Computer preventitive maintenance plan

Yosh1

Hi, 

currently looking at expanding my IT support services and offering a maintenance plan for my clients.

Thinking remotely access devices once a month (Maybe once a quarter is enough?) to perform Microsoft updates, manufacturer updates, check for junk, make sure things are optimized etc and charge a set amount each month?

I know B2B IT support is a different price plan compared to domestic (sometimes as much as £150/$190 per month per PC).

Not too sure on what to charge per month especially with the majority of my clients being domestic?

Will have to send out an email to all my clients to advertise this service then setup the direct debit and get things rolling.

What are you going to use to connect remotely?
What will the monthly licensing be for that?

3 minutes ago, tkitch said:

What are you going to use to connect remotely?
What will the monthly licensing be for that?

I'm current already using Zoho assist. Costing me £18/month ($22.60) with 40 unattended licenses.  

i used to work at a place that did this, the way we (we being the team that did the maintenances, not management) found the concept to make the most sense is the following:

- every 6 months, scheduled around the releases of windows build updates.

- push trough any windows and driver updates that are available.

- do the standard array of sfc scan, dism, and disk cleanup to make sure all is clean and good.

- ideally combine this with any pending questions or preferences the client has. if they occasionally need help with something, this is the time to sort that  out.

- ofcourse also give the hardware a propper cleaning, if the customer is able to bring the computer in.

as for how much to charge.. it depends. ideally you want to price it to where enough customers buy the option for it to make sense to do it, but still have enough profit for the opportunity cost to make sense.

again, the place i worked that did this, it was a significant timeshare of the support team, to the point where the profitability of it all was often questioned.

Perhaps something to consider is not remoting in to perform scheduled maintenance - instead, look into some products that allow you to remotely trigger basics like updates and cleanups without having to sit down and do it by hand?

1 hour ago, windozedev said:

Sounds like a lot of repetitive labor. You could do all of that via time/event scheduled tasks to run a script, and be done with it.

Been advised about Active1 which runs patch management etc for you and allows upto 100 devices.

Might look into that but also need to consider direct debits and the contract side of things.

Then the email to promote to my clients with the option to sign up.