A future with only passively cooled ARM chips

kasdashd
3 hours ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

When you look at the big picture....

0_i9YWV74MN4lidT_M.webp.77c6e5a968247aceed3b66abccb6a221.webp

How about a time period that allowed humans to live?

I could show a graph from 4.5 billion years ago when earth was covered by Magma untill the time our sun expires in a few billion years and Earth cooled to 3K space ambient temperature. Then we can claim in the end it will be colder again.... But at none of the extreme ends we can live. So that isn't helpful at all 

Nature will adapt to changes. Nature survived the big asteroid that exterminated the dinosaurs. I'm not worried about all life to end. But we humans may not be part of that new equilibrium that will form with new temperatures. At least many humans won't be able to live in all areas currently populated. You think there is a crisis at the border now. Wait till billions of people lose their ability to drink and eat or not to drown or survive storms. Or just imagine all those desert people from Arizona etc. moving to wetter and colder US areas. Millions of people being displaced just within the country 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

3 hours ago, Lurking said:

How about a time period that allowed humans to live?

I could show a graph from 4.5 billion years ago when earth was covered by Magma untill the time our sun expires in a few billion years and Earth cooled to 3K space ambient temperature. Then we can claim in the end it will be colder again.... But at none of the extreme ends we can live. So that isn't helpful at all 

Nature will adapt to changes. Nature survived the big asteroid that exterminated the dinosaurs. I'm not worried about all life to end. But we humans may not be part of that new equilibrium that will form with new temperatures. At least many humans won't be able to live in all areas currently populated. You think there is a crisis at the border now. Wait till billions of people lose their ability to drink and eat or not to drown or survive storms. Or just imagine all those desert people from Arizona etc. moving to wetter and colder US areas. Millions of people being displaced just within the country 

As humans... We adapt to Mother Nature, not the other way around.

Imagine all the humans that at one time lived and flourished around what we now know as the Bonnieville Salt Flats, which at one time was a massive body of water.

But Mother Nature made changes and humans adapted.

Then again... as panicky and self serving that the human race is now, it is sure to lead to total chaos.

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

2 hours ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

As humans... We adapt to Mother Nature, not the other way around.

Imagine all the humans that at one time lived and flourished around what we now know as the Bonnieville Salt Flats, which at one time was a massive body of water.

But Mother Nature made changes and humans adapted.

Then again... as panicky and self serving that the human race is now, it is sure to lead to total chaos.

Yes, humans will be fine... after a lot of suffering and dumb shit that can be avoided by not doing an unprecedented rate of change only last seen when an asteroid hit Yucatán and took out the dinos. 

there is no aquaman out there buying those houses. 

19 minutes ago, starsmine said:

Yes, humans will be fine... after a lot of suffering and dumb shit that can be avoided by not doing an unprecedented rate of change only last seen when an asteroid hit Yucatán and took out the dinos. 

there is no aquaman out there buying those houses. 

Calm down. It's not that bad.

And it's not our doing.

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

23 minutes ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

Calm down. It's not that bad.

And it's not our doing.

Ironically you are right, its not as bad as the asteroid that hit the Yucatan, Because I meant it to be the worst rate of change since then, not a rate of change that matched it. 

and because of global decarbonization efforts to put a cap to the damage

But you are the type of person who is driving at a brick wall at 80mph, and when someone hits the brakes so you only hit it at 20mph and it hurts like a bitch, but you go, "why did you hit the brakes, it wasn't going to be bad." And also somehow think the situation wasn't our fault. Now take this part of the analogy literally, even though we were the ones who hit the gas pedal to go 80mph in the first place.

And you will go the rest of your life thinking we hit the brakes for nothing because we didn't all die. 

=== Friendly Reminder ===

Let's keep threads on-topic, please.

• Discussing how our modern technology might negatively or positively impact climate change is a great topic.
  • Debating whether or not climate change is "real" is a different subject that doesn't really fit this thread's theme.
On 4/26/2024 at 7:36 PM, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

Anyway. Very likely that it all will be passively cooled end devices as a display for energy hungry cloud that does all of the compute. It is just the next logical step of software as service and everything is a website approach.

If ARM will be still the answer is once this happened is questionable. I would put my money on RISC-V winning the race for end devices with ARM being pushed back to legacy designs and high performance applications (e.g. server).

Based on where we're headed with ultra-low powered chips, I'm inclined to agree that end-user systems will end up being passively cooled. I'd even argue that all data centers are likely going to pave the way for efficient, sustainable civil engineering projects outside of the information technology industry, too.

Would be kind of neat to see all big-box stores adopt policies that put community gardens on the roof and solar panels over rows of existing parking lots, but I'd imagine that will never happen until governments tighten their regulation around corporations that operate in their country's. I can dream though...

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

the only way to solve climate change is with science and technology. a genetically engineered plant that intakes the most amount of CO2. these plants will need to be grown indoors, so people can bring CO2 in tanks from high CO2 areas and release it in the sealed rooms and let the plants convert the Co2 into oxygen. these filters need to be planted in strategic places on earth to balance the CO2 levels. Also recycling is extremely important. also space exploration for resources in space. taxing people for ruining the environment aint gonna do diddly for the earth.