New Ryzen 7000 pc restarts randomly

jannismar

I build a new PC with a Ryzen 7600x and some 6400MT ram. The pc just randomly restarts sometimes without a blue screen or similar. This is on a fresh windows install. Memtest86 returned 0 errors. I can run benchmarks on CPU and GPU and it's fine, temps are also looking normal for an ITX build. Games Crash randomly as well, but otherwise things run normal. One game (Destiny 2) crashed with a corruption error, which was fixed from verifying files in steam, which fixed the issue for about an hour, when I got the error again. I am thinking either RAM or CPU, but I am honestly puzzled on what this could be, as there are never any errors given.

How much have you tested with Memtest?

Try TM5 with 1usmus_v3 profile and let it complete at least 25 passes without error. You'll have to probably edid the config file to change the max pass count.

Also try Core Cycler and let it run for at least two hours.

(don't interact with PC when any of those are running)

I did just the default testing with 4 passes. I'll definitely run both tests you recommended and report back. Anything in particular I'm looking for or just generally hoping for it not to crash from it?

9 minutes ago, jannismar said:

I did just the default testing with 4 passes. I'll definitely run both tests you recommended and report back. Anything in particular I'm looking for or just generally hoping for it not to crash from it?

TM5 generaly finds errors significantly faster with a good config.

I was just doing memory overclocking for the past 3-4 weeks on my main PC and for example the paid RAM Test from Karhu passed 12000% in over 12h without an error and TM5 found error within first 10minutes.

The system is basically unusable while this runs as it will almost max out your RAM to 100% and it may crash due to running out of memory if you interact with the PC.

Regarding Core Cycler it's possible your CPU may encounter instability when hitting the max boost clocks. Core Cycler will let individual cores boost to it's maximum clocks briefly and cycle between them to test the stability of max frequencies. If you''ll use your PC while this is running it wont let the cores boost properly.

You said that the temps are fine, does that include the ssd?

Perhaps it gets so overheated that even if it tries to thermal throttle it'll fail to lower its temp, especially in a smaller ITX case?

Posted (edited)

Ok so I've ran CoreCycle for 2 hours with no problem and no weird behavior during or after the test. As for SSD temps @Mumintroll, my Gen 4 M.2 maxes out at 75C while still getting 7GB/s reads and 5GB/s writes.

I started running TestMem, but stopped after about 3min because I forgot to run as admin. While trying to find the exe again File Explorer crashed and restarted 3 times and the desktop and taskbar refreshed because of it. File Explorer was then completely unusable with the file context menu not even appearing anymore. Shortly after I got a Blue screen that disappeared within a second, so I couldn't read the message.

I have observed that the crashes mostly happen during "Multitasking" (browsing the internet while downloading a game or transferring files)

Other thing might be the power supply but I think 600w for a 2070Super and a 7600x should be enough, right?

Edited by jannismar
minor spelling mistake

75 is way too hot for an ssd, it should not go above 70.

I have a gen 4 nvme ssd from Kingston, without a heatsink. If I write alot on it at once the temperature will slowly climb, once it reach 60 it'll thermal throttle and write at its half speed for awhile until the temps are about 50 again.

It could be that your ssd just turn off itself once it is above 70 for a period of time.

Generally ssd gets warmer when writing on it. If I'm only reading from it the temps stay at about 45.

(I only have some games on it, not my Windows)