Dell G2724D or the newer MSI MAG 274QRF-QD E2

Greetings everyone.
Currently looking for a monitor upgrade from my AOC C72G2, a 1080p Curve VA 165hz monitor. I am torn between Dell G2724D and MSI MAG 274QRF QD E2.

I'm tempted to buy the MSI since it has more features on paper(KVM switch, usb hub, quantum dot) and it's newer but I can barely find any review of it, I also worry about their quality control. Seems to have quite a few post about dead pixel, while Dell has a singular post about backlight bleed after a few months.

Should I go with the Dell or the newer unreviewed MSI? 

-Desktop: Asrock H81M-HDS R2.0, Pentium G3258 4.2 ghz OC, Palit GTX 750 ti StormX, Kingston HyperX Fury 1600 4gb, Seagate Baracuda
-Laptop: MSI GE620DX, i72670QM 2.2 Ghz, 8GB 1333mhz Ram, GT555M 2GB DDR3.
-Gaming peripherals: Razer Deathadder 2013, Superlux HD 681 Evo Razer Goliathus Control Medium sizeCm Storm Quickfire TK white edition.

18 minutes ago, GriggsCK said:

Greetings everyone.
Currently looking for a monitor upgrade from my AOC C72G2, a 1080p Curve VA 165hz monitor. I am torn between Dell G2724D and MSI MAG 274QRF QD E2.

I'm tempted to buy the MSI since it has more features on paper(KVM switch, usb hub, quantum dot) and it's newer but I can barely find any review of it, I also worry about their quality control. Seems to have quite a few post about dead pixel, while Dell has a singular post about backlight bleed after a few months.

The  MSI seems a league above the Dell indeed

It has good rtings at Rtings 😛 , only "meh" thing seems to be the HDR

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/msi/optix-mag274qrf-qd

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

10 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

The Rtings review is for the past release btw
(Don't have E2 at the end of the model name)

https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG274QRF-QD/Specification

https://www.msi.com/Monitor/MAG-274QRF-QD-E2/Specification

Seems to me that the E2 version now advertising Vesa Certified HDR400, unlike the non-E2, which idk if the monitor can really achieve it or not.

Although for some reason there's no longer G-sync Compatible logo too on it's web page.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

9 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

I have the Dell vs MSI monitor RTINGS link bookmarked actually. Dell seems to be ever so slightly superior to the MSI, but that one is the old version, I found no review of the successor the E2 version aside from a few redditor saying it's better than the old one. 😅

-Desktop: Asrock H81M-HDS R2.0, Pentium G3258 4.2 ghz OC, Palit GTX 750 ti StormX, Kingston HyperX Fury 1600 4gb, Seagate Baracuda
-Gaming peripherals: Razer Deathadder 2013, Superlux HD 681 Evo Razer Goliathus Control Medium sizeCm Storm Quickfire TK white edition.

13 minutes ago, GriggsCK said:

I have the Dell vs MSI monitor RTINGS link bookmarked actually. Dell seems to be ever so slightly superior to the MSI, but that one is the old version, I found no review of the successor the E2 version aside from a few redditor saying it's better than the old one. 😅

If you care about -atleast- the HDR, I suggest waiting for reputable review or ask someone who has tried it (one whose opinion you can trust of course).

Especially if you live in a country where no defect RMA is not possible.

Ask Monitors Unboxed to review it 🤣

https://www.youtube.com/@monitorsunboxed

I have the non-E2 version, color wise, it's quite holy shiet.

Kinda have warm hue in some cases (usually when there's a shit ton of white color), but not too bad IMO.

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

14 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

If you care about -atleast- the HDR, I suggest waiting for reputable review or ask someone who has tried it (one whose opinion you can trust of course).

Especially if you live in a country where no defect RMA is not possible.

Ask Monitors Unboxed to review it 🤣

https://www.youtube.com/@monitorsunboxed

I have the non-E2 version, color wise, it's quite holy shiet.

Kinda have warm hue in some cases, but not too bad IMO.

I see, I don't care much about the HDR tbh, from what I've seen they only work well on expensive panels. I only want a straight up all around upgrade from my AOC (aside from contrast ratio obviously).

My only worry is MSI having QC issue, and I have been burnt by their product before. I RMAed their controller 3 times in 3 weeks. I can return the monitor and get warranty easily but I'd rather not. 

Do you any issue using your MSI monitor?

10 minutes ago, GriggsCK said:

I see, I don't care much about the HDR tbh, from what I've seen they only work well on expensive panels. I only want a straight up all around upgrade from my AOC (aside from contrast ratio obviously).

My only worry is MSI having QC issue, and I have been burnt by their product before. I RMAed their controller 3 times in 3 weeks. I can return the monitor and get warranty easily but I'd rather not. 

Do you any issue using your MSI monitor?

So far (almost a year), nah.

But then again I bought it by going directly to brick & mortar shop, made the shop confirm that I can inspect for dead pixel

connected my phone to it through USB-C and inspected the hell out of the panel for dead pixel

(Imagine seeing a customer putting his face 15cm away from the monitor he's thinking to buy for like 10 minutes)

The only thing I couldnt really inspect was bleed, since I couldn't possibly ask the whole floor to turn off the light.

