"New" GPU handles benchmark and stresstest but freeze PC in games.

Go to solution Solved by BiotechBen,
1 hour ago, Chameleonis said:

Its a Zalman ZM600-GSII - 600W. But the weird thing is, PC managed going trough benchmark easily for 30 minutes of testing with stable system and temperature, only games are an issue for much shorter period of time.

Sorry to tell ya this, but your PSU may be the problem. 

As for the inconsistent failure, check out the PC Tech Support Challenge from LTT where Linus was able to get a 550W seasonic unit to run a 3080 under synthetic loads, but failed when trying to run Minecraft.

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

(Is in tier E (avoid) ) 

Hi I upgraded the gpu in my pc from GTX1060 to GTX1070 to avoid buying a new pc for some time. (i7-7700; 16GB RAM; WIN10 64Bit on SSD).
The new gpu can handle the stresstest for tens of minutes easily (Furmark). During the stress test the gpu was stable at 70C. But if I turn on for example CS2 or RDR2, after 5 minutes my computer freezes. Even though GPU is not overheated. ( 0x8000400000000002 - Kernel-Power 41). 

My power supply is 600W and power need difference is something like 30W between the 2 GPUs.
That the computer froze after a few minutes of playing happened to me 5 times in a row. (After fifth time the computer would not even get into the BIOS and would boot and shut down in a circle. As shown in video below (Without "Beep")) After unplugging the power for a while, the computer worked again. (Again stresstest OK, games froze the computer after 5 minutes).

I changed my GPU again to GTX 1060 and CS2 plays just fine. I reinstalled all nvidia drivers but that didnt help.
Has anyone some suggestion? Thanks a lot ❤️

38 minutes ago, Chameleonis said:

My power supply is 600W

What 600w PSU is it? The difference between a low quality unit and a high quality unit can be the difference between one card working, and a slightly higher draw card not working

3 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

What 600w PSU is it? The difference between a low quality unit and a high quality unit can be the difference between one card working, and a slightly higher draw card not working

Its a Zalman ZM600-GSII - 600W. But the weird thing is, PC managed going trough benchmark easily for 30 minutes of testing with stable system and temperature, only games are an issue for much shorter period of time.

1 hour ago, Chameleonis said:

As for the inconsistent failure, check out the PC Tech Support Challenge from LTT where Linus was able to get a 550W seasonic unit to run a 3080 under synthetic loads, but failed when trying to run Minecraft.

(Is in tier E (avoid) ) 

On 4/5/2024 at 2:03 AM, BiotechBen said:

(Is in tier E (avoid) ) 

Thanks for suggestion. I havent realised there could be such difference between synthetic loads and real game.

On 4/5/2024 at 2:03 AM, BiotechBen said:

(Is in tier E (avoid) ) 

It turned out, that it wasnt faulty PSU, but faulty UPS (which i forgot to mention). Now i have plugged PC directly into the wall and new 1070 works well. Thanks for the suggestion it was power related.

3 hours ago, Chameleonis said:

It turned out, that it wasnt faulty PSU, but faulty UPS (which i forgot to mention). Now i have plugged PC directly into the wall and new 1070 works well. Thanks for the suggestion it was power related.

A faulty UPS will do that. I'd still suggest looking at replacing the PSU if possible as it's a low quality unit