said:

What do you mean exactly?

So if i only connect the controller, cpu led is lightning red but pc boots fine.

If i connect only 1 fan to the controller the debug light keeps flashing between cpu and dram led, pc wont boot.

It trys to start but for me it looks like it hangs somewhere... fans are spinning

1 hour ago, Christoph311 said:

So if i only connect the controller, cpu led is lightning red but pc boots fine.

If i connect only 1 fan to the controller the debug light keeps flashing between cpu and dram led, pc wont boot.

It trys to start but for me it looks like it hangs somewhere... fans are spinning

have you set any color's for your rgb yet? 

is it different or same cable for both rgb controllers?  argb only goes in one way so hard to do that wrong. inspect the cable for damage. 

is it different or same cable for both rgb controllers?  argb only goes in one way so hard to do that wrong. inspect the cable for damage. 

Yeah yeah i can change the colours, all working fine.

Cables look all fine, no damage.. i orderrd a new psu today for testing if it solves the problem. Should arrive tomorrow.

Will let you know if it helped😅

On 4/17/2024 at 10:13 AM, Robchil said:

Quick update with the new PSU.

Everything works fine now. No cpu led is lightning when pc is off and it boots how it should😊.

Maybe with the new ram and so on the psu couldnt handle the extra rgb😅.

But problem is solved and thanks for helping❤️