But it's not bad (after inspecting it at home)

Refresh before you reply

4 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

So far (almost a year), nah.

But then again I bought it by going directly to brick & mortar shop, made the shop confirm that I can inspect for dead pixel

connected my phone to it through USB-C and inspected the hell out of the panel for dead pixel

(Imagine seeing a customer putting his face 15cm away from the monitor he's thinking to buy for like 10 minutes)

The only thing I couldnt really inspect was bleed, since I couldn't possibly ask the whole floor to turn off the light.

But it's not bad (after inspecting it at home)

Then I should probably go with the MSI, I buy the monitor online but I can pick it up from the store and inspect them. The shop that sells the Dell monitor is in a different state entirely in my country while the MSI's shop is just 15 minutes drive away. 

Thanks for the help, I shall wait for more opinions and reviews before making decision. 

1 hour ago, GriggsCK said:

Greetings everyone.

Have you taken a look at the LG 27GP850-B?   I have two and I love them.  I went through over 10 different monitors from MSI, ASUS and Samsung before I landed on the LG 27GP850-B.  Backlight bleed is something that bothers me a lot and the two LG 27GP850-B I have are almost flawless while my LG 32GQ850-B ( 32'' 240hz nano IPS ) has technology that basically removes backlight bleed and IPS glow called ATW polarizer.

I know its neither of your monitors in the original post but I am just throwing another option out there. The more the better 🙂

I spent over 4 months going through monitors before landing on this. My slight autism makes me very picky on certain things.

2 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Have you taken a look at the LG 27GP850-B?   I have two and I love them.  I went through over 10 different monitors from MSI, ASUS and Samsung before I landed on the LG 27GP850-B.  Backlight bleed is something that bothers me a lot and the two LG 27GP850-B I have are almost flawless while my LG 32GQ850-B ( 32'' 240hz nano IPS ) has technology that basically removes backlight bleed and IPS glow called ATW polarizer.

I know its neither of your monitors in the original post but I am just throwing another option out there. The more the better 🙂

I have actually looked into this monitor before, not sure if below average contrast ratio would bother me or not, and this is around 10% more expensive than the option I'm considering. I will look into this further, thanks for the suggestion. 😀

1 minute ago, GriggsCK said:

I have actually looked into this monitor before, not sure if below average contrast ratio would bother me or not, and this is around 10% more expensive than the option I'm considering. I will look into this further, thanks for the suggestion. 😀

Regarding the contrast ratio its absolutely nothing I notice while gaming.  I do a lot of simracing with the LG 27GP850-B and at night races with bright headlights and dashboard lights while the rest of the track is dark as night it just looks absolutely amazing.

The Gsync compatability is also one of the main reasons I went with this monitor ( The other monitors I tested were also Gsync compatible but fell short of the LG 27GP850-B )

Have a look into it and do some research 🙂  Its been on the market for a few years so there are plenty of reviews out there.

I am a very very picky consumer and the LG 27GP850-B won me over 🙂

3 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Regarding the contrast ratio its absolutely nothing I notice while gaming.  I do a lot of simracing with the LG 27GP850-B and at night races with bright headlights and dashboard lights while the rest of the track is dark as night it just looks absolutely amazing.

The Gsync compatability is also one of the main reasons I went with this monitor ( The other monitors I tested were also Gsync compatible but fell short of the LG 27GP850-B )

Have a look into it and do some research 🙂  Its been on the market for a few years so there are plenty of reviews out there.

I am a very very picky consumer and the LG 27GP850-B won me over 🙂

I see, I will look into this further, since LG is actually a brand I trust more than Dell and MSI. Thanks for the input. 

34 minutes ago, GriggsCK said:

after digging into it a bit it seems like the E2 is about the same as the original with firmware update and better calibration. if you are in the US it's 275usd and it's pretty much the best edgelit monitor out there ever since the first one came out in 2020. Would not consider the dell over the cheaper g274qpf-qd at 215usd

LG's low contrast is definitely noticeable.

The other option to consider is the q27g3xmn for the cheapest mini-led available for hdr.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

7 minutes ago, xg32 said:

after digging into it a bit it seems like the E2 is about the same as the original with firmware update and better calibration. if you are in the US it's 275usd and it's pretty much the best edgelit monitor out there ever since the first one came out in 2020. Would not consider the dell over the cheaper g274qpf-qd at 215usd

LG's low contrast is definitely noticeable.

The other option to consider is the q27g3xmn for the cheapest mini-led available for hdr.

Unfortunately I live in Malaysia, things here stay at MSRP even well after they are outdated or obsolete. g274qpf-qd here is actually slightly more expensive than the E2 lmao. Unfortunately q27g3xmn is not available here.

Thanks for help. 

9 hours ago, GriggsCK said:

You didn't mention what kind of games you play. If you're more into slower paced games, you'll get more out of a decent HDR display than if you're squeezing every last millisecond out of response times. There is at least one good, budget-friendly HDR monitor on the market now. Might be worth checking out. Basically, you're trading off a bit of response time to get decent HDR on a $280 budget.

9 hours ago, GriggsCK said:

There is not much difference between a contrast ratio of 800:1 and 1000:1. Both are equally bad when compared to stronger alternatives like VA, let alone OLED. This LG option is still better than the two Dell and MSI models mentioned above, despite the lower contrast.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.