Unknown very regular buzzing sound

Go to solution Solved by Mark Kaine,
1 hour ago, Plotter said:

really was hopping such noise would be known to avoid this steps

yes. its known. its called fan bearings. you can just replace the fans and hope that improves it.

but the truth is its almost inaudible most of the time, phones have a weird tendency to pick up noise for some reason, everything sounds totally exaggerated.

btw i know which fan does this in my pc (the noctua cpu cooler one) but since it doesn't always do it, and i almost never hear it... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

works fine ~

Hi,

I've noticed this morning a strange sound from my computer. It seem to come from the power supply area but it's hard to locate.
I'm used to buzzing beeping and flashing stuff in a computer, but I dont remember hearing this one in the past.
What's bother me the most is how regular it is. 6sec of silence follower by 10sec of buzzzzz
You can hear it here, is stop at 00:06 and start again around 00:12

I've learn the hard way from mechanical hard drive that such noise should not be ignored 😞
Obviously, I cant just swap the power supply to test if it's really from it as it's not something I have in spare.

I think the buzz noise appear this night after a Windows reboot or shutdown (no idea why it rebooted, maybe an update. I left it on sleep and found it off) but it's pretty quiet so i'm not sure

Do any of you already heard something similar?

Thanks a lot

sounds like a fan bearing 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

You should try to isolate it by testing components or removing/disabling them.

• Unplug your HDDs to see if the noise is gone
  • Test GPU for coil whine with heavy loads such as games to see if higher usage affects it
  • Unplug all possible fans temporarily (one by one if nessessary) to remove extra noise or narrow it down to specific fans if they're the culprit

Also I've amplified the audio by 800% as it wasn't easy to hear it from the video at max volume.

5 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

You should try to isolate it by testing components or removing/disabling them.

• Unplug your HDDs to see if the noise is gone
  • Test GPU for coil whine with heavy loads such as games to see if higher usage affects it
  • Unplug all possible fans temporarily (one by one if nessessary) to remove extra noise or narrow it down to specific fans if they're the culprit

Also I've amplified the audio by 800% as it wasn't easy to hear it from the video at max volume.

Thank a lot for the audio file!
I'll try to remove some component and see if anything change. I just hope i'll be able to do it without fully turning on the computer because... I dont have a lot of unnecessary one.
I really was hopping such noise would be known to avoid this steps ^^'

I'll be honest with you... its probably nothing... it doesn't sound like coilwhine... its just fans probably... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Plotter said:

really was hopping such noise would be known to avoid this steps

yes. its known. its called fan bearings. you can just replace the fans and hope that improves it.

but the truth is its almost inaudible most of the time, phones have a weird tendency to pick up noise for some reason, everything sounds totally exaggerated.

btw i know which fan does this in my pc (the noctua cpu cooler one) but since it doesn't always do it, and i almost never hear it... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

works fine ~

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Thanks, that's the kind of comment I was hopping for ^^'
But to be honest, this was loud enough to me to notice it, especially due to it's intermittent behavior (I would probably not notice a constant one)

Quick update on this tho: As soon as I've remove my pc to test it on the floor (kinda hard to handle where it stand)... the sound stop... so no test possible 😕
Could be a simple good new, but next day, when I turned it on, it started again... The worst kind of issue!!
It seem gone again for now, so I'll buy the "its probably nothing" theory and be ok with it.

So thanks a lot for all your help ♥ it's really appreciated!