What was the first AIO with a VRM fan?

RevGAM
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

For custom loops Alphacool, barrow, byski,... did have blocks with fan mounts on them way back.

But aio wise I think arctic was the first with the freezer 2. Now enermax and asus are starting to do it too as it does flat out help cool the stuff

Some niche air coolers had the option to have a second fan for vram cooling down low. That and bac in the day downdraft coolers werent uncommon

I know that several companies have implemented this idea (was it an Asetek idea, or did some other company come up with it first? Which model?), including Asus, MSI, Enermax, Arctic and SilverStone. But which company originally implemented it?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 馃槈 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.馃お馃槀

I only know of Arctic that does it, but I am not well versed in the world of liquid.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

For custom loops Alphacool, barrow, byski,... did have blocks with fan mounts on them way back.

But aio wise I think arctic was the first with the freezer 2. Now enermax and asus are starting to do it too as it does flat out help cool the stuff

Some niche air coolers had the option to have a second fan for vram cooling down low. That and bac in the day downdraft coolers werent uncommon

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

But aio wise I think arctic was the first

Helpful! Did Arctic use their own pump, or one from an OEM like Asetek?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 馃槈 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Arctic uses their own stuff AFAIK.聽

Do you mean the LF3, or the previous ones, too? I know you're correct for the LF3.

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

I know that several companies have implemented this idea (was it an Asetek idea, or did some other company come up with it first? Which model?), including Asus, MSI, Enermax, Arctic and SilverStone. But which company originally implemented it?

I assume this is excluding something like the NZXT Kraken G10.

NZXT Kraken G10 Review - Overclockers Club

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012聽 //聽 Professional since 2017

1 minute ago, Agall said:

I assume this is excluding something like the NZXT Kraken G10.

NZXT Kraken G10 Review - Overclockers Club

If you're talking about an AIB, yes.

3 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

If you're talking about an AIB, yes.

The G10 is an attachment that replaces the cooling shroud and heatsink of a GPU with a water cooling mount and VRAM/VRM fan mount for you to add your own fan (i believe? Or does it have its own an already attached?) to to cool the other components

System specs:

CPU:聽Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage:聽2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List:聽https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

20 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Helpful! Did Arctic use their own pump, or one from an OEM like Asetek?

The lf2 and 3 are from arctic

29 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Do you mean the LF3, or the previous ones, too? I know you're correct for the LF3.

LF 2 & 3. I don't know what was the 1st one.聽