Upgrade Recommendation From Poco F1

Go to solution Solved by Somerandomtechyboi,
On 4/11/2024 at 8:46 PM, Agent Squirrel said:

I'm eyeing Pocophone X6 Pro, which is well under my budget, what do you guys think about it?

Looks like a good choice though you wont be able to do custom roms and stuff cause mediatek so complete nono in that regard, but if you dont intend to run custom roms or recoveries then looks like a solid phone though tbh id still pick the f5 or f5 pro/k60 instead

But if you are already looking at a mediatek phone why not the xiaomi 13t pro instead? Basically a flagship killer so id expect a better display camera and audio compared to the poco x6 pro and as a bonus the soc is also better seemingly abit better than an 8 gen 2 cpu wise

Unfortunate that you cant custom rom and modding is hard on mediatek phones considering how cheap they are and now their dimensity chips are really good and actually compete or outright beat snapdragons compared to their helio trash from years ago, id go dimensity no questions asked if it werent for no custom roms

Btw what country?

And where are you buying from?

I mostly used my phone to watch videos, movies, or shows, so a decent screen is a must.

I also frequently play games on my phone, so performance is also important.

I live in SEA, and my budget can't stray too far from $500 USD.

All other features such as headphone jack is a nice to have, but optional.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Agent Squirrel said:

I mostly used my phone to watch videos, movies, or shows, so a decent screen is a must.

I also frequently play games on my phone, so performance is also important.

I live in SEA, and my budget can't stray too far from $500 USD.

All other features such as headphone jack is a nice to have, but optional.

Thank you.

If you don't mind refurbished (excellent) there's the oneplus 12R 8GB/128GB for $460 but it doesn't have a headphone jack 😔 Amazon.com: OnePlus 12R, 8GB RAM+128GB, Dual-SIM, US Factory Unlocked Android Smartphone, 5500 mAh Battery, 50MP Camera, 80W Fast Charging, 2024, Iron Gray : Everything Else

For iOS I found a 13 Pro for $530 but if you're on android I assume you wouldn't want to swap (btw this is also refurbished) Amazon.com: Apple iPhone 13 Pro, 128GB, Sierra Blue - Unlocked (Renewed) : Cell Phones & Accessories

The 12R is basically the best option I could find for android

Edited by filpo

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

17 minutes ago, Agent Squirrel said:

I also frequently play games on my phone, so performance is also important

im personally interested in the redmi k60/k50 pro alongside the mi 12 (pro) as ive found them around 400$ used here in indo though you may be able to find them new for abit more just that for whatever reason i cant find em new here

for a new phone theres the poco f5 (~330$) and the f5 pro (dunno pricing for this one), the f5 pro is identical to the k60 but smaller battery

same interests as you but more emphasis on gaming and particularly cpu single core performance with no throttling bullshit cause i play mc bedrock on mobile somewhat competitively and it pisses me off to no end when a 1000$+ flagshit like my moms note 20 ultra throttles and fps goes from a smooth 120 to 30fps, absolute nonsense from a top of the line flagship that costs that much, literally just a glorified camera with a good screen and audio at that point

xiaomis depreciate very quickly so you can get a xiaomi from a year or 2 ago and get a noticable discount especially used, specs are also very good for the price and theres a massive community surrounding these xiaomis especially flagship killers like the poco f5 so its very easy to root and custom rom if you dont like miui alongside other stuff like custom kernels, and i think theres also a way to disable cpu throttling completely on miui once youve rooted the phone

btw what particular games do you play? cause anything gpu heavy and you may wanna steer clear of the poco f5 since the 7+ gen 2 is basically an 8 gen 1 in terms of cpu performance but iirc around half gpu performance wise

9 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

btw what particular games do you play? cause anything gpu heavy and you may wanna steer clear of the poco f5 since the 7+ gen 2 is basically an 8 gen 1 in terms of cpu performance but iirc around half gpu performance wise

Say I might want to play COD Mobile, or Genshin Impact (I don't really play those, but are they a good representation of how demanding mobile games these days?), would the Redmi, or Mi suffice? I don't really mind if it doesn't reach 60fps.

Does the Realme GTS 5 Pro fit that budget in your country (IF it's at all available)? Really good specs and about comparable in price to a mid range Samsung like the A55, but has pretty good flagship specs in the 8 Gen 3 chipset, 256/12GB, 256/16GB config and up....144Hz screen, 6.78" screen.....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2 hours ago, GamerDude said:

Does the Realme GTS 5 Pro fit that budget in your country (IF it's at all available)? Really good specs and about comparable in price to a mid range Samsung like the A55, but has pretty good flagship specs in the 8 Gen 3 chipset, 256/12GB, 256/16GB config and up....144Hz screen, 6.78" screen.....

Realme GT5 Pro? It's a bit pricey where I'm at, I don't need top of the line device, and just wanted the most that I can get out of my budget.

56 minutes ago, Agent Squirrel said:

Realme GT5 Pro? It's a bit pricey where I'm at, I don't need top of the line device, and just wanted the most that I can get out of my budget.

12R was the best I could find. But it is refurbished

Current parts list

5 hours ago, filpo said:

12R was the best I could find. But it is refurbished

Yeah, the amazon link you gave me have a hefty shipping price, and apperantly refurbished phone is not a very popular thing where I'm at. So that's out of the picture. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I'm eyeing Pocophone X6 Pro, which is well under my budget, what do you guys think about it?

52 minutes ago, Agent Squirrel said:

That's not a bad choice. you're also not losing a lot in terms of other specs compared to the 12R so sure

Current parts list

14 hours ago, Agent Squirrel said:

Yeah, that looks good enough for even heavier usage, battery size looks good,  6.67"120Hz display, pretty solid specs. CPU may not be the best but is pretty good....if it's within your budget, plus if it's locally warrantied, go for it!

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

On 4/11/2024 at 8:46 PM, Agent Squirrel said:

Looks like a good choice though you wont be able to do custom roms and stuff cause mediatek so complete nono in that regard, but if you dont intend to run custom roms or recoveries then looks like a solid phone though tbh id still pick the f5 or f5 pro/k60 instead

But if you are already looking at a mediatek phone why not the xiaomi 13t pro instead? Basically a flagship killer so id expect a better display camera and audio compared to the poco x6 pro and as a bonus the soc is also better seemingly abit better than an 8 gen 2 cpu wise

Unfortunate that you cant custom rom and modding is hard on mediatek phones considering how cheap they are and now their dimensity chips are really good and actually compete or outright beat snapdragons compared to their helio trash from years ago, id go dimensity no questions asked if it werent for no custom roms

Btw what country?

On 4/12/2024 at 10:21 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Btw what country?

I'm not really comfortable disclousing that, but your replies gave me enough information to have an informed choice. Thank you.

3 hours ago, Agent Squirrel said:

I'm not really comfortable disclousing that, but your replies gave me enough information to have an informed choice. Thank you.

Btw you cant be doxxed with that 1 very vague point, youd literally have to give your ip address or house address or something then youd have a reasonable fear of being doxxed, not like anyones really trying to target you or anything unless youve managed to really piss someone off

If you are interested in custom roms and rooting you should avoid mediatek, otherwise mediatek phones are usually cheaper and specced equivalently if not better than the snapdragon its competing against

And for stuff like display and audio your probably want a flagship or a phone thats similar enough to a flagship cause usually flagship killers tend to cheap out on the audio and display alongside camera in favor of specs which is great if you just game but not so great if you want it to be particularly good for watching stuff