DRAM issue on Z270 board, no post, run out of options...

Go to solution Solved by porina,

Take CPU out, inspect the socket and CPU contacts. Clean if necessary.

Trying to bring new life into my old main machine parts (these have been for the most part sitting in the open so for a while ive been skeptical of them even working).
Recently used them in a build but cannot get it to post with a DRAM failure light.

Here are the parts:
Motherboard: MSI Z270 SLI Plus

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED 16 GB 2666mhz CL16

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k

PSU: Corsair SF850L
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini

I got the build done relatively quickly but as mentioned above the system doesnt seem to make it past DRAM checks in order to boot, ive been browsing all over the internet for solutions.

I have:

• Reseated the RAM, removed one DIMM, inserted them into one of the other 3 slots available, reboot, repeat still DRAM light.
  • Tried known working DDR4 memory (in my current machine) still no boot, same error.
  • Tried a brand new kit of LPX memory, still no boot with the same troubleshooting steps as above.
  • Reseated the CPU Cooler as posts online say Z270 boards are abit fragile with motherboard bend?? but still no boot.
  • Removed the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS, left it out for 5minutes, placed it back in, still no boot.
  • Rubbing the sticks with rubber??? (yes im desperate).

Ive attached in this post images and video of the build as well as the EZ Debug LEDs displaying DRAM error, to be clear the lights flash CPU then DRAM and STAY on DRAM for a couple seconds and reset, from the motherboard manual this indicates a RAM failure of some sort. Not sure at this point what to do as im thinking this could be a motherboard issue. Any tips or guidance would be helpful.

Cheers.

EDIT: No GPU as i wanted to use these old parts/pc as a home lab to try somethings out on it.

20240412_222754.jpg

20240414_011929.jpg

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

use 1 dram.. if it still fails.. try the second... if it works then first one is defect. if not.. try one in each of the slots.. should only be first 2. since they are first in each channel.  most don't work with only one in second channel slot.. 

2 hours ago, Robchil said:

use 1 dram.. if it still fails.. try the second... if it works then first one is defect. if not.. try one in each of the slots.. should only be first 2. since they are first in each channel.  most don't work with only one in second channel slot.. 

Sorry if my post wasn't clear enough, I've already done this and to be sure I've done it with all dram slots with 3 different sticks of ram. Its why I'm theorising it to be motherboard issue.

9 hours ago, porina said:

I don't necessarily think this would work but since the CPU talks to the DRAM I can see why, but even then the DRAM lights are clearly showing to be at fault. I'll give it a go anyways and let you know the results 

If you had a code reader/display it would probrably be showing POST code 55 which indicates a RAM problem.

One thing it could be:
Remove the CPU and CAREFULLY check the pins to see if one hasn't shifted to one side from being a tad loose in the socket - Note you're not looking for a bent pin but one that's actually shifted over to one side/out of place when looking for it.

Best indicator is to look at a group of pin tips and see if any tips do not match the pattern others around it have. If you see one that's not "Right" then that's probrably it......
And there could be more than one pin like it in the socket so you'll have to look carefully for it.
Using a magnifying glass/visor with a light is the best way to go about finding and fixing it.

Simple fix is to just move the pin back into alignment with the others if you find one that way and it should work BUT also remember which pin it was for future reference if you swap CPU's in the board again.

I know that because I have one that has a loose pin that will shift to one side and cause a Code 55 RAM error. I just go into the socket, move the pin back into alignment, carefully reinstall the CPU and it's off and running again...... Until the next time it does it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

34 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

If you had a code reader/display it would probrably be showing POST code 55 which indicates a RAM problem.

One thing it could be:
Remove the CPU and CAREFULLY check the pins to see if one hasn't shifted to one side from being a tad loose in the socket - Note you're not looking for a bent pin but one that's actually shifted over to one side/out of place when looking for it.

Best indicator is to look at a group of pin tips and see if any tips do not match the pattern others around it have. If you see one that's not "Right" then that's probrably it......
And there could be more than one pin like it in the socket so you'll have to look carefully for it.
Using a magnifying glass/visor with a light is the best way to go about finding and fixing it.

Simple fix is to just move the pin back into alignment with the others if you find one that way and it should work BUT also remember which pin it was for future reference if you swap CPU's in the board again.

I know that because I have one that has a loose pin that will shift to one side and cause a Code 55 RAM error. I just go into the socket, move the pin back into alignment, carefully reinstall the CPU and it's off and running again...... Until the next time it does it.

Thanks for the detailed reply and suggestion, won't have time to do that but will post the results later here when I do have time.

1 hour ago, naazynaaz said:

I don't necessarily think this would work but since the CPU talks to the DRAM I can see why, but even then the DRAM lights are clearly showing to be at fault. I'll give it a go anyways and let you know the results 

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

One thing it could be:

Ok I lied and I have time, I pulled out the CPU and had a look a the pins, I don't see any issues other than a bit of dust which Ive cleaned off. And it boots!! Thanks heaps 

21 hours ago, naazynaaz said:

Ok I lied and I have time, I pulled out the CPU and had a look a the pins, I don't see any issues other than a bit of dust which Ive cleaned off. And it boots!! Thanks heaps 

That's the important part of it.
Good job.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.