Cloud III Wireless vs DT 770 pro

14 hours ago, Motifator said:

I don't know all about headphones, but I can give you safe advice on ditching that gamer headset and going with a dedicated mic.

In that case, you get to open a whole lot of other, much better options. If you're worried about your head getting warmed up, I might suggest the Sennheiser HD 25 Light. A lot of DJs swear by it from what I've seen. In general.

HyperX Ngenuity is just bad btw.

Oh fogot to mention , I'm looking for something over ear and closed back ( need to Block nosie and fans )

1 hour ago, bara9880 said:

Edit : correction I've looked at this video ( ending has the summary ) https://youtu.be/Nnk7ujbgOzs

Whelp, this thread is the prime example of “audio is incredibly subjective” lol

anyways, I love the 80ohm DT770’s so there’s really no wrong choice being made here.

I don’t understand the strong clamping force issue- I have a massive head and they’re the most comfortable headphones I’ve ever owned, and I’ve owned 3 different pairs in the past 12 years (I sold my first 2).

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

OP you seem to be really wanting purchase validation for the DT770's, but i can also understand audio review sites being terrible and contradicting a lot of information you get, here's a video that should really help you understand where the reviews and scores mislead unknowledgeable people into using their affiliate links 

Side note, it's fine if you just want to buy DT770, but your search for a "best" pushes some highly questionable information/ straight up wrong articles to you (the fact that you want a detachable cable should automatically discount Beyerdynamic lol) 

5 hours ago, bara9880 said:

I've looked at rtings.com , https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-vs-akg-k371/440/1671#:~:text=Our Verdict&text=The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO,prone to inconsistencies among users.

RTINGS are genuinely one of the worst audio review sites out there, just about everything they post is flat out wrong/ straight up misinformation. Even their frequency response graphs are often compensated and completely incomparable with every other audio review site out there 

10 hours ago, bara9880 said:

So for gaming you don't suggest having any of these things enabled ? , for something like CS , APEX , COD, valorant , and single player / story games 

Yes, disable surround. Even CS states that you should turn off any sound virtualisation outside of the game because it has its own HRTF audio system and like many other games stereo for headphones is the way to go. It has always been because you only have two drivers in a headphone. *Cough* *cough* Razer Tiamat

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

2 hours ago, Cocococo said:

RTINGS are genuinely one of the worst audio review sites out there, just about everything they post is flat out wrong/ straight up misinformation. Even their frequency response graphs are often compensated and completely incomparable with every other audio review site out there 

Nah they are decent because they have a pretty in-depth review of everything they review. Also, what do you mean that everything is flat out wrong?

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

7 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

Nah they are decent because they have a pretty in-depth review of everything they review. Also, what do you mean that everything is flat out wrong?

Uhhh I would say they have a wealth of data and questionable conclusions with the data.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

5 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Uhhh I would say they have a wealth of data and questionable conclusions with the data.

I guess lol

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

9 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

The RTINGS review style awards points for certain attributes a headphone has, how good they are for exercise, comfort and travel (very subjective and rates wireless ANC headphones very favourably) then also award points for neutral sound, quality for gaming and phone calls among a lot of other factors. This seems like a pretty good review format at first glance and could help narrow down searches, however... if it's purely incompetence or heavily biased in favour of affiliate link sales the result is the same, new releases from very big tech companies with generous affiliate link sales programmes (Bose and Sony in particular) get astronomically high ratings in categories they absolutely don't fit (Sony XM4's getting points for neutral sound is a joke, they're tuned almost exactly like early beats headphones) and very capable headphones from... less generous smaller manufacturers not being awarded comparable points to their competition. 

A lot of this stuff would be easily forgivable if it was a small crew with extremely limited resources not knowing what neutral sounds like or a tech journalist wanting to make money whilst typing up articles that they believe to be true. But RTINGS has a goddamn B&K-5128, pretty much anyone who's remotely interested in frequency response graphs would kill for a 5128 (hell it's why LTT Labs bought one, for all the use it appears to be getting) any credibility to the "oh maybe they just don't know better" theory vanishes with the 5128, and all RTINGS likes to do is give arbitrary scores that make no sense compared with their own reviews, along with compensating their frequency response graphs to a modified Harman curve so their data isn't even comparable to other publications and freelancers. 

I've almost certainly ripped a RTINGS article to shreds on these forums before but RTINGS just takes none of the steps needed to even try and be reputable to the hardcore audio communities that the site pretends to represent, why would they? Hardcore audio folk might not like the new product that sounds terrible and cancels noise worse than the previous model, posting a negative review might make the manufacturers stop sending them free stuff and affiliate link sales. The site is very much the IGN of audio reviews (What HI-FI is the Kotaku of audio) and once you start to notice the mistakes and unfair biases it just leaves you completely unable to trust anything they say, i used to really like RTINGS but after i saw articles get torn to shreds and read some especially bad reviews it killed them in my eyes. 

17 hours ago, Cocococo said:

The RTINGS review style awards points for certain attributes a headphone has, how good they are for exercise, comfort and travel (very subjective and rates wireless ANC headphones very favourably) then also award points for neutral sound, quality for gaming and phone calls among a lot of other factors. This seems like a pretty good review format at first glance and could help narrow down searches, however... if it's purely incompetence or heavily biased in favour of affiliate link sales the result is the same, new releases from very big tech companies with generous affiliate link sales programmes (Bose and Sony in particular) get astronomically high ratings in categories they absolutely don't fit (Sony XM4's getting points for neutral sound is a joke, they're tuned almost exactly like early beats headphones) and very capable headphones from... less generous smaller manufacturers not being awarded comparable points to their competition. 

A lot of this stuff would be easily forgivable if it was a small crew with extremely limited resources not knowing what neutral sounds like or a tech journalist wanting to make money whilst typing up articles that they believe to be true. But RTINGS has a goddamn B&K-5128, pretty much anyone who's remotely interested in frequency response graphs would kill for a 5128 (hell it's why LTT Labs bought one, for all the use it appears to be getting) any credibility to the "oh maybe they just don't know better" theory vanishes with the 5128, and all RTINGS likes to do is give arbitrary scores that make no sense compared with their own reviews, along with compensating their frequency response graphs to a modified Harman curve so their data isn't even comparable to other publications and freelancers. 

I've almost certainly ripped a RTINGS article to shreds on these forums before but RTINGS just takes none of the steps needed to even try and be reputable to the hardcore audio communities that the site pretends to represent, why would they? Hardcore audio folk might not like the new product that sounds terrible and cancels noise worse than the previous model, posting a negative review might make the manufacturers stop sending them free stuff and affiliate link sales. The site is very much the IGN of audio reviews (What HI-FI is the Kotaku of audio) and once you start to notice the mistakes and unfair biases it just leaves you completely unable to trust anything they say, i used to really like RTINGS but after i saw articles get torn to shreds and read some especially bad reviews it killed them in my eyes. 

I've rarely even taken into account the "scores" they use as the rating thing. I mostly go there to see the frequency response, weight and some other measurements. But cool I guess

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

20 hours ago, Cocococo said:

If I have to have a mic attached , do you the think the mmx300 are good fit? ( I've read that they have the same drivers as the DT 770 )

Having owned the DT770 Pro 80s for a decade, I love these headphones.   I find them very comfortable, however my DT880 250ohms Premium is slightly more comfortable probably..  but still quite good.    Some sort of amp is going to probably be required for the DT770 as you pc's audio output is probably not going to drive these that well.     I am a big fan of the V-shaped "fun" sound signature and the DT770's have this sound signature..  

If you are in warm weather, the DT770's do get warm if wearing for long periods of time.    This has never been a problem for myself as I rarely (never) use headphones for more that 45min~1hr tops..  but if listening for hours could get rather warm.      The DT770's are built like brick **** houses , they are much more robust than the the Shure 840's (ask me about my broken hinges on my 840.. no that's the whole story they broke)  The Rode NTH-100 looks like the hinges will break if you look them sideways... but I haven't had them in my hands.    But I am pretty confident the DT770's are much more robust. 

The beyers can also be entirely rebuilt if needs do to spares being available.   

Personally I would remove the Cloud III from your considerations as HP bought them and ruined them as HP is want to do.   

TLDR: blah blah sound is pretty (entirely subjective) so what I like or some other person likes may not be what you like, ideally listen before you buy or buy from some place with a decent return policy at the very least.

On 4/7/2024 at 6:45 PM, bara9880 said:

If I have to have a mic attached , do you the think the mmx300 are good fit? ( I've read that they have the same drivers as the DT 770 )

What you want is entirely up to you, i thought attached mics are why you were looking at a HyperX headset to begin with? Like i've said before, Shure 440A, 840A and Rode NTH-100 are much better closed back headphones with great manufacturer support, finding a compatible mic may be a bit of a struggle with the Shure's unique cable locking mechanism, Rode sells the NTH-100M specifically for this purpose. You can buy what you want, if you're only planning to PC game then a USB mic is a much better idea (USB mics sound better than headset mics) then you can just buy a good pair of headphones and not worry about mic quality ever again (seriously my Samson Meteor has been dropped dozens of times and still sounds better and clearer than either mic on my Audeze Maxwell headset) 

Thank you all for the suggestions and feedback , much appreciated 

On 4/5/2024 at 8:21 PM, bara9880 said:

Edit : correction I've looked at this video ( ending has the summary ) https://youtu.be/Nnk7ujbgOzs

When he say's the DT770 OWNS the nth-100.......... he is being very black and white.  This is NOT true by any reasonable person in the hobby.  I have the nth-100 and the dt-880-600 and the dt-1990-250 and purchased the dt-770-80 for a friend and gave them a ride while I had them.  The DT-770-80 is indeed an excellent pair of headphones, but to say it owns the Rode? It just doesn't, actually for many reasons I enjoy the nth-100 far more than even my 880, and while it isn't as technically good as the 1990 I kind of like the nth-100 a little better for the liveliness it has.

Another thing to consider, the nth-100 will sound 95% as good on a cheap dac/amp or onboard as it will a $1k dac/amp pairing.  I haven't test driven the beyer since upgrading my equipment and I haven't A/B tested the two side by side, but I honestly believe that the Rode is the better headphone.

Alllll thing's considered, someone claiming that one headphone OWNS another just doesn't have the right outlook in general.  Headphones are subjective in just about every way.  And unless it's something like the AKG 240-studio, Hifiman Deva, hifiman R7dx, soundmagic sp200 which are the only headphones that I categorize as pure garbage, there is rarely any owning going on.  Hell even the Koss Kph30ci is a rockstar and it's $30.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission