Windows 98 "Parameter is incorrect" error when moving files

da na

I burned a stack of DVDs with files to move to my Windows 98 system as that is the easiest way to transfer files. 
Large files, though (It seems to be above 2GB?) throw an error: "Cannot create file xxxxx: The parameter is incorrect". 

My boot drive (500GB Hitachi DeskStar) is formatted in NTFS which shouldn't have a filesize limit. 

I can open these files with WinRAR without any issue, as they are compressed .ZIPs. WinRAR will read the entire file and extract it, but extraction from DVD is extremely slow and I would much rather move the files to the HDD first.

Can I not use files of such large capacity on Windows 98? I've never dealt with files this large on the OS before so I have no clue. 

Should I split my ZIPs to several volumes of 1.5GB or something? 

What hardware are you running this on?

Which NTFS driver do you have installed?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

5 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

What hardware are you running this on?

Which NTFS driver do you have installed?

Running it on an unbranded ITX board with VIA VT8604 chipset and Celeron 1000 (Coppermine) CPU, 256MB RAM.

Booting from 500GB Hitachi Deskstar ATA.

As for the NTFS driver, I have not installed any alternative drivers for the filesystem. Just using built-in NTFS w/ large disk support as formatted from Setup.

🤔 in my recollection... win98 SE never realy supported ntfs... just fat32..  and mbr.. 

and yeah.. splitting large sizes was a known trick back in the day.. and a pain.. 

4 minutes ago, Robchil said:

🤔 in my recollection... win98 SE never realy supported ntfs... just fat32..  and mbr.. 

Thank you for the correction. Don't know why I thought my C:\ was NTFS, it's FAT32.

Should still have a max filesize of 4GB though, right?

2 minutes ago, da na said:

Thank you for the correction. Don't know why I thought my C:\ was NTFS, it's FAT32.

Should still have a max filesize of 4GB though, right?

yeah.. max file size is 4GB...  somewhere i read it's 2TB volume size... but that's actually mbr limit and why we use gpt..