Open back wireless USB headphones

daygeckoart

Are there any wireless headphones with a USB dongle (not Bluetooth) with open back? I have Sennheiser HD58X and they're great but I love the convenience of wireless. At the same time I don't want to mess around with Bluetooth, I want a rock solid connection that always works! I have an Xbox headset that is Bluetooth based and it's OK but I don't like using voice coms when I can't hear my own voice clearly, it feels strange. I also don't like that the sealed back makes my ears sweaty!

I am not aware of headphones like that (which doesn't necessarily mean they don't exist), however I have a somewhat odd solution for you: 

You could use a wireless in ear monitoring system to use your HD58X somewhat wireless, but those systems aren't cheap if you wan't something with halfway decent quality. The benefit is, those systems are more or less latency-free. On the downside: the audio signal is not encrypted, so you're basically broadcasting whatever you hear on your headphones. 

Still, this is exactly what I do whenever I want to use my DT 990 Pro wireless. To be fair, I've already owned a Shure PSM 300 as part of my stage-equipment and would probably not have bought it solely to use at home. 

I'm assuming they don't make open-backed wireless headphones because there are too many electronics that prevent the open-backed design.

You don't necessarily need open-backed headphones for gaming though... pro gamers wear earbuds under over-ear headphones during tournaments, so a wide soundstage is a pretty marginal benefit.

I really like the wide soundstage of Beyerdynamic's DT 770 Pro, and it looks like their MMX 200 headset is similar. I have a mega huge head and big ears, and the DT770 is very comfortable for me.

I personally wear IEMs for gaming (7Hz Timeless).

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Yeah what you're looking for doesn't really exist, i know some bluetooth open-backs exist but the specific configuration you're wanting doesn't appear to exist, since you didn't give a budget i'll hold off recommending anything, ears getting too hot is usually a material issue, the skin directly touching the earpad gets warm because of insulation, body thinks the entire side of your head is getting too hot and sweats to try and cool down, usually light fabric earpads and low clamp forces solve this

There's some open-back bluetooth headphones but that's pretty much it for that.

You could always try to hack some old wireless headphones and stuff their insides into open-back headphones or DIY some kind of box for those insides and connect headphones to that.

One possibility would be to get wireless monitoring system, as in one of those that musicians use on stages. You need to do the research what is good and what is not but I can say that much, be sure to see that they are stereo and keep eye on the RX side impedance because those are meant to power IEM's which means they probably won't have the power to run high impedance headphones. They are a possible solution but I won't give any guarantees that they are a good solution, they usually have latency lower or around 5ms and usually have just TRRS connector so any headphone will go with them, but the sound quality, price and can they run the headphones are big questions that you need to find the answers. I can say old Sennheiser Evolution series system had the capability to do VR with, not that great sound quality at least with cheap IEM's and used price was already like 400€ or something around there, it worked but that's pretty much it.

Thanks for the ideas. I don't think the wireless monitoring system fits with the goal which is convenience. What a bummer no one makes wireless open headphones! I guess they figure there's no market, but I think if most people tried open headphones they would prefer them. They're doomed by being rare to begin with