Can I control a kids car with a xbox/ps controller

Max853

Hello! I found a kids car at goodwill, and after looking on amazon i belive it is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Aosom-Compatible-Battery-Powered-Electric-Lamborghini/dp/B09CYQYQMP/ref=asc_df_B09CYQYQMP/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=532475848992&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1450991944466899001&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015734&hvtargid=pla-1419062846148&mcid=bf0679b8064d35509de6cf2c2fe9fbca&gclid=CjwKCAjwtqmwBhBVEiwAL-WAYUJK7lwYjXZFLnO6rixmRWjGITti53ZFgbm4x9ysyFDZKAlc3snbmRoCtR4QAvD_BwE&th=1

Anyways, it did not come with the parent controller but it moves fine. I think the controller is a generic 2.4 ghz controller, so i was just wondering if there was any way i could program the controller and make it work with a xbox or ps or any controller that operates at 2.4ghz? Thanks you guys!

Probably can design a board and software to translate the controllers signals to traditional RC transmitter that in turn talks to the car, but this is one of those things that if you had the skills to do you probably wouldn't be asking this. I can certainly see in theory how it could work being familiar with Xbox controllers and RC Tx/Rx gear, but I certainly don't have the skills to design a board and write software to do what I want. 

An Arduino and a basic RC Tx module can probably do it. Certainly not going to be using the Bluetooth Tx built into the Xbox controller, however. 

it's not because it happens to be on the same frequency that it's in any way compatible.

without the original controller to reverse engineer you have a better chance at 'headcrabbing' your own RC hardware into the car than to make your own wireless controller to connect to the car.

Guilty has it.
Is it possible? Yeah! Def. 
Can *you* do it? Probably, but it's gonna be a LOT of effort to learn all the skills involved. Honestly, even picking the path to follow to get control of it is gonna be rocky.
Should you do it? Probably not. Doing it without a reference is gonna SUCK. If you had the controller, you could just sniff for the signals with a cheap SDR or see if it had a JTAG spot on the PCB and hook that up to dump the ROM, or use an oscilloscope and debugger to.... etc. As it is, you're starting in the dark and, from the content of your question, sound like you don't know where to start

The proper thing to do would be to contact the company and have them send you a controller with instructions to pair or just return and reorder

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

8 minutes ago, OddOod said:

The proper thing to do would be to contact the company and have them send you a controller with instructions to pair or just return and reorder

agreed, this would probably be OP's best bet.

With a lot of luck it could be using one of the R/C protocols reversed and implemented in https://www.multi-module.org/ that you could use with an R/C TX... but that'd be a long shot and if not you'd be out of luck without the original remote to reverse, in which case you'd have to hope replacing the receiver is possible.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Someone asking to do something similar IN /r/arduino and even they are saying just buy proper Tx, that's when you know it isn't worth it. 

https://old.reddit.com/r/arduino/comments/qr42h6/xbox_controller_as_remote_for_rc_plane/ 

do people not like the new Reddit or something? All i see is "old.reddit.com" links, everywhere I look... 😄 

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

8 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

do people not like the new Reddit or something? All i see is "old.reddit.com" links, everywhere I look... 😄 

I can't speak for others but I much prefer the basic old interface.

7 hours ago, PowerPCFan said:

do people not like the new Reddit or something?

No.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

13 hours ago, Kilrah said:

No.

Yes.

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!

40 minutes ago, djksm said:

Yes.

Yes. I love the new Reddit lol

I'm putting all my posts in Comic Sans from now on (for just today)

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

21 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I can't speak for others but I much prefer the basic old interface.

Is there a Old Reddit extension that you and others use, or do you add "old." to the beginning of every reddit link? 

2 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

Is there a Old Reddit extension that you and others use, or do you add "old." to the beginning of every reddit link? 

There is, actually. My primary bookmark is of course an Old link but for everything else this takes care of it. https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/old-reddit-redirect/dneaehbmnbhcippjikoajpoabadpodje