GPU never stays 100% in any game

testeras

Why my gpu cant stay at 100% despite the fact that Vsync is off and i have unlimited fps which means gpu should generate as many frames as it can and be at full usage. Its only 100% all the times inside Benchmarks and really demanding games like ARK.

CS2 Deathmatch, my gpu is between 40-70%(Unstable fps). Premier 80-100% 

Roblox 

League of Legends

SCP SL

Content Warning

GTA V Online.............

All these games range from 50-80% and sometimes 100% but for few seconds.

i7 3770 is an overkill for rx 550 so why cant it stay 100%

Posted (edited)

you dont want 100% as that means there a problem but 95% is good. and because the cpu is doing work taking away from the gpu.

some games you can lock it at an serten fps but you have to have more then that fps. so say you want 60 fps locked you need like 100 fps or something. but fps jumping around means nothing. as long as your not geting lag spikes then who cares what fps you have.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

you dont want 100% as that means there a problem but 95% is good. and because the cpu is doing work taking away from the gpu.

some games you can lock it at an serten fps but you have to have more then that fps. so say you want 60 fps locked you need like 100 fps or something. but fps jumping around means nothing. as long as your not geting lag spikes then who cares what fps you have.

The fps is not locked, its set as unlimited which means that gpu should generate as much fps as possible  and stay  at 100% most of the time if there are no bottlenecks which im not aware of.

2 minutes ago, testeras said:

The fps is not locked, its set as unlimited which means that gpu should generate as much fps as possible till it cant anymore which means that it should reach 100% and stay there all the time if there are no bottlenecks which im not aware of.

no because there things in the game that use more power and use less power...

if it is peged at 100% that would mean a big bottle neck were the gpu cant keep up.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

I want to use full potential of my card, i want it on 100%.

Like some of those games should utilize my gpu to 100%.

The CS2 Deathmatch as i said keeps my card between 40-70% and my fps is unstable, i cant play competitive like this.

This card is performing worse in my pc than on youtube benchmarks where they have even worse rigs than mine and get better fps on higher resolutions than mine.

I7 3770 is capable of rx 580 or 1650 so it shouldn't be problem for my card (rx 550).

Can someone tell me what could be issue?

If I recall correcty a lot of the titles you mention are very CPU focused, so with that in mind, you are still probably cpu bound. Or maybe the RAM (How much do you have), or the game engine (although thats a bit far fetched ginven the age of your system).

In any case, don't fret so much about arbitrary percentages, and focus on whether you are able to enjoy the games you wanna play.

IF CS2 is too stuttery for you to play THAT should be the issue you wanna solve.

As a former i5 4690k owner, id say that your platform is getting rather old, so maybe, just maybe, your 12 year old cpu is starting to show its age.

If you wanna figure out where the issue is, you need to change one parameter at the time. So if you can borrow another gpu, put that in, and see if anything changes. Also try putting your gpu into a newer/faster system and see if that solves the bottleneck. If the GPU runs faster on a newer system, you know to look somewhere else.

Edit: So, i just looked at your system info on your profile. Im no expert, so please people, feel free to correct me, but 8 gb of ram, with a non-matched pair of 4 gb sticks, could very well be your issue. I remeber upgrading from 8 to 16 gb of DDR3 ram on my old cpu, and it helped me a ton playing Bannerlord. Otherwise my money is still on the CPU being old.

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

On 4/12/2024 at 7:38 AM, DeerDK said:

If I recall correcty a lot of the titles you mention are very CPU focused, so with that in mind, you are still probably cpu bound. Or maybe the RAM (How much do you have), or the game engine (although thats a bit far fetched ginven the age of your system).

In any case, don't fret so much about arbitrary percentages, and focus on whether you are able to enjoy the games you wanna play.

IF CS2 is too stuttery for you to play THAT should be the issue you wanna solve.

As a former i5 4690k owner, id say that your platform is getting rather old, so maybe, just maybe, your 12 year old cpu is starting to show its age.

If you wanna figure out where the issue is, you need to change one parameter at the time. So if you can borrow another gpu, put that in, and see if anything changes. Also try putting your gpu into a newer/faster system and see if that solves the bottleneck. If the GPU runs faster on a newer system, you know to look somewhere else.

Edit: So, i just looked at your system info on your profile. Im no expert, so please people, feel free to correct me, but 8 gb of ram, with a non-matched pair of 4 gb sticks, could very well be your issue. I remeber upgrading from 8 to 16 gb of DDR3 ram on my old cpu, and it helped me a ton playing Bannerlord. Otherwise my money is still on the CPU being old.

Ram usage is 80%, thats because im using lower resolution (1280x1024), if i were to have 1080p monitor i think my games wouldn't even start.

Cpu usage is about 40% in all games.

I had i5-2320 before and there wasnt a marginal difference when i switched to i7-3770.

If you think cpu is problem i could overclock it to 3.9Ghz to test if there is difference.

The lower gpu usage in CS2 happens when there are a lot of players in same lobby, mostly full server (the more players join, more gpu usage decreases)

It also could be slow  or unmatched ram as you were saying.

EDIT: here are my ram sticks:

Corsair CMX8GX3M2A 1600C9 

Kingston 9965413-028.A01LF

Both are UDIMM