Intel discloses $7 billion operating loss for chip-making unit

Si3Rra_7

Summary

Intel shares fell 4% at one point in extended trading Tuesday after the company revealed long-awaited financials for its semiconductor manufacturing business, commonly called the foundry business, in an SEC filing. Intel said its foundry business recorded an operating loss of $7 billion in 2023 on sales of $18.9 billion. That’s a wider loss than the $5.2 billion Intel reported in its foundry business in 2022 on $27.5 billion in sales.

image.png.568a093b9412bc4c610a6610c3dfe601.png

Quotes

Intel  on Tuesday disclosed deepening operating losses for its foundry business, a blow to the chipmaker as it tries to regain a technology lead it lost in recent years to Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing.
Intel said the manufacturing unit had $7 billion in operating losses for 2023, a steeper loss than the $5.2 billion in operating losses the year before. The unit had revenue of $18.9 billion for 2023, down 31% from $27.49 billion the year before.

Intel shares were down 4.3% after the documents were filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
During a presentation for investors, Chief Executive Pat Gelsinger said 2024 would be the year of worst operating losses for the company's chipmaking business and that it expects to break even on an operating basis by about 2027.

Partially as a result of the missteps, Intel has outsourced about 30% of the total number of wafers to external contract manufacturers such as TSMC, Gelsinger said. It aims to bring that number down to roughly 20%.

My thoughts

Bad news for that guy on the WAN show that said he invested all his life savings. Still i think he'll be fine if he hodls long term. 

Sources

https://www.reuters.com/technology/intel-discloses-financials-foundry-business-2024-04-02/

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/02/intel-shares-fall-after-company-reveals-7-billion-operating-loss-in-foundry-business.html

That might explain an investor presentation they did earlier this week. I wrote more about it at link below, although I focused on the tech more than the financials.

Without looking at the latest results, they did say they were reorganising how they're reporting foundry results. Before, product design teams ate some of the costs, but now foundry is more separated. Be aware it might not be a like for like comparison. They've been doing a lot to get their fabs up to speed and it isn't cheap. Getting the newer nodes going will save them money so that "loss" today is investing for the future. The more you spend, the more you save. Wait, wrong company 😄 

In short, I don't feel this is significant at all as long as it puts them in the right place going forwards.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, Si3Rra_7 said:

Bad news for that guy on the WAN show that said he invested all his life savings. Still i think he'll be fine if he hodls long term.

Operating loss really isn't that surprising or against what Intel has been saying. They are investing in a lot of new things and expanding, you have to spend money first before you can make it and jointly customers.

People too easily forget, Intel silicon fabrication was the industry benchmark for so long, none of the knowledge and talent has left.

I would have been more surprised if Intel announced profits for their Foundry division. They are investing heavily into catching up with TSMC manufacturing, which is fiendishly expensive, even with the generous USA and EU government handout they have been getting.

Intel says the 18A process is on track, which is really great news. Intel is leaving behind the notorious 10nm forever delay.

I'm more surprised that the investors have been caught by surprise by the news... Isn't the market supposed to "price in" expected news? That's like... their whole job!

7 minutes ago, 05032-Mendicant-Bias said:

I'm more surprised that the investors have been caught by surprise by the news... Isn't the market supposed to "price in" expected news? That's like... their whole job!

Financial market analysts don't know their asses from their elbows when it comes to tech, even "tech focused" ones. Intel making a massive loss in the lead up to new technology and products is a huge sign of good potential and that's why I would be recommending to invest because you'll miss the boat otherwise. That is obviously not actual financial advice but if you actually know the sector and the technology developments happening then nobody knows better than yourself. I mean that is exactly how I 3x-5x my money on AMD stock, I knew Zen was coming soon, I knew it was tracking rather well and the only direction the stock was going to go was up. Intel is a little different since it's stock value isn't in the actual gutter heh.

On 4/4/2024 at 8:37 AM, leadeater said:

Financial market analysts don't know their asses from their elbows when it comes to tech, even "tech focused" ones. Intel making a massive loss in the lead up to new technology and products is a huge sign of good potential and that's why I would be recommending to invest because you'll miss the boat otherwise. That is obviously not actual financial advice but if you actually know the sector and the technology developments happening then nobody knows better than yourself. I mean that is exactly how I 3x-5x my money on AMD stock, I knew Zen was coming soon, I knew it was tracking rather well and the only direction the stock was going to go was up. Intel is a little different since it's stock value isn't in the actual gutter heh.

Agreed, financial markets don’t understand anything in regards to tech (usually at least). The fact they were surprised to see these losses and chalk it up to bad management and Intel becoming a failed foundry business is ridiculous. Like you see Intel is spending tons of cap ex on foundry expansion. That cost has to be assigned somewhere, so to say they are doing it wrong because they have losses is just childish.

Also if their foundry plans were so bad and miss managed I doubt Microsoft would have signed up with them to fab chips.

CPU: Amd Ryzen 5 3600 (4.2ghz) // Board: ASrock B550 PG Velocita // Cooler: EK AIO 280 D-RGB // RAM: Kingston Fury Beast 3200 (16gb 8x8) // GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frzr /// PSU: XPG Core Reactor 850w /// Storage: WD SN850x 1tb (boot) + Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD (low priority storage) // Case: NZXT H5 Flow

This is pretty sad because short of a full government bailout of the state side chip manufacturing (which is an awful thought) it doesn't appear a viable option. Which without going too political makes Taiwan chip manufacturing even more vulnerable to outside factors.

It's very likely it's just a bad looking number because of restructuring. Also with Intel opening foundries to 3rd parties, that's a huge potential seeing how TSMC is oversaturated, Samsung slightly underwhelming, GloFo seems to almost disappear from mainstream and the rest are small players or very focused like Siemens who mostly make chips for industrial use.

People often diss Intel nodes as "bad", but we have to admit they know how to make chips run at stupid high clocks and if that's application even at expense of some power envelope, it's worth using. Would be kinda ironic if Intel made chips for AMD and NVIDIA tho.

There is also potential for Qualcomm and Mediatek, at least for lower end chipsets, but potentially even higher end ones. We'll see how all that will roll out in the future.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

It's very likely it's just a bad looking number because of restructuring. Also with Intel opening foundries to 3rd parties, that's a huge potential seeing how TSMC is oversaturated, Samsung slightly underwhelming, GloFo seems to almost disappear from mainstream and the rest are small players or very focused like Siemens who mostly make chips for industrial use.

People often diss Intel nodes as "bad", but we have to admit they know how to make chips run at stupid high clocks and if that's application even at expense of some power envelope, it's worth using. Would be kinda ironic if Intel made chips for AMD and NVIDIA tho.

There is also potential for Qualcomm and Mediatek, at least for lower end chipsets, but potentially even higher end ones. We'll see how all that will roll out in the future.

Ngl, it still boggles my mind a bit to see that 4.7 GHz number in task manager, coming out of a 28 watt laptop chip (i7-1165G7), and a pretty cheap Dell at that. This was a pretty lofty mark not very long ago, generally reserved for overclocking. 

It’s not as though Intel’s process sucks by any means. Rather, the competition has drastically stepped up their game. For the customer, certainly not a bad problem to have. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

This sounds more like too much money is wasted on paying the management.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

13 minutes ago, williamcll said:

This sounds more like too much money is wasted on paying the management.

that, cover lost diversion (intel nics)

stock buy back. spending to much money to force oem to use you.

a list of things tbh

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

as an investor in amd, I am rejoicing (except I only use Intel CPUs in my machines so I'm split a little)

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.