Mute sound of a mechanical hard-drive?

Leahh

I have a Phanteks Eclipse G360A, and a mechanical harddrive mounted in the drive mounts. It's really loud and the vibrations resonate all around the case and my autism hates every second of it. What can I do to mute the drive, or atleast make it more quiet?

Thanks in advance!

1 minute ago, Leahh said:

I have a Phanteks Eclipse G360A, and a mechanical harddrive mounted in the drive mounts. It's really loud and the vibrations resonate all around the case and my autism hates every second of it. What can I do to mute the drive, or atleast make it more quiet?

Thanks in advance!

Nothing much besides replacing it. There might be a more silent model.
You could try and dampen the sound but not all drive mount let you dampen the vibrations.
Or you could go into power settings in your OS and have it turn of the drive after certain period.
But in use all of them make sound. While some are more silent then others, mechanical harddrives have a motor in them to rotate the platters, so they will always make some sound.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Obviously best way is to just buy an SSD, but on a budget just use foam or something

dynamat

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

Just now, Blasty Blosty said:

Obviously best way is to just buy an SSD, but on a budget just use foam or something

I'll see if i can find some foam and try stuffing it in with the drive, Thanks.

And buying a 2tb SSD would be expensive, for me. ( a 16 year old with no job)

Just now, Ripred said:

dynamat

It looks like they only sell in the US, I'm in Norway.

Most cases the drive sleds fit a little on the loose side, which allow them to vibrate and make noise. In every case I have I use double sided tape (the 3M moulding tape / VHB) and put it in a couple places on the drive sleds. Only peel the backing on the side that sticks to the side on the drive sled. The goal is to use the foam tape to tighten things up and dampen the vibrations, not to actually tape the sled into the case. That's why you leave the backing on the other side. 

I use this same method to eliminate case panel rattles from case fans etc. 

2 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Most cases the drive sleds fit a little on the loose side, which allow them to vibrate and make noise. In every case I have I use double sided tape (the 3M moulding tape / VHB) and put it in a couple places on the drive sleds. Only peel the backing on the side that sticks to the side on the drive sled. The goal is to use the foam tape to tighten things up and dampen the vibrations, not to actually tape the sled into the case. That's why you leave the backing on the other side. 

I use this same method to eliminate case panel rattles from case fans etc. 

that actually sounds really smart and easy, I'll try that! Over the weekend I'll try and get my hands on some, i'm guessing ~1-5mm thick double sided tape would work? Something like what I attached?

3M Command Hanging Strips White Large

2 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

The squishier the better

Alright, When i'm out looking I'll look for the squishiest command strip/double sided tape i can find and try it.

2 minutes ago, Leahh said:

that actually sounds really smart and easy, I'll try that! Over the weekend I'll try and get my hands on some, i'm guessing ~1-5mm thick double sided tape would work? Something like what I attached?

This is basically what I use. (Amazon example) What you posted looked like the Velcro stuff?  Any type of the foam stuff should work. The like posted is usually sold at auto parts stores, hardware stores, general stores, etc.  

2 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

This is basically what I use. (Amazon example) What you posted looked like the Velcro stuff?  Any type of the foam stuff should work. The like posted is usually sold at auto parts stores, hardware stores, general stores, etc.  

Oh yea it is lmao, I'll look for what you sent.

Thanks for the answer!

Alright, When i'm out looking I'll look for the squishiest command strip/double sided tape i can find and try it.

Check the insulation department at the hardware store for rolls of self-adhesive foam meant for sealing windows. It's going to be much better at cushioning than foam mounting tape.

The old-school trick was to mount the drive in a 5.25" bay suspended by rubber bands, or to use rubber grommets that touched the case as little as possible.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

15 minutes ago, Leahh said:

It looks like they only sell in the US, I'm in Norway.

there should be an equivalent, if theirs a car audio moding scene in your country they'll definitely have something, its just a sound deadening mat used to stop vibrations from large car subwoofers 

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

29 minutes ago, Leahh said:

make it more quiet?

Replace it with an SSD.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Back in 2007-8 I was an idiot and mounted a HDD suspended with rubber bands. I'll tell you what, I didn't hear it. 😆

35 minutes ago, Agall said:

Replace it with an SSD.

As I've already said, It's too expensive for me.

2 minutes ago, Leahh said:

As I've already said, It's too expensive for me.

You'll then have to find some scrap foam to attenuate the sound waves its creating. You could also do what I did and poke a hole through the wall into a neighboring room (my laundry room in my case) so you can have your PC in a whole other room. Eliminates the sound+heat from it at your desk.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

14 minutes ago, Robchil said:

try this one.. https://www.biltema.no/bygg/teip/pvc-teip/monteringsteip-2000021445

between hd and bottom plate.. and cut a thin strip for the bottom of the rail on the sled .. 

I ended up with this, I hope it works. If it doesn't I'll check out that one. It's not available in my city though so it'll take some time in shipping if I have to try that one.

But for now I have to try out the one I've got.

I ended up with this, I hope it works. If it doesn't I'll check out that one. It's not available in my city though so it'll take some time in shipping if I have to try that one.

same same.. just cost more 😄 it's slimmer it seems. 

1 minute ago, Robchil said:

same same.. just cost more 😄 it's slimmer it seems. 

yea, but putting two strips on it isn't that big of a problem 😄

1 hour ago, Leahh said:

A friend of mine had a similar issue and he bought one of these. Cut out so it was the size of the harddrive and poked holes with a screwdriver where the screws have to fit through. Mounted it between the harddrive sled and the harddrive itself to dampen the vibrations going out into the case.
Worked pretty well for him. Worth a shot if the tape does not work 🙂