Two new RM1000e PSU doesn't work but old CV550 does.

vBunnee

I've built quite a decent amount of system over the years and I've never faced this issue.

So I got a new PSU Corsair RM1000e. It worked fine without issue for a month but then my PC started giving me issues. The lights on motherboard were looping between CPU and Dram. I have a gigabyte Aorus b450 motherboard.

I thought its a RAM issue but it all worked after a few restarts. It stopped working again after I tried again.

Skipping all the trial and error I did( Re-seating the RAM, taking all sticks out and keeping only one)

I plugged in my old PSU Corsair CV550 and it worked in the first try and it just worked with it no issues. As soon as I plug the new one in, it had the same issue.

I figured its a PSU issue and it blew somehow so I RMA it and I got a brand new one. I plugged the new PSU again, it worked the first time but after a restart it did the same thing. I did use all the new cables that came with the new RMA PSU unit. No old cables were used. It worked intermittently with the RM1000e(Both the brand new one and RMA brand new unit) doesn't work anymore and my motherboard loops between CPU and DRAM lights, but my system works flawlessly with the OLD 550W PSU

I'm stuck here, if anyone else has faced issues like this before ?

TLDR: OLD CV550 PSU works fine but two new PSU (RM1000e) does not.

Any input will be helpful.

Parts:

• CPU: Ryzen 5 3700x w/ AIO

• Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus

• GPU: RTX 4070 Ti Super

• PSU: RM1000e (Modular)

• Backup PSU: Corsair CV550

• RAM: DDR4 2133MHz 8GB x4

You don't happen to have a multimeter on hand do you?
It sounds like you can get into OS with the 1000,  can you look at HWInfo and see the reported voltages?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

There is a small chance you lost the PSU lottery *twice*, but it's not that likely. I'd suspect something wonky going on with the mobo. 

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

39 minutes ago, vBunnee said:

I've built quite a decent amount of system over the years and I've never faced this issue.

So I got a new PSU Corsair RM1000e. It worked fine without issue for a month but then my PC started giving me issues. The lights on motherboard were looping between CPU and Dram. I have a gigabyte Aorus b450 motherboard.

I thought its a RAM issue but it all worked after a few restarts. It stopped working again after I tried again.

Skipping all the trial and error I did( Re-seating the RAM, taking all sticks out and keeping only one)

I plugged in my old PSU Corsair CV550 and it worked in the first try and it just worked with it no issues. As soon as I plug the new one in, it had the same issue.

I figured its a PSU issue and it blew somehow so I RMA it and I got a brand new one. I plugged the new PSU again, it worked the first time but after a restart it did the same thing. I did use all the new cables that came with the new RMA PSU unit. No old cables were used. It worked intermittently with the RM1000e(Both the brand new one and RMA brand new unit) doesn't work anymore and my motherboard loops between CPU and DRAM lights, but my system works flawlessly with the OLD 550W PSU

I'm stuck here, if anyone else has faced issues like this before ?

TLDR: OLD CV550 PSU works fine but two new PSU (RM1000e) does not.

Any input will be helpful.

Parts:

• CPU: Ryzen 5 3700x w/ AIO

• Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus

• GPU: RTX 4070 Ti Super

• PSU: RM1000e (Modular)

• Backup PSU: Corsair CV550

• RAM: DDR4 2133MHz 8GB x4

Very weird, never heard of a new working PSU that did that...

Could it be some short on the board that may occur or disappear when you bulid/change things ?

I'd try to power on the rig outside of a case

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

3 hours ago, OddOod said:

You don't happen to have a multimeter on hand do you?
It sounds like you can get into OS with the 1000,  can you look at HWInfo and see the reported voltages?

I dont, I was able to reach the OS sometimes but since yesterday, I am not able to even do that.
I should check the voltages by the multi meter if its providing correct voltages ?

2 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Very weird, never heard of a new working PSU that did that...

Could it be some short on the board that may occur or disappear when you bulid/change things ?

I'd try to power on the rig outside of a case

I initially thought that too, but swapping back and fourth, with both the power supplies outside the case, just plugging in the 24pin and CPU power, I swapped between the two PSU atleast 25-30 times now, and it behaves the same everytime.

3 hours ago, OddOod said:

There is a small chance you lost the PSU lottery *twice*, but it's not that likely. I'd suspect something wonky going on with the mobo. 

Thats what I though, I'm waiting for their rep to send me either another series of PSU or another unit atleast.

have you tried to start the PSU just to test with jumper on the 24 pin cable? .. if you short pin 3 and 4 top row if the lock is up from the left. .. the paperclip test.  but connect something to it to see it works.. like a fan pump or something.. fan hub..  with fan